Sponsored

Belt Replacement

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
Hello ,
My 2015 gt premium has 95000 miles on it with the original drive belts. Should I be thinking of replacement asap? If so does anyone have a DIY for the job or is it better to take to the dealer? Thank you in advance
Sponsored

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yes, belts should be replaced. I replaced mine on my daily at around 100k, but was told that I should have done it sooner. It was fairly easy on my daily driver, so probably isn't much more difficult on the Mustang.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hello ,
My 2015 gt premium has 95000 miles on it with the original drive belts. Should I be thinking of replacement asap? If so does anyone have a DIY for the job or is it better to take to the dealer? Thank you in advance
Check into the Gates Green HD belt. They are non slip.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
GearWrench makes a nice belt tool that helps with this a lot.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
May be overkill, but I just do serpentines at 50k miles.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
No DIY? It can't get much easier! :)

1. Rotate the accessory drive belt tensioner counter clockwise and remove the accessory drive belt.

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Sponsored

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Check into the Gates Green HD belt. They are non slip.
Do they you know if Gates makes one for the EB Stage 2? I replaced the first Continental with a new Continental which is different as they no longer make the one that came with the SC.

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

1. Rotate the accessory drive belt tensioner counter clockwise and remove the accessory drive belt.

It's a lot easier with two people, one to pull the pulley with breaker and one to slip the belt on the smooth pulley, at least on my setup.

Reactions: boB

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP

Ahem... I do not think there's a tensioner in 2nd gen coyote.

To remove you just need to cut the old belt.

Putting new belt on is tricky. I found one youtube video on this and while it was not very clear it gave an idea. It involves using a zip tie to pull the belt on the pulley and then cutting the tie. Easier than with the tensioner once you did it once.

Alternatively you could buy a tensioner from prev gen coyote. Engine block still has all things to be able to install it. In this case you still cut old belt, then install the tensioner, then use breaker bar to rotate the tensioner and put new belt on. One man job. And the new belt you buy would be from prev gen coyote as well as it has to be longer.

You can find diy on this on one of the topics dedicared to bbq tick.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Ahem... I do not think there's a tensioner in 2nd gen coyote.

To remove you just need to cut the old belt.

Putting new belt on is tricky. I found one youtube video on this and while it was not very clear it gave an idea. It involves using a zip tie to pull the belt on the pulley and then cutting the tie. Easier than with the tensioner once you did it once.

Alternatively you could buy a tensioner from prev gen coyote. Engine block still has all things to be able to install it. In this case you still cut old belt, then install the tensioner, then use breaker bar to rotate the tensioner and put new belt on. One man job. And the new belt you buy would be from prev gen coyote as well as it has to be longer.

You can find diy on this on one of the topics dedicared to bbq tick.
Harumph... ;) I have a 2019 3rd gen, the main belt does have a tensioner but the AC compressor belt does not (even though the service manual shows one).

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Harumph... ;) I have a 2019 3rd gen, the main belt does have a tensioner but the AC compressor belt does not (even though the service manual shows one).
Yes, I was referring that ac belt :)

There was this guess that installing a tensioner would possibly eliminate bbq tick and so I bought and installed one. No diffeence, so I rolled back to self tension belt to have no warranty issues.

I did not touch the second belt, although you probably cannot change it without ac belt replacement. You probably cannot remove it without cutting it first.
Sponsored