Sponsored

Oil Level low! Do I need to worry?

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Who does your oil changes? Next time it's a quart low take it in so it can get documented. I think that 4 quarts every oil change is to much but I could be wrong. The 2020 GT I had only required 1 quart when I had 3k miles than I never again had to put oil. I think that it came low from factory. My 2021 GT just had its first oil change and I didn't see any low oil issues but it also takes a 5w30 instead of the 5w20 that 2020 GT used.
Only 2 oil changes so far, both at the dealer. By my logic if I'm getting the oil change every 5k miles, and engine is consuming 1qt every 1200 or so, it's about 3-4 qts I'm putting in myself to keep the oil above the bottom hole of dipstick until my next full oil change. Should I switch to the 5w-30 full synth? It's an option for "track use" on the 2020.. wonder if that will help?
Sponsored

MustangVelocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
If you're only revving to 5k rpm's you're missing out on what makes the Coyote engine great: the surge of power that occurs above 5k rpm's all the way to redline! I'll never forget the first time I experienced this in my 2011 GT (Gen 1 Coyote) after the initial break in period. 😏

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Only 2 oil changes so far, both at the dealer. By my logic if I'm getting the oil change every 5k miles, and engine is consuming 1qt every 1200 or so, it's about 3-4 qts I'm putting in myself to keep the oil above the bottom hole of dipstick until my next full oil change. Should I switch to the 5w-30 full synth? It's an option for "track use" on the 2020.. wonder if that will help?
1 qt every 1200 is excessive. Do you have aftermarket tune on the car or are you on stock if on stock go to your dealer and ask them to update your PCM tune to the latest version. Then check if your oil issues are gone. if not make sure to have the engine checked.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I generally agree with a harder break in method, but wait until your oil is up to temperature. This generally takes twice as long as the coolant (your temp gauge) so figure 15-20 minutes of easy driving depending on outside temp. Beating a car with cold oil is the quickest way to prematurely cause wear.
I was noticing that Jay Leno owns a lot of Italian stuff, V12s, etc. and has engine builders and parts fabricators on staff. His YouTube show is excellent by the way.

He is of the opinion that you warm up the car enough to get the "needles off the pegs" before shenanigans. Our cars, being way more durable than his classic iron, and benefitting from modern oil, coolant and metallurgical and clearance tech, ought to be fine following this advice.

In other words, a little warmed up prevents damage and waiting for full operating temp seems unnecessarily conservative.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
1 qt every 1200 is excessive. Do you have aftermarket tune on the car or are you on stock if on stock go to your dealer and ask them to update your PCM tune to the latest version. Then check if your oil issues are gone. if not make sure to have the engine checked.
No tune. Bone stock besides an aftermarket exhaust. What is this updated PCM at the dealer you speak of? I've never heard of this. I bought my car new in 2020, is that something that's recommended where it COULD fix the oil consumption?

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
What is this updated PCM at the dealer you speak of? I've never heard of this. I bought my car new in 2020, is that something that's recommended where it COULD fix the oil consumption?
I don't see how a tune can fix it, but can't hurt.

How did you break it in? Easy or did you hammer it right away?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see how a tune can fix it, but can't hurt.

How did you break it in? Easy or did you hammer it right away?
I didn't ether but this PCM fixed me issue (2017 GT) and a friend of mine car which was worse (2019 GT) Looks like Ford know something that we don't but PCM update (available at your local dealer) made a big difference in both cases I was down 1 qt between changes (every 5000 km) and my friend was down 2 qts between changes. Now both cars don't consume oil at all.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I didn't ether but this PCM fixed me issue (2017 GT) and a friend of mine car which was worse (2019 GT) Looks like Ford know something that we don't but PCM update (available at your local dealer) made a big difference in both cases I was down 1 qt between changes (every 5000 km) and my friend was down 2 qts between changes. Now both cars don't consume oil at all.
hrm... does it run just as well after the PCM update? I've heard that it could feel not as responsive or aggressive when accelerating after a PCM update. Can basically anyone with a 5.0 go in to a dealer and get one under warranty? I drive a 2020 GT.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
No tune. Bone stock besides an aftermarket exhaust. What is this updated PCM at the dealer you speak of? I've never heard of this. I bought my car new in 2020, is that something that's recommended where it COULD fix the oil consumption?
5.0L - Excessive Oil Consumption - 2018-2019 Ford F-150 • Ford (oemdtc.com)

The above link is about the coyote engines in Ford F-150's. May not apply to the Mustang but both have a common build feature. Both engine blocks have the cylinders lined with melted steel sprayed onto the cylinder wall as a plasma. From what I could find out this lining is very hard and a line of thinkin has been the rings do not seat quickly.

The idea is when the throttle is closed when coasting down to a stop or just slowing down that the vacuum created in the cylinders is pulling oil past the rings.

The fix was in two parts for the F-150 after an oil consumption test. The more important thing being that the throttle body motor which opens and closes the throttle plate is reprogramed to not close all the way when you take you foot off the gas pedal. That way the vacuum created in the cylinders can draw air thru the throttle body and draw much less past the rings.

The other thing is to replace the oil dip stick. The stock dipstick which reads one quart from full to low is replaced with one that can read more than two quarts from full to low.

I do not have any real knowledge if a dealer will be doing anything similar for a Mustang. For the F-150 best I can recall is it may take 10,000 or more miles for the rings to seat well. Perhaps this should be re -checked.

Here is something else to consider. Some Coyote engines hold ten quarts and others hold eight quarts of oil. If you do not do your own oil changes it might be good to make sure which you have.

Good luck.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I've found the reason for your oil consumption;

I tell people this all the time, especially here. Do NOT baby your engine from new, you will end up with an oil-burner. Just like the OP here.

You beat on that engine from the moment you drive it off the lot.
Nova, I'm with you on this, but not so far as "beating on it" per se.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Nova, I'm with you on this, but not so far as "beating on it" per se.
But he has a point, I had a 2020 GT that I put over 16000 Miles and I babe that engine for maybe the first 300 miles and then I drove it some what harder and right at 3000 miles I only put in 1 quart. All other changes never had a issue. As for my 2021 GT I got on it after the first 100 miles and now im at 6800 miles and not one drop was lost/burned.

Neither car had the engine tick

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
what exactly did they do to improve the oil consumption and how did you go about it at the dealer? was it pretty easy have them approve and do? under warranty or paid?

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
add oil and rev that shit out more and check your oil more often.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I guess I need to wait till the morning. I checked it an hour after I came back from work. Car was still hot. I never tracked this car.
Hi. Did you start the car up after your oil and filter change and recheck the oil level?. And as far as the 5.0 oil consumption issues like the 5.2 Voodoo engines (if anyone has factual/documented evidence contrary to this, please post), I haven't seen any. This being said; You should check your oil on a regular basis, and also look around your engine bay for any notable issues. The 18+ 5.0 are a 12:1 compression ratio engine and that's allot for a street engine. Check the vitals regularly, everything. That's just part of having a high performance engine. And yes, the more you run your car at WOT Redline, you will use oil, that's just the nature of the beast. Good Luck

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
what exactly did they do to improve the oil consumption and how did you go about it at the dealer? was it pretty easy have them approve and do? under warranty or paid?
Not under warranty as my car don't have one left but my dealer have some service procedure for winter on promotion where they measure antifreeze level and clear error codes and reprogram PCM was super cheap and totally worth it.
Sponsored