Sponsored

Prices are on the rise......

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Sorry, with all due respect. All this talk of inflation being transient and 2-7% is a joke.
I run a business that manufactures steel framing and components. Steel was $.38 lb in March 2020. It is now $1.20 lb. Wood, plastics, resins, transportation, etc and many other costs have EXPLODED. Try like 300%. The real inflation that is going on, right now, has never been seen before. Not only have prices gone FKN crazy, there is very little material to buy, shortages everywhere. I am 60 YO. This is the worst inflationary period I have ever been through x 10.
Spikes and dips are supply crunches, not inflation. When the prices self-resolve as fast as they go up, that's not inflation because it has nothing to do with the purchasing power of the currency. There's also the "minor" problem of comparing prices vs 12 months prior, when 12 months prior many of these commodities were crashing as building halted, spending dried up, and there was an oversupply situation. YoY changes when the baseline year is completely anomalous are meaningless.
Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Spikes and dips are supply crunches, not inflation. When the prices self-resolve as fast as they go up, that's not inflation because it has nothing to do with the purchasing power of the currency. There's also the "minor" problem of comparing prices vs 12 months prior, when 12 months prior many of these commodities were crashing as building halted, spending dried up, and there was an oversupply situation. YoY changes when the baseline year is completely anomalous are meaningless.
I understand you downplaying the year on year Covid effect. However, if you think that purchasing power isn't being affected by the trillions of fiat dollars injected into the economy, the non-productive government debt being incurred, the prolonged suppression of interest rates, and the hamstringing of cheap energy production, and it will all "self" correct, I for one ain't buying into that dream. Stocks and housing were in an inflationary trend before Covid. And now with a policy of decreased use of cheap fossil fuel and the disruption of labor by prolonged government handouts, gasoline, food, services, etc. are on the same track. Some of us live in the real world.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
I understand you downplaying the year on year Covid effect. However, if you think that purchasing power isn't being affected by the trillions of fiat dollars injected into the economy, the non-productive government debt being incurred, the prolonged suppression of interest rates, and the hamstringing of cheap energy production, and it will all "self" correct, I for one ain't buying into that dream. Stocks and housing were in an inflationary trend before Covid. And now with a policy of decreased use of cheap fossil fuel and the disruption of labor by prolonged government handouts, gasoline, food, services, etc. are on the same track. Some of us live in the real world.
Welcome to Covid 21. Another lockdown is coming!

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I don't believe the factors you listed are what's driving price changes in the last 6 months, but of course you're free to feel otherwise, regardless of the evidence or lack thereof. It's not like the several years prior to Covid were free of trillions of dollars of infusions into the markets via tax breaks and agricultural price supports, of course, but I see you left those off your list for some reason.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I think we can all agree that we are dealing with a novel situation....

intentional dollar devaluation
lockdowns
Illegal immigration applauded
pathetic foreign policies
elimination of USA consumer protections
elimination of USA production protections
overregulation
government paid unemployment
increasing food stamp benefits
abandonment of history for myths
APATHY!!!!

There are a lot more... I just got tired. Hell, they can’t even hire a host for Jeopardy due to pathetic people. America can’t sustain this type of radicalism much longer.

And whatever you guys are referring to as “capitalism” appears to be a historical term as well. What we have today is not true capitalism.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
I think we can all agree that we are dealing with a novel situation....

intention dollar devaluation
lockdowns
Illegal immigration applauded
pathetic foreign policies
elimination of USA consumer protections
elimination of USA production protections
overregulation
government paid unemployment
increasing food stamp benefits
abandonment of history for myths
APATHY!!!!

There are a lot more... I just got tired. Hell, they can’t even hire a host for Jeopardy due to pathetic people. America can’t sustain this type of radicalism much longer.

And whatever you guys are referring to as “capitalism” appears to be a historical term as well. What we have today is not true capitalism.
Unfortunately I sadly agree with everything you've said.....

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
That’s it. All this talk of rising prices, I’m selling and spending $108,000 on not a GT500, but a T600 Tango.

1629569050645.jpeg

And before you say “Wut?!!” 800hp and 1000tq and I can ride the centerline like a motorcycle.

Yah I’ll get tons of vulgarity and dirty looks from motorist who are confused and angered seeing me split lanes in a car, but 👀 eyes forward. 108k for an electric car built in a man’s shed. It’s the future!! And it kinda looks like Orange Fury.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/archives-worlds-fastest-electric-filing-cabinet

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
Just to clarify “standard R” = non Heritage and non-base R model ? At first I was expecting to see a base model R when I clicked on the link.
Yes I just meant no special versions or 2015 model. I think this will easly hit 100k but can it beat out the other shadow black 2020 that sold recently for 110k.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
6 miles.........,........ :crying:
Yeah I agree. Poor car. But hey, that's what the owner wanted to do and someone will pay more for a car that hasn't been run than they would for something with 5 or 10k miles per year. To me it's almost like that person didn't really own the car. They certainly don't know what it drives like. It's cool that there are people in the world willing to preserve like that, though. I assume whoever buys it will do the same thing.

GTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
For those posting about selling to Vroom earlier in this thread, did you all actually get paid? Seems like the business is coming under criticism for some shady practices:
USA Today on Vroom fails
Interesting you mention this. Not a GT350 but a friend’s business partner recently sold a car to Vroom and it took nearly two weeks to receive payment.

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350
For those posting about selling to Vroom earlier in this thread, did you all actually get paid? Seems like the business is coming under criticism for some shady practices:
USA Today on Vroom fails
Yes, everything came down exactly the way they said it would. Received my bank check via fed ex the day after they picked up the car. It requires a lot of trust because it is so non-traditional, but it turned out to be the easiest deal I ever did.
Sponsored