Sponsored

If everything is fast and agile, will sports car exist? Will performance get limited?

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
With electrics coming (damn them!!) and cars and SUVs leveraging the same foundations and drivetrains and with the fact that electric has full toque at initial throttle, it appears that everything will be come fast and agile. Add to that electronic stability and all the other nannies, it seems cars are more capable now than what our roads allow.

Do you think our 2+2 low riding, pony/muscle car segment will dwindle and possibly go extinct?

Do you think family affordable sports cars will become a thing of the past?

Are we losing interest in 'the drive' IS the destination not how we get to a destination?

Do you think government will be forced to put a limit on performance to keep cars within the current limits of the law?
Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
My opinion: Pony car enthusiasts don't need to fear the Electric vehicle trend. The ICE isn't going to go extinct in the blink of an eye. EVs aren't without drawbacks and when those drawbacks are front and center in the discussion, maybe we'll all get to settle for an ICE/EV compromise.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I think EV will spell the end of car culture for the vast majority of people within the next generation. It's very easy to look at the direction we are headed and let's face it, no government is going to let every single car on the road do 0-60 in under 1 second and 1/4 mile in under 8. Those speeds will be easily achieved on every EV car within the next 10 years. Get ready for regulation, governance, and control.

My thoughts here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...p-without-electric-assist.174389/post-3538329

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I think EV will spell the end of car culture for the vast majority of people within the next generation.
Respectfully disagree. If it has wheels and rolls there's an enthusiast market for it. Cars won't stop being cool because the power plant changed.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
it appears that everything will be come fast and agile.
Just because they have instant torque doesn't mean they are fast and especially not agile. A heavy battery pack does not help with agility.

Cars will continue to be built for a price and performance point even EVs. There will still be budget oriented EVs that have the equivalent of 120hp. And most middle of the road EVs are not exactly setting the world on fire with their speed. Not everything will be like the Plaid.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Respectfully disagree. If it has wheels and rolls there's an enthusiast market for it. Cars won't stop being cool because the power plant changed.
+1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I think EV will spell the end of car culture for the vast majority of people within the next generation. It's very easy to look at the direction we are headed and let's face it, no government is going to let every single car on the road do 0-60 in under 1 second and 1/4 mile in under 8. Those speeds will be easily achieved on every EV car within the next 10 years. Get ready for regulation, governance, and control.

My thoughts here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...p-without-electric-assist.174389/post-3538329
Well, I think it will be some time before all EVs are 1-second cars. Right now, it's only very expensive Telsa's, Taycan's that have that enormous performance, and only their top of the range variants. That said, I agree with you that if people are driving like maniacs then there's a risk of government intervention.

As for me, this coming Mach 1 is my last ICE hurrah. I'll modify it, have fun with it. But when the 2.0 version of the Taycan and AMG EV's come out, I'm probably going EV.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; Several thoughts on this but only one for now. The weight of the battery packs will be detrimental to handling.
That's true, although with the weight so low, AWD and AWsteering, they are already okay at handling...

performance.JPG

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think our 2+2 low riding, pony/muscle car segment will dwindle and possibly go extinct?
yes. drop the '+2' to live longer.
EV are hardly 'nimble' and the very opposite of light. Porche has done a remarkable job controlling the dynamics of a 2+ton beast but the jury is still out on lesser manufactures doing anything about the consequences of excessive weight.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
With electrics coming...
They're not. Not in any substantial numbers.

What is probably coming is a lot more 4 cylinder/turbo stuff.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
That's true, although with the weight so low, AWD and AWsteering, they are already okay at handling...

performance.JPG
Hello; Yes you have mentioned one of the other thoughts. Weight which is low in a chassis is better than higher. The battery placements i have seen schematics for are usually very low. A lower center of gravity help a lot even with more weight.
The suspension and brake parts will be an issue. I have worked on 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and a few 1 ton trucks/vans. The suspension/brakes on the 1 ton are much beefier and more heavy to handle the weight. All this can be dealt with as witnessed by the many pickups and SUV's around.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I am in the boat that a hydrogen car is the technology to be invested in electric is just a gimmick feel good environmentally friendly but not actually environmentally friendly.
to answer your question though, no as others have said there will always be an enthusiast. Strip weight add power still works for electric.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
They're not. Not in any substantial numbers.

What is probably coming is a lot more 4 cylinder/turbo stuff.
You are wrong there. Like it or not, LOTS of EV's are coming in the next few years. We are at less than 1% of all vehicles on the road now, but 2% of all new vehicles sold are currently EV's. Over the next 1-2 years that will double. And double again by 2026. They are coming, and like a tidal wave. I can't see myself buying one for 10 years or so, but could change depending on what comes out.