OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Thanks all - I think it's doable but I'd definitely grab the trans jack and a second strap. Right now I'm fighting the driver side axle out. Man... done it before - but I'm bending a long pry bar and nothing. Not sure what's up here... but something.

The quicklift went on sale at Costco - my only problem is youre trapped under the car with it because the entire area between the wheels on both sides is consumed by the lift system. You have to slide under from the fron or back as opposed to having easy side access to most things. But I agree - my least favorite part is jacking and lowering, even with jacking rails. I'm sure it's not hurting anything, but a lift would be a godsend.
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Get a transmission jack, or if someone you know has a motorcycle jack they work as well. I did the trans and X-fer case as a unit out of my Jeep YJ last winter using my motorcycle jack. Get tall jack stands so the bell housing will clear the bottom of the car. Jacking it up and using stands with jacking rails is a breeze. Just go up 3-4 inches at a time on each side vs. all at once.

I agree about being trapped with the Quickjack. Having to get under the car from the front or back only would be a PITA.

mtabers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I know this is an old thread but for anyone still looking.....it is definitely doable but a difficult task, I would recommend splitting it up into two days with a few hours each for your own sanity. For me the hardest part was the rusted on bolts for the passenger side catalytic converter. For the trans you definitely will need jack stands that go above 20 inches, meaning 6 ton jack stands (so I had to go buy a set because my 3 ton ones weren't tall enough), but in order to slide out the trans on the trans jack (most of us use the Harbor Freight 500lb one) you will probably need about 24 inches of height which is the max height for most 6 ton jack stands. Not to mention most floor jacks only lift up to ~20 inches so you need some wood blocks to get the vehicle up higher. I personally left my jack stands slightly under max height at about 22 inches and dropped the trans using the Harbor Freight trans jack, carefully slid it off the trans jack and onto the floor while underneath the car since I needed about 1-2 more inches clearance, then used a piece of cardboard on the floor to slide it out from under the car.

I'd be more than happy to answer any further questions anyone else has in regards to how to remove because it's something that CAN be done at home with the right but minimal tools and can save $ on labor from a shop.
4.jpg

mtabers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hey guys I am in the process of putting my built trans back in (still 23 spline mated to a new Exedy 23 spline clutch) and I canā€™t seem to get it to sit flush with the engine/mounting location. It slides right in at first then gets pushed right back out. I have backed it out and aligned with the clutch alignment tool like 3 times but it feels like some sort of spring tension pushes me away when I get close to flush. I installed a new throw out bearing and filled it with fluid as per the instructions, and that I imagine is creating some back pressure stopping me from getting the bell housing flush before tightening down the bolts. It is safe to gently tighten a few while I push the trans in to get the throw out bearing to compress? Any other suggestions on techniques or what else it could be?

I have put a little grease on the splines as well and that hasnā€™t helped much.

ronnievermilion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang PP
I know this is an old thread but for anyone still looking.....it is definitely doable but a difficult task, I would recommend splitting it up into two days with a few hours each for your own sanity. For me the hardest part was the rusted on bolts for the passenger side catalytic converter. For the trans you definitely will need jack stands that go above 20 inches, meaning 6 ton jack stands (so I had to go buy a set because my 3 ton ones weren't tall enough), but in order to slide out the trans on the trans jack (most of us use the Harbor Freight 500lb one) you will probably need about 24 inches of height which is the max height for most 6 ton jack stands. Not to mention most floor jacks only lift up to ~20 inches so you need some wood blocks to get the vehicle up higher. I personally left my jack stands slightly under max height at about 22 inches and dropped the trans using the Harbor Freight trans jack, carefully slid it off the trans jack and onto the floor while underneath the car since I needed about 1-2 more inches clearance, then used a piece of cardboard on the floor to slide it out from under the car.

I'd be more than happy to answer any further questions anyone else has in regards to how to remove because it's something that CAN be done at home with the right but minimal tools and can save $ on labor from a shop.
4.jpg
Hey buddy, Iā€™m pulling the trans on my 2015 and Iā€™m trying to use a floor jack with a piece of wood but the housing of the trans keeps hitting the firewall before it clears the output shaft.

did you have any clearance issues ?

Sponsored

mtabers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hey buddy, Iā€™m pulling the trans on my 2015 and Iā€™m trying to use a floor jack with a piece of wood but the housing of the trans keeps hitting the firewall before it clears the output shaft.

did you have any clearance issues ?
I didnā€™t have any issues but from what I remember it definitely does touch a bit. A trans jack would really help you be able to angle the transmission up or down while you pull it away from the clutch/engine that way you can wiggle and shimmy your way from hitting the firewall as you described. You can do it without a trans jack but again I think youā€™re limited to what angles you can move the trans while itā€™s sitting supported by the jack and wood.

if youā€™re hell bent on doing it that way or donā€™t have a harbor freight or another option nearby you probably just need an extra hand to help you wiggle and shimmy back away from the clutch and where the trans spline is inserted into the engine

hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions!

Magony15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP Base/Prem, 2009 Ram 1500
It's definitely tight at the top of the transmission tunnel. Even tougher reinstalling. You have to tilt the engine back a lot. I used some wood blocks to secure it as much as possible.
20201228_173442.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed
It is doable on jacks.

I did mine. I highly suggest a tranny jack. I had a harbour freight one, worked fine. The articulation to raise/lower/rotate is needed, to help you line up. It is kind of a pain and takes some patience. I did it 100% by myself. But don't try and draw the tranning in with the bolts. There are pics out there of peopel not aligned, used bolts to draw it in and broke the back of their engine block casting off. :shock: If it matters, I was maxed out on a set of 3 ton jackstands(Truck ones I used these for added height) I still wasn't hight enough to roll the tranny out on top of the trannyjack. I didn't need to, but for a tranny swap, just someting to keep in mind, you might have to lift or roll it off under the car still in the tunnel.

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Before I did my TR3160 swap I took some time and designed this Trans Fixture, with some angle built into it. It worked great, I may consider selling it now.
But one issue is: After you remove the trans from the engine, the back of the engine angles back up and makes the trans install more difficult. What you want to do is while the old trans is still attached and the rear support removed, take some wooden blocks, and block the engine (around the exhaust manifold area), so the rear of the engine stays down. (Makes the re-install much easier)
IMG_0539-1600x1200.jpg

IMG_0550-1600x1200.jpg

Last edited:

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
All you need is a Skinny mate on a Creeper.. Drop the trans onto his chest, then pull him out from underneath the car.. That was my option as I didn't have a trans jack.

Same method going back in..
Whole job was accomplished using Jacking rails and 3 ton stands at their highest setting. Car was solid on the rails.

Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Chevy Jenga

TXGTPig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ok, so to those who have done this I have a question. About how much does the transmission weight, say compared to a T5 with no bell housing out of a Foxbody? I got really good at pulling those once in my life.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here you go, it was a walk in the park but I had 2 other buddies and I used a trans jack from harbor freight. I wanna say it was right at 20ā€. I was able to leave the shifter on the trans, I also installed the new shifter while it was out and was able to get it back in with the shifter installed. I suggest the trans jack with at least one other person to help and at least 20ā€ off the ground.

84359ED3-8A0F-4134-BDCF-E9579A45D0ED.jpeg

A19E336E-C121-40DE-9A50-CDB7EE68385D.jpeg

50883C41-AF0D-4C02-B706-094B4900035C.jpeg
If you imagine that image being a red 1994 Cobra in place of your ride; thatā€™s exactly the same Jack stands I have/use and how high mine was lifted too. Worked great for doing the clutch job (and another subsequent rear main seal fix later down the road).

Itā€™s doable in a home garage or driveway with PROPER jack stands and safety measures, but as others have said, definitely get a trans jack for an S550. Pulling a T5 out of a Fox (79-95) isnā€™t difficult, but the T5 without the bell is at least 85-95lbs - doable without a trans jack. If you canā€™t bench or lift at least 85-95lbs to do that type of R&R laying on your back with only about 20ā€ between you and the underside of the car, DONā€™T attempt it without a trans jack under an S550.

The S550 MT82 and Tremec appear to be much larger and most likely weigh a lot more than a small T5.

TXGTPig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you imagine that image being a red 1994 Cobra in place of your ride; thatā€™s exactly the same Jack stands I have/use and how high mine was lifted too. Worked great for doing the clutch job (and another subsequent rear main seal fix later down the road).

Itā€™s doable in a home garage or driveway with PROPER jack stands and safety measures, but as others have said, definitely get a trans jack for an S550. Pulling a T5 out of a Fox (79-95) isnā€™t difficult, but the T5 without the bell is at least 85-95lbs - doable without a trans jack. If you canā€™t bench or lift at least 85-95lbs to do that type of R&R laying on your back with only about 20ā€ between you and the underside of the car, DONā€™T attempt it without a trans jack under an S550.

The S550 MT82 and Tremec appear to be much larger and most likely weigh a lot more than a small T5.
Good to know about the weight difference. Everytime I pulled my T5 I just "manned up" on it. When I decide to do a clutch upgrade on the ole S550 I'll make sure to invest in a trans jack.
Sponsored