Sponsored

Ford Performance Oil Separator

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This is the extend of my mechanical skills, I'm sure I'm capable of more but I just lack the confidence and have a fear of jacking something up to the point where I would have to involve someone else. So I pick my mark with these sort of things, then farm the rest out to the experts. While I know how things work, don't ask me about how to do something mechanical, keep walking. Ask me what wheel cleaner to use or anything detailing related, I'm your man!

So, fitting a Ford Performance oil catch can on a Mustang could not be simpler for someone like me. This part was designed in tandem with the engine packaging itself. This is evident in the way it install so neatly, which I will elaborate more on as I go.

First step is to remove the engine cover to gain access to the hoses, in particular the one that connects to the inlet manifold.

Next, remove the existing hose connectors on the head and inlet manifold, these are released by pushing a tab on the side of the connection and gently lifting.

IMG-1592.jpg

IMG-1593.jpg

IMG-1595.jpg

Next is to remove a push clip that holds a wiring loom in place. This took the most time, as the wires are thin here and brute force would have caused a headache. This clip did not want to budge for me, in the end I got it removed just enough to the insert a blade and cut in free.

IMG-1596.jpg

IMG-1597.jpg

With that clip removed and the loom lifted a touch, this reveals the two holes where the catch can is attached to the rocker cover. As mentioned, this is where the OE-ness comes in, the unit is molded to fit just so and uses pre-existing holes to attach to.

IMG-1599.jpg

Next, attach to two supplied hoses, again a click on fitting.

IMG-1600.jpg

Now it's a matter of wiggling the unit into place, being sure to keep the wiring loom above the unit, and locate the push tabs into the holes on the rocker cover.

Tip of the Day - ensure the supplied push-pins are seated properly on the unit prior to attempting to install....................unlike this noob. One of them wasn't seated on mine and it popped off and dropped into the engine bay. :facepalm: Luckily for me, the pin dropped all the way through and landed under the front right tyre.

IMG-15912.jpg

The base of the push-pin should be flush with the body of the can, like below -

IMG-1603.jpg

Once wiggled into place, push the tabs down to secure it to the rocker cover.

IMG-1605.jpg

Now attach the new hoses to the head and inlet manifold. Fold the wiring loom back down and around the unit.

IMG-1604.jpg

IMG-1607.jpg

Re-install the engine cover and you are done.

IMG-1608.jpg

IMG-1610.jpg

As you can see, this addition is very discreet, very neat, very OE spec, just the way I like it. šŸ˜
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Still donā€™t understand why this is needed. Ford engineers would know if they were needed and they are too cheap to be a money issue. As the Coyote engine has port injection along with the direct injection any oil residue is washed away so not criticising anyoneā€™s decision, I just donā€™t see it as necessary.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Still donā€™t understand why this is needed. Ford engineers would know if they were needed and they are too cheap to be a money issue. As the Coyote engine has port injection along with the direct injection any oil residue is washed away so not criticising anyoneā€™s decision, I just donā€™t see it as necessary.
The concept is to catch oil vapors before they are directed back into the inlet manifold, preventing excessive oil deposits in the inlet manifold. Port or Direct Injection will not wash oil deposits from an inlet manifold.

occ100.jpg

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
This is the extend of my mechanical skills, I'm sure I'm capable of more but I just lack the confidence and have a fear of jacking something up to the point where I would have to involve someone else. So I pick my mark with these sort of things, then farm the rest out to the experts. While I know how things work, don't ask me about how to do something mechanical, keep walking. Ask me what wheel cleaner to use or anything detailing related, I'm your man!

So, fitting a Ford Performance oil catch can on a Mustang could not be simpler for someone like me. This part was designed in tandem with the engine packaging itself. This is evident in the way it install so neatly, which I will elaborate more on as I go.

First step is to remove the engine cover to gain access to the hoses, in particular the one that connects to the inlet manifold.

Next, remove the existing hose connectors on the head and inlet manifold, these are released by pushing a tab on the side of the connection and gently lifting.

IMG-1592.jpg

IMG-1593.jpg

IMG-1595.jpg

Next is to remove a push clip that holds a wiring loom in place. This took the most time, as the wires are thin here and brute force would have caused a headache. This clip did not want to budge for me, in the end I got it removed just enough to the insert a blade and cut in free.

IMG-1596.jpg

IMG-1597.jpg

With that clip removed and the loom lifted a touch, this reveals the two holes where the catch can is attached to the rocker cover. As mentioned, this is where the OE-ness comes in, the unit is molded to fit just so and uses pre-existing holes to attach to.

IMG-1599.jpg

IMG-1600.jpg

Now it's a matter of wiggling the unit into place, being sure to keep the wiring loom above the unit, and locate the push tabs into the holes on the rocker cover.

Tip of the Day - ensure the supplied push-pins are seated properly on the unit prior to attempting to install....................unlike this noob. One of them wasn't seated on mine and it popped off and dropped into the engine bay. :facepalm: Luckily for me, the pin dropped all the way through and landed under the front right tyre.

IMG-15912.jpg

IMG-1603.jpg

IMG-1605.jpg

Now attach the new hoses to the head and inlet manifold. Fold the wiring loom back down and around the unit.

IMG-1604.jpg

IMG-1607.jpg

IMG-1608.jpg

IMG-1610.jpg

As you can see, this addition is very discreet, very neat, very OE spec, just the way I like it. šŸ˜
That's how mine went too šŸ‘

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride

IMG-1592.jpg
Come on. Admit you only created this thread to showcase your spotless engine bay.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
The FP oil separator is a bit more cumbersome to drain than some other options I believe so a helpful tip I saw in another thread here is to temporarily disconnect one of the hoses from the FP canister and then insert a syringe such as this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293669766778

Makes it quick and easy to drain.

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible

IMG-1592.jpg

IMG-1593.jpg

IMG-1595.jpg

IMG-1596.jpg

IMG-1597.jpg

IMG-1599.jpg

IMG-1600.jpg

IMG-15912.jpg

IMG-1603.jpg

IMG-1605.jpg

IMG-1604.jpg

IMG-1607.jpg

IMG-1608.jpg

IMG-1610.jpg

Excellent photographic guide, many thanks, I might do this, how much is the kit?
I love the way people do these photo guides on forums. When we picked up our Lotus Elise from Sydney and drove it home to Tassie, I discovered that the radiator tank in the nose of the car had a pinhole leak. Thatā€™s a complete removal of the entire front end of the car to do, I found a step by step photo guide on a UK forum and 1 month after getting the car we had a new radiator flown over from the UK and my wife and I removed the front of the car, replaced the Rad. and put the car back together, could never have done it without this type of help from considerate forum members. Ma y thanks once again DFB5.0 šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ˜„

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Excellent photographic guide, many thanks, I might do this, how much is the kit?
I love the way people do these photo guides on forums. When we picked up our Lotus Elise from Sydney and drove it home to Tassie, I discovered that the radiator tank in the nose of the car had a pinhole leak. Thatā€™s a complete removal of the entire front end of the car to do, I found a step by step photo guide on a UK forum and 1 month after getting the car we had a new radiator flown over from the UK and my wife and I removed the front of the car, replaced the Rad. and put the car back together, could never have done it without this type of help from considerate forum members. Ma y thanks once again DFB5.0 šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ˜„
These links are for Australian owners -
2015-2017 -
https://www.herrodperformance.com.au/5-0l-5-2l-coyote-oil-air-separator-right-side/
https://www.themancavegarage.com.au...rue&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=35

2018- onward -
https://www.herrodperformance.com.au/2018-2021-5-0l-coyote-oil-air-separator/
https://www.themancavegarage.com.au...rue&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=35

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
How often is that required?
Early signs are that I am getting 7ml per 1000 miles

Sucked out the catch can :

D23-AB0-E6-4434-488-D-BB50-524-A167300-EC.jpg

Itā€™s collecting just under 7ml per 1000 miles :

FFC979-D4-ECD3-4-BCB-9-B83-6-DDD55-CBB8-D7.jpg

The oldest daughter will kill me if she sees that photo and knows what I get up to with her baking kit ā€¦ :giggle:

Happy with that considering the car doesnā€™t get ā€˜easyā€™ driving (itā€™s only just done itā€™s fourth commute), as itā€™s my second car every drive is ā€˜play timeā€™ and I like to let it rev ā€¦ :devil:

WD :like:
I think you need to balance these kind of questions to car usage though - easy driving v track time etc ...

As a guide mine is road usage, but I like to play and it isn't used for commuting or motorways much, I also like to let it rev.

If mpg can be used as a metric to judge usage, I'm averaging mid 12ā€™s to mid 14ā€™s (and that's a 'large' UK gallon for anyone stateside reading this), I don't doubt that if I was mostly cruising at low revs and highway miles the can would catch a lot less oil :like:

WD :like:

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
Last edited:

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
I might do this, how much is the kit?
I got mine from the US direct with a few other parts to even out freight costs.
  • 2018-2019 5.0L COYOTE OIL-AIR SEPARATOR RH
Ford P/N: M-6766-A50A

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6766-A50A
Ford USD Retail: $215 now $225
Packaged Dimensions 7.75" x 6" x 7.75
Packaged Weight 1.45 lb(s)

Australia:

Herrod Performance
https://www.herrodperformance.com.au/5-0l-5-2l-coyote-oil-air-separator-right-side/
AUD $297. Now AUD $373
+ shipping

US:
CJ Pony Parts

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...it-passenger-side-5-0l-2018-2019/p/M6766A50A/
USD $188.99 now USD $199.99 (- 6% discount) = USD $188.00
Black Friday 2019 USD $179.54
+ shipping.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

IMG-1592.jpg

IMG-1593.jpg

IMG-1595.jpg

IMG-1596.jpg

IMG-1597.jpg

IMG-1599.jpg

IMG-1600.jpg

IMG-15912.jpg

IMG-1603.jpg

IMG-1605.jpg

IMG-1604.jpg

IMG-1607.jpg

IMG-1608.jpg

IMG-1610.jpg

Nice installation write up! They do a great job keeping unwanted oil vapors out of the engine. We sell them here at www.lethalperformance.com. Ford Performance Mustang Coyote 5.0L / VooDoo 5.2L Passenger Side Oil-Air Separator - M-6766-A50 (M-6766-A50)
Sponsored