Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey,

Not sure if this is just me but does the left exhaust look out of whack with the other side? 🧐

Is this a normal thing with the active exhaust; perhaps just poor assembly? Or is this a fault and something I can potentially fix? I haven't had a good poke about yet, just noticed it when I came home today. The car has had an H-pipe fitted but can't see how that would cause it to sag on the one side.

Exhaust2.jpg
Exhaust1.jpg

My OCD is not happy about this. 😁

Thanks.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
You might need to loosen the clamps at the h pipe and realign your exhaust. I've also seen a few stock mustangs around that have crooked tips so it might have been like that prior to the hpipe. If you can't turn the hpipe to get it aligned you may be able to bend the bracket for the hanger to get it lined up. I had to do that on my borla exhaust. No matter how I turned it I couldn't get them level until I bent the hanger slightly.

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
Looks to me like both sides are off but the left side (US drivers side) is worse. I agree with Zrussian13 about adjusting from the Hpipe back to rotate those tips up.

OP
OP
Nodster

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks both, I'll see what I can do. :like:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
One helpful tip that I did when lining up mufflers is I put a towel on the end of my jack and put the muffler in the position I wanted it with the jack before tightening all the clamps. This being stock and not an aftermarket catback limits what you can do there to the H-Pipe clamp. Maybe even try keeping it in place with the jack then tightening the H-Pipe clamp that way one side at a time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nodster

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
One helpful tip that I did when lining up mufflers is I put a towel on the end of my jack and put the muffler in the position I wanted it with the jack before tightening all the clamps. This being stock and not an aftermarket catback limits what you can do there to the H-Pipe clamp. Maybe even try keeping it in place with the jack then tightening the H-Pipe clamp that way one side at a time.
Great tip thank you for that.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Hey,

Not sure if this is just me but does the left exhaust look out of whack with the other side? 🧐

Is this a normal thing with the active exhaust; perhaps just poor assembly? Or is this a fault and something I can potentially fix? I haven't had a good poke about yet, just noticed it when I came home today. The car has had an H-pipe fitted but can't see how that would cause it to sag on the one side.

Exhaust2.jpg
Exhaust1.jpg

My OCD is not happy about this. 😁

Thanks.
Yes it does. Very noticeable

OP
OP
Nodster

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Who’s H-Pipe ?
You might be a victim of the cheaper band clamps being used by some vendors.
Thanks, it was the Steeda H-pipe. Would they be one of those vendors?

Sponsored

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
When I put my H pipe on I made sure I lined them up. But now mine looks like the pic you showed because I did a quick test of another style muffler and didn't like it so went back but was rushing and didn't take the extra time to align perfectly. its no biggie as I will be getting a welded in set soon. But this definitely comes from alignment with hpipe and clamps.

OP
OP
Nodster

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
OP
OP
Nodster

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When I put my H pipe on I made sure I lined them up. But now mine looks like the pic you showed because I did a quick test of another style muffler and didn't like it so went back but was rushing and didn't take the extra time to align perfectly. its no biggie as I will be getting a welded in set soon. But this definitely comes from alignment with hpipe and clamps.
Amazing OK thanks. Annoying as I had a garage fit it for me. Hopefully get a look at it this weekend.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Thanks, it was the Steeda H-pipe. Would they be one of those vendors?
Personally I have a lot of respect for the Steeda brand.
The truth is, Torca Accu-Seal clamps are the industries Gold standard for a reason.
You might want to consider using Accu-Seal clamps torqued to their spec. of 40~60 foot pounds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nodster

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Personally I have a lot of respect for the Steeda brand.
The truth is, Torca Accu-Seal clamps are the industry standard for a reason.
You might want to consider using Accu-Seal clamps torqued to their spec. of 40~60 foot pounds.
Merlin Motorsports in the UK do the Norma stainless exhaust clamps which I think are the same company as the Torca clamps. I'd have to measure to see what size I need. 2.5" (63.5mm)?
Sponsored