Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
and PP0001 even bid on it lol.

I can see why the infotainment and AC is desirable - the cars are so ridiculous, it’s just cool to have the added features. I don’t think as many are appreciating the stripper concept that has been popular with other brands - yet. I think it’s awesome that they produced them and there will be a day when people all of a sudden get it.

I looked into a way to get the R radio cover but it required a whole control panel section.
Consider however there are also those of us who are hardcore into stripped down versions of a car, such as myself, who still wouldn't prefer a base R. Back in 2017 when I bought my R I passed on a couple base R's selling for less, and one of my first posts on this forum was actually asking what would be involved in adding a radio to a base car. The frustration comes from the fact that the GT350 and even the R is heavier than I'd like to see in a track focused car. To take a 3600+ pound car and decide you're going to strip it down by removing the radio and AC just doesn't make sense to me. If we're talking an F40, then yes I'd want the stripped down, no door panels with just a pull wire, inoperable window with the lexan slider, and race seats in full teeth rattling glory. If someone offered me an even trade for a base R today I'd still decline. There are plenty of manufacturers that have achieved real chassis weight loss aside from just not installing your AC compressor and radio head. Furthermore, I like being able to enjoy my cars with other people, and I'm not about to tell a passenger that they're sweating and can't turn the radio on because it makes the car rarer.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Consider however there are also those of us who are hardcore into stripped down versions of a car, such as myself, who still wouldn't prefer a base R. Back in 2017 when I bought my R I passed on a couple base R's selling for less, and one of my first posts on this forum was actually asking what would be involved in adding a radio to a base car. The frustration comes from the fact that the GT350 and even the R is heavier than I'd like to see in a track focused car. To take a 3600+ pound car and decide you're going to strip it down by removing the radio and AC just doesn't make sense to me. If we're talking an F40, then yes I'd want the stripped down, no door panels with just a pull wire, inoperable window with the lexan slider, and race seats in full teeth rattling glory. If someone offered me an even trade for a base R today I'd still decline. There are plenty of manufacturers that have achieved real chassis weight loss aside from just not installing your AC compressor and radio head. Furthermore, I like being able to enjoy my cars with other people, and I'm not about to tell a passenger that they're sweating and can't turn the radio on because it makes the car rarer.
That's why you buy another one that has the radio and the AC....

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Cool video. Back in 87 when I was 19 I was deciding between a new 87Gt and a 87GN. I bought the Gt. To this day I would love to have a GN, or obviously a GNx. Thanks for posting.
Saw a neighbor who hopped up his GN only to crash into a creek and get killed in ‘88. I have always appreciated that GN/GNX/Cyclone offering as formidable beasts. They definitely were not my grandfather’s Buick.

$150k for a 700-mile HEPR is great to hear.

Last edited:

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Bought my GN in 2000, it had 30k miles on it and it was 1 owner. i should've never sold it

I paid $8200 for it

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I’d regret that to. Lol. But hindsight is always 20-20.
@Inthehighdesert do all the R's come with red calipers and the 350s black? Are they the same brakes with just a different color? Looking at 350s but like the red calipers. Is that a an option like the Mach 1? I ask you because you have both.

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Great video. Thanks for posting. Former multiple GNX owner here. It's hard to hold on to a car for 30+ years. It can be a lot of work. But yea, GNXs are awesome and were the best at the time. 👍💥❤

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
They do. Painting or powder coating them isn’t a big deal depending on your skill level. I haven’t looked in to the Mach 1’s and the specifics regarding brake calipers. Here’s a pic of my rapid red’s calipers I did in the rapid red tri coat.

@Inthehighdesert do all the R's come with red calipers and the 350s black? Are they the same brakes with just a different color? Looking at 350s but like the red calipers. Is that a an option like the Mach 1? I ask you because you have both.
349C389B-A5DD-464D-A80A-60B38D392496.jpeg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
They do. Painting or powder coating them isn’t a big deal depending on your skill level. I haven’t looked in to the Mach 1’s and the specifics regarding brake calipers. Here’s a pic of my rapid red’s calipers I did in the rapid red tri coat.

I like your style.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)

Nice. I'm familiar with painting calipers. I was just more interested in knowing if they're the same brakes (size/pistons) and if they're just a different color for the different car.

Btw, the terrain near your place is awesome.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Nice. I'm familiar with painting calipers. I was just more interested in knowing if they're the same brakes (size/pistons) and if they're just a different color for the different car.

Btw, the terrain near your place is awesome.
Calipers are the same.

I would say his place is more impressive than the terrain.
Sponsored