Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't take too long for this thread to go down the political tubes. It is amazing how one incident is more damning against one side than hundreds of major incidents by the other side.

It does prove the point that we are not ready for full transition to electric cars in the next few decades. And the even bigger issue of how do we justify such penalties on the car industry when the big problem is aircraft, trains, and shipping. The more that one nation moves to eliminate the use of lower cost fuels, the more others will take advantage of that, and absorb manufacturing and exploitation of industries.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is this even still, or... wait... was it even a "GT350" subject matter thread to begin with to be posted in this section?

And yes, keep the politics sentiments out, otherwise it's just gonna get locked.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
With advancements in battery tech and everything else unique for electric vehicles and economies of scale as volumes expand, I suspect current electric vehicles could experience terrible depreciation. Imagine what it would do to a current GT value if Ford came out with a new ICE that had 50% more power, and/or twice the mileage and/or cost half as much to manufacture (the powertrain). Those things could easily happen with electric vehicles over 5 years. They could get a lot better for the same price or similar for a lot less. Neither are good for the value of the outdated vehicles. Maybe it won't happen, but even if I liked driving an electric as much as an ICE I would not take the chance.

Sponsored

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
First off, making the automobile industry more efficient is a worthy goal, but let's not forget that one of the biggest energy users is the US military. Add the airline industry, the cargo ship industry, and other transportation industries. And the US is not the biggest energy user in the world, China is. The ranks number one by population or per capita, but China uses 50% more than we do, and mostly using coal energy. They produce 15% o the world's greenhouse gas emissions, three times as much as any other nation.

Manufacturing and recycling of cars looks like this. IC cars - 12.3 tonnes emission compared to 15.4 tonnes for EV cars. It is in the fuel emissions that makes the difference. All of these factors vary by country and fuel/emission production.

The military is making strong efforts to reduce it energy costs and global footprint, but can anyone really see replacing the F-22 with an electric aircraft? Cargo/container ships are some of the worse polluters, but most of them are registered to nations with few standards. In fact, the lack of US registered ships is a national crisis.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Those things could easily happen with electric vehicles over 5 years
they'll follow the same trajectory as cell phones. 1300 phones now 250 in a matter of years. It'll be egalitarian in that respect - but ruinous for profits.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
What a surprise.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Maybe it won't happen, but even if I liked driving an electric as much as an ICE I would not take the chance.
Lease, enjoy for 3 years, return without concern over the used EV market. :)

To be honest, I'm getting more like that for any car purchase, no games with the used market, and if it happens to be some kind of surge (like now), you can always buy the car at the end of the lease and sell it.

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Epoch Times, hahahaha ...

Here's the actual quote from the ISO:

In the past week, the California Independent System Operator (ISO) told residents several times to voluntarily conserve energy, including asking them on social media to stop charging their electric vehicles (EVs) during peak usage times. The operator also warned users to “[avoid] use of large appliances and turning off extra lights.”

And here's the actual alert content - the time is between 6p and 9p:

https://www.flexalert.org/press-releases

While the Flex Alert is in effect on Friday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., consumers are asked to:

• Set thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, if health permits
  • Avoid using major appliances
  • Turn off all unnecessary lights
To be as comfortable as possible during the Flex Alert hours, consumers are also strongly encouraged to take these steps earlier in the day:

• Pre-cool your home by lowering the thermostat
  • Close window coverings to keep your home or apartment cool
  • If you need to use major appliances like your dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer, do so before the Flex Alert takes effect
  • Pre-charge electronic devices Close window coverings to keep your home or apartment cool
  • Pre-charge electric vehicles

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Lease, enjoy for 3 years, return without concern over the used EV market. :)

To be honest, I'm getting more like that for any car purchase, no games with the used market, and if it happens to be some kind of surge (like now), you can always buy the car at the end of the lease and sell it.
Not for me. I like mods. I might drive something 2k a year or 20k a year and not know ahead of time. I have kept a few vehicles for decades. Had no idea I wanted to ahead of time. Buying any of those at the end of a lease would end up costing more than any other way. But to be honest, I don't consider cost of ownership. Can't take it with you. And I haven't had a single debt/liability for a LONG long time and prefer not to. I'll just continue to buy whatever I feel like and pay cash. Irresponsibility is more fun without responsibilities. :wink:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
But to be honest, I don't consider cost of ownership. Can't take it with you. And I haven't had a single debt/liability for a LONG long time and prefer not to. I'll just continue to buy whatever I feel like and pay cash. Irresponsibility is more fun without responsibilities. :wink:
Well, then your concern over the market value of a used EV - which is what I was responding to - shouldn't matter :D

FWIW, out of the context of an EV, we're very low volume drivers, so the mileage, etc., doesn't really factor in, I've "owned" through every mechanism (lease, cash, finance), and for our financial and lifestyle model, the lease has worked great - especially for the "family car" (that I like to keep new and under warranty).

I get the mod/lease issue too, hahahaha, though I had a C5 Vette, with full exhaust/headers and a T1 suspension package that was a lease :D

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
While information sites like Epoch Times are sketchy at best (lol), the general concern applies.

Especially when not everyone in California (or anywhere else) is going to follow those recommendations to the letter.
Sponsored