Sponsored

Mach 1 or GT350…

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
Anyone have both or have driven both? Impressions? If you had to pick one which would you go with?:

Used GT350 or New Mach 1
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Aw lawd, we're about to re-open this can of worms...

I have only fairly briefly driven a GT350, and I don't yet have my Mach 1 as I painfully wait for it to ship from the dealer to home. That said, given my experience with the Shelby, my previous 2015 GT PP, and a 2018 GT PP I've driven (as well as myriad youtube vids I've seen and articles I've read on pretty much every recent V8 Mustang trim), I think most people would agree that the GT350 is at least a slightly better driving experience... but there are practicality tradeoffs that may make it not worth it.

The GT350's drivetrain is going to be a good bit less reliable than that in the Mach 1. Yeah, a bespoke, high-revving engine is sexy as hell, but the 5.0 in the Mach 1 has been fine tuned and reinforced countless times over the past decade... and it really doesn't sound or drive much worse. Arguably just different. Power/performance differences will be fairly negligible. Mach 1 will have slightly more modern tech, as well, and be brand new with a full warranty for the same price (if not less).

So if your ONLY concern is sound, performance, and subjective driving experience, maybe you should go with the Shelby. But if you want the best overall car for the money, there is a strong argument for the Mach 1.

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
Some simple factors that I used in my acid test:
- Use case 100% track - 350, 100% street M1, 35 percent or less track - M1).
- Engine reliability M1.
- Long term value if you care for the car and use it less, 350.
- Seats and HP if getting the recaros and the HP in the M1, look harder at the 350. Not that this is a slam dunk but may tilt the decision.
- You, you wife and esp. family riding with you? Once you cross into multiple people, tilt toward M1.
- Drivers. You - toss up, you and others tilt toward M1.
- Display. A factor. Do you like the digital, does it drive you nuts?

Have fun. For me it was an easy decision.

Ctodd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach1

I have only fairly briefly driven a GT350, and I don't yet have my Mach 1 as I painfully wait for it to ship from the dealer to home. That said, given my experience with the Shelby, my previous 2015 GT PP, and a 2018 GT PP I've driven (as well as myriad youtube vids I've seen and articles I've read on pretty much every recent V8 Mustang trim), I think most people would agree that the GT350 is at least a slightly better driving experience... but there are practicality tradeoffs that may make it not worth it.

The GT350's drivetrain is going to be a good bit less reliable than that in the Mach 1. Yeah, a bespoke, high-revving engine is sexy as hell, but the 5.0 in the Mach 1 has been fine tuned and reinforced countless times over the past decade... and it really doesn't sound or drive much worse. Arguably just different. Power/performance differences will be fairly negligible. Mach 1 will have slightly more modern tech, as well, and be brand new with a full warranty for the same price (if not less).

So if your ONLY concern is sound, performance, and subjective driving experience, maybe you should go with the Shelby. But if you want the best overall car for the money, there is a strong argument for the Mach 1.
Perfectly outlined. I agree

Sponsored

seeyalater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Mach 1
About 2 years ago I was looking to buy a used 2017-18 M2 or GT350 for about $40K and there we're plenty to find. I ended up buying the M2, which was an amazing car, but I just sold it and started looking at GT350s again. But now the same 2017's are going for $55k-60k and no way I'm paying that for a 5 year old car that will most likely be back to $37k-40k next year.

I then discovered the Mach 1 and placed an order for a fully loaded 2022 (FJG, HP, Recardo, etc) for $58K last month and should hopefully have it in March/April. It just seems like a better buy, more reliable and useable on the street, not to mention the newer instrument cluster and other bits.

Having said that, I still want a GT350 at some point when prices come back down. There's just something about the "Shelby" name. If a nice 2017 we're to pop up for $50K, I'd probably cancel my Mach 1 and take the GT350.

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
It's an old topic, but for me it was seeing the used GT350's skyrocket in price that made them a poor value-otherwise I'd have a 2-3 year old used GT350. In 2019 my plan was a used GT350. Combine the price increase with the reduced or lack of warranty and the voodoo's reliability history made it a non-starter. At the perfect time along came the Mach 1 with most of the other upgrades: transmission, suspension, coolers, large wheels/tires and it just made more sense. The car will be a weekend car, road trip car, and occasional autocross car for myself and the wife. It probably will not see a road course at least not until it's paid off.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
If they were both available new at msrp i would have bought a gt350 even though the mach 1 would be a better choice day to day. The used prices are just ick. Id rather have a new car at those prices.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

I would have agreed with everything you just wrote, prior to covid. Post-Covid supply and inflation issues, the "value" of the Mach1 is reduced.

The entire point (prior to covid) of a car like the Mach1 would have been to get 95% of the same car (with some admitted gaps, but also some improvements) for $10k less than the cost of the Shelby.

Prior to Covid, the SAME discussions and debates were true of the non-R vs the R. Is the incremental improvement worth the additional cost.

Prior to covid, the value of a GT500 was pretty solid. Now if it takes close to 6 digits to buy one, the amount of benefit you get from the car compared to the cost of it are diminished.

If you can get a Mach1 at MSRP or lower (including the HP) it's probably still a better value. I'm just not sure that's the case.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
There is a TON more GT350's than there will ever be M1's.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
There is a TON more GT350's than there will ever be M1's.
Given current circumstances, and only a two year run, I believe that the total number of Mach 1s will be far fewer than GT350s...

What irks me about the higher-end Mustangs is the lack of options choices on them. Why is it that a person has interior color options on a GT, and not the top tier cars? "Oh, you want a Shelby or Mach 1? Well, your interior color choices are black and black." Granted, there's always the aftermarket, but why the dearth of OEM choices? Look at the order guides, page upon page of options for an EB or GT, but like it or lump it on the top dogs (OK, horses).

Since someone brought it up, make the digital cluster a stand-alone option. A while ago I looked at a GT500 in a showroom just to see if the Recaros would fit me (no deal), and I honestly didn't care for the video game cluster. While it wouldn't keep me from purchasing a car, it would be nice not to be forced into it. Apparently I'm too much of a dinosaur to move beyond classic, easily read analog gauges.

Rant over.

OP
OP

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
GT350 cost was shocking and that’s one of the bigger reasons why I’m considering a Mach1. I can order one new under MSRP. Low mileage 6 year old GT350s are selling over their sticker price. 2020’s are selling 5-10 over their original sticker price. Just insane times for a used car. The one thing that gets me about the Mach1 is the hood. I do not like the look of the smooth hood. Shaker or even a little bump would’ve been good. But I can always swap the hood out, no biggie….

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I would have agreed with everything you just wrote, prior to covid. Post-Covid supply and inflation issues, the "value" of the Mach1 is reduced.
in comparison to what though? anything you compare the mach 1 to has also gone up in price.

The entire point (prior to covid) of a car like the Mach1 would have been to get 95% of the same car (with some admitted gaps, but also some improvements) for $10k less than the cost of the Shelby.
i would disagree slightly here. the point of the mach 1 for me was a gt350 without the voodoo. i'd say its close enough to have achieved that. throwing in the name/heritage is a bonus on top. no one ever thought the 2021 mach 1 would come in $10k less than a 2020 gt350. if they did they weren't paying attention.

Prior to Covid, the SAME discussions and debates were true of the non-R vs the R. Is the incremental improvement worth the additional cost.
i hadn't thought of that but that is a good comparison. :like:

Prior to covid, the value of a GT500 was pretty solid. Now if it takes close to 6 digits to buy one, the amount of benefit you get from the car compared to the cost of it are diminished.
i agree. i would love a gt500 but i can't justify that much money for a ford product.

If you can get a Mach1 at MSRP or lower (including the HP) it's probably still a better value. I'm just not sure that's the case.
many of us have purchased at 2% under invoice, at the same time prices of used gt350's have gone up. made the decision even easier.

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
I just went through this process choosing between a new Mach 1 and a used GT350. I work from home and have an old Tacoma to fetch groceries so I don't daily anything. I chose the Shelby for a couple of reasons. First, the look of the nose. The GT350 looks sinister to me. The Mach 1, Gt500 and GT look awesome but I prefer the GT350.A close second is the sound the voodoo makes. The sound this this makes is intoxicating. Third is the brakes. I paid almost as much for a 2020 GT350 as I could have ordered a 2021 Mach 1, so price was a wash. I found a very low mileage car in the color I prefer. I am really happy with my decision. I may have been equally as happy with the Mach 1, but I guess I will never know.
Sponsored