Sponsored

Roush Coils

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Anyone who hits the track frequently like these? Am I just paying for the name and there are better set ups?

Also, why does the front drop more than the back? Don't you want a neutral ride height for the track?
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
For track use, pass on these.
Most of the mainstream products are for stance bros.

If you mean business, look into MCS, JRI, Ohlins, Penske, KW Clubsports. A lot of national champs run MCS doubles

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For track use, pass on these.
Most of the mainstream products are for stance bros.

If you mean business, look into MCS, JRI, Ohlins, Penske, KW Clubsports. A lot of national champs run MCS doubles
Roush is for the stance crowd??

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Roush is for the stance crowd??
I think the Roush coilovers are a decent mainstream product that can do everything pretty well for your average buyer. Which is exactly who they sell to. They want to sell a product that has the largest volume of potential buyers. You can use them to slam your car to the ground, have fun in the canyons, and use them for a casual track event a few times a year.

Do they have as good of valving as dedicated racing brands? No
Do they have the adjustability that dedicated racing brands do? No
Will they withstand the abuse of a serious track rat or dedicated race car? No

If you go to HPDE events for fun a handful of times a year, the Roush ones will probably be fine. If you see yourself competing in the future, skip the Roush kit and aim for one of the brands I listed above.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the Roush coilovers are a decent mainstream product that can do everything pretty well for your average buyer. Which is exactly who they sell to. They want to sell a product that has the largest volume of potential buyers. You can use them to slam your car to the ground, have fun in the canyons, and use them for a casual track event a few times a year.

Do they have as good of valving as dedicated racing brands? No
Do they have the adjustability that dedicated racing brands do? No
Will they withstand the abuse of a serious track rat or dedicated race car? No

If you go to HPDE events for fun a handful of times a year, the Roush ones will probably be fine. If you see yourself competing in the future, skip the Roush kit and aim for one of the brands I listed above.
I'm just a hobbiest and can't really go out that often so the real racing gear probably isn't for me. I ought to stick to good mods for the street.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just a hobbiest and can't really go out that often so the real racing gear probably isn't for me. I ought to stick to good mods for the street.
Nothing wrong with that, sir!

My personal opinion: look into the KW V3 kit. Similar price as the Roush ones but KW knows what they're doing and makes some extremely high-end kits for racing applications. Their tech and experience will trickle down into their more street-focused kits as well.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing wrong with that, sir!

My personal opinion: look into the KW V3 kit. Similar price as the Roush ones but KW knows what they're doing and makes some extremely high-end kits for racing applications. Their tech and experience will trickle down into their more street-focused kits as well.
That's awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.

Steve68Cougar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 Cougar, '08 Mustang Bullitt, '18 Mustang RS2
I've had a couple of track days with my Roush coilovers, along with a number of autocrosses. I've got the base (single adjustable) setup, so no adjustments on valving. My understanding is that they're a Roush tuned version of the KW V1 setup and the 3 way adjustables are a Roush tuned version of the KW V3. The car dives more than I would like on a road course, but it seems to do fairly well on the autocross courses I've run. Most people on here will say to go with something other than the Roush/KW setup if you're going to spend that kind of money. I don't have anything to compare different setups, so I'll refrain from speculation. When I upgrade mine, there's a high likelihood that I'll do something other than the Roush 3 ways, even though my car is a Roush. That being said, it's been a nice car for driving around. It's not punishing, but it does handle pretty well. I think my '08 Bullitt with the Ford Racing adjustable suspension rides rougher than it does. I'd really like to run them back to back on an autocross course to see how they compare time wise.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Almost every aftermarket spring package lowers the front more than the rear. They do this to reduce understeer.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Almost every aftermarket spring package lowers the front more than the rear. They do this to reduce understeer.
These include strut assembly though.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
These include strut assembly though.
I'm not sure what you're saying.

Someone mentioned the front / rear drop on the springs. I chimed in a reason why.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what you're saying.

Someone mentioned the front / rear drop on the springs. I chimed in a reason why.
To include coil over kits or just springs like Steeda Springs?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
To include coil over kits or just springs like Steeda Springs?
A coil-over kit will put the ride height wherever one puts the spring perches. That's up to the user to decide.

My comment was concerning spring kits (like Steeda) which use the stock type springs in the stock positions.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A coil-over kit will put the ride height wherever one puts the spring perches. That's up to the user to decide.

My comment was concerning spring kits (like Steeda) which use the stock type springs in the stock positions.
Yeah I don't want springs. Thanks for the info though.
I do want adjustable coils so I can make it comfortable for daily use but stiff on the track.
I have spoken to you before about TewLewism in regards to HPDE so your comments are always valuable to a novice like me.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, but don't believe something just because I wrote it, lol!
Sponsored