Sponsored

Catalytic Converters & Boost.. Disaster waiting to happen? (Street / Strip )

OP
OP
15Oxford5oh

15Oxford5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0.
How much track use are you planning? If it's just an occasional test and tune visit, you aren't likely to get in any trouble. The cats aren't going to plug on the first or second run at the drags. Your boost gauge should give you more than fair warning of any plugging. Changing from Flowmaster 40s to Magnaflow dropped my boost pressure 3#. Your cats will be a long way from failure at 3# more boist pressure. For reference I put over 50000 miles on my last Terminator after putting on a Whipple 2.3., which was at 125000 vehicle miles. The boost never budged.

Funny how people's perceptions change over time. You can smell a decatted car several car lengths back. Back in pre cat days (dating myself here) all cars smelled like that and you wouldn't notice.
thanks for the insight, yea I’m definitely getting mixed reviews on keeping the cats vs just getting rid of them. I’ll probably run the car once or twice a month at the local test and tune, maybe 2-3 passes a session.
Sponsored

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
Get rid of the cats if you are going to keep it boosted. Tune will take care of the check engine light due to no cats.

Every tuner I have talked to knows of multiple people who lost entire engines due to cat failure on boosted cars.

Go boost and e85, no cats.

slime_bullet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Is my car the only car that has no smell with no cats? Never have I had to roll up the windows, ever, or even smell the fumes

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Is my car the only car that has no smell with no cats? Never have I had to roll up the windows, ever, or even smell the fumes
Sometimes my car smells like octane booster if I go a little on the heavy side but not gas fumes. And no cel for that matter either.

Sponsored

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm one of them [wanting to stay legal that is]. Living in the Royal Kingdom Of Kalifornia, it is becoming increasing tough to get smogged with modifications. Many good smog shops have been shut down for minor infractions so there are lots more un-registered cars here still on the road as a result. Mine is my daily with the '50-state legal EB tune' and I haven't yet gone thru my first smog yet [the car is less than six years old], so I want to see what happens the first time, before I do anything else.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Benchmade_user

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I blew my engine the day after I got my supercharger installed because my cats melted. They were bbk high flow cats. I would definitely get rid of them if I were you.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
this would not be legal in california or carb states
Doesn't mean they won't pass emissions test.. cause they will. Companies don't wanna deal with California's bullshit system.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Doesn't mean they won't pass emissions test.. cause they will. Companies don't wanna deal with California's bullshit system.
You won't pass emissions in california with those cats. OEM needs to be in place or magnaflow is the only company who makes a CARB approved cat. They look for the EO stamped into each cat or you fail the visual.