Air Ride vs Coils ?

Chubbiejones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ok, I am at a cross roads with what type suspension to install. My 2018 Mustang GT PP is a daily driver and will never see the track so coilovers are not required; I do occasional drive like a mad man but mostly I drive like a responsible citizen. My question is: are there any additional benefits to install air ride over coils other than flexibility to adjust your ride height on the fly and the coolness factor? Currently my car has the Anderson GT500 front bumper with chin spoiler, which at stock height rubs almost any incline of the pavement. I do like to ability to raise and lower my car at will but would it be a better utilization of funds to purchase additional suspension components versus the purchase of an AirLift 3P system?

Anyone with real world experience between both set-ups would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Air ride will ride much, much better, especially over cheap coilovers.

IMO, there is just about 0 reasons for coils for a daily/street driver. If you want more performance you are better off with a quality set of shocks and springs. Coils are for the hard parkers and track rats.

OP
OP

Chubbiejones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Air ride will ride much, much better, especially over cheap coilovers.
Good ol' trusty EFI, always coming through with assistance! From all the research I have been able to locate everyone seems to have the same general consensus - air ride is much better all around than standard springs or coilovers (not saying a set of quadrillion dollar coilovers is not considered a pleasant ride :) ). Now if you are wanting to dig hard on the track, then you will need to travel in a different direction. I wanted to verify if the additional cost(s) for a AirLift 3p system was worth all the hype or if the funds would be better utilized somewhere else; since I am leaning hard towards the AirLift set-up I am sure that is the direction I will ultimately travel.

As always I appreciate the insight bro!

OP
OP

Chubbiejones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Coils if its a dedicated track car! For your instance, bags would be good.

Ready when you are Josh!

-Josh
Josh, I fully agree and will most likely install bags over springs and/or coils. I am a fan of the 3p system but I am not a fan of the compressor option, considering they only offer one......would prefer to have dual Viair 480c

Sponsored

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
We've installed dozens of air ride kits and had a set on our own 2015. That being said, we've also ran Ridetech coilovers, roush/ KW, ST, BC, Eibach, and a few others. For your goals, air ride is truly hard to beat especially with the 25% off right now. They discontinued the V2 platform at Airlift but the 3P system is truly the new standard, high pressure rates, better PCM, longer lasting and honestly... a solid comfortable ride that does very well on the strip and street.

Let us know if we can help you out, like i Said we've tested just about every system out there and area certified Airlift installer, we'd love to set you up with something right!!
Sponsored