Carpenter beeeeeees

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck.
I've been trying to kill these things off ever since we bought our place 3 years ago.

The males won't sting. They can act really aggressive, but that's it. The tennis racket zapper work well (We have several). Invite friends over, provide alcohol and hand the racquets out. Works pretty well.

I'm building some custom columns at our driveway entrance. Four treated 4x4's (frame together at bottom and top to hold shape) sunk into cement, enclosing the now stained 4x4s in a "lattice" type arrangement of cedar boards then a the huge stone flagstones on top. I'm just the labor / engineer - my wife is the designer.

The other day I was staining the 4x4s. Pulled one of the brace boards off and there was a carpenter bee hole. She tried to get out. Nope. Let's just say my inner 8 year old came out in me and she is no longer a threat.

These were treated 4x4's.

Carb cleaner with the plastic spray nozzle works well to kill the bastards - especially the queen bees in the holes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck.
I've been trying to kill these things off ever since we bought our place 3 years ago.

The males won't sting. They can act really aggressive, but that's it. The tennis racket zapper work well (We have several). Invite friends over, provide alcohol and hand the racquets out. Works pretty well.

I'm building some custom columns at our driveway entrance. Four treated 4x4's (frame together at bottom and top to hold shape) sunk into cement, enclosing the now stained 4x4s in a "lattice" type arrangement of cedar boards then a the huge stone flagstones on top. I'm just the labor / engineer - my wife is the designer.

The other day I was staining the 4x4s. Pulled one of the brace boards off and there was a carpenter bee hole. She tried to get out. Nope. Let's just say my inner 8 year old came out in me and she is no longer a threat.

These were treated 4x4's.

Carb cleaner with the plastic spray nozzle works well to kill the bastards - especially the queen bees in the holes.
I really think I had to of trapped the queen in the hole last night, they was FRANTICLY trying to get back into the nest, like SAVE THE QUEEN mode. the ryobi power caulker, it goes good work on shoving the caulk all way through, I use the quasi caulk on my external fixtures, its pretty tuff stuff, so I will be filling future holes with steel wool and following up with that and then painting with pesticide/paint like mentioned.

just weird, 5 years never seen a single one, and this year, bam. front and back. fortunately doesnt appear that they hit my inclosed deck patio.

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Took me longer to get my tools out than build one. I'll probably have to mount it better. Hanging from a chain probably won't last long with the wind I get out here

20210521_112027.jpg

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I may have to build a few of those. I've got an entire stack of 4x4 remnants from various projects.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I whacked about 4 of them, one bit my finger. It isnā€™t instakill like it should be. It stuns them for moment then they fly and get you. I started whacking them to somewhere I could see and stomp them for a quick painless death.

they fought to the end, and the couple that come back to mailbox and shed, I just keep going out why they are burrowing, unaware of me, and I sneak the racket up behind them and shocking them where they sit.

itā€™s brutal. The crackle noise is terrifying lmao. Kinda was afraid why they was swarming around me as a team. Wonā€™t lie, I ran away initially. I missed him and they went after me.

had to rethink my strategy, I recall led again more holes. I saw one almost burrowed out, his little face was chewing a hole almost out.

I shoved power caulk into hole and he went silent, pretty sure it swallowed them all up. All the holes are sealed again, will repeat til all are dead and then quit coming

3 houses down, a super nice houses I see a carpenter bee fluttering around his mailbox. He either had them too, or mine decided to make a new home 3 houses down road from me

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Brake cleaner will kill them almost instantly. Wasp killer also works good on them.

Spray it right into their holes. The die within seconds.

BleedNBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 2018 Toyota 4Runner ORP; 2007 Sea Ray 270 SLX
Vehicle Showcase
WD-40 kills them.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Brake cleaner will kill them almost instantly. Wasp killer also works good on them.

I hit a wasp nest with that once, the old flammable toxic stuff that they used to make. Figured I could use the extra range because it comes out in the jet. All of them fell right out on the ground instantly but I lit the pile on fire just to make sure they weren't going to get up pissed. Made me think twice about how often I just spray that stuff on parts I'm working on.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase

My bees must have adapted. Iā€™ve hit em with brake cleaner, carb cleaner and wasp killer. Carb cleaner seems to at least stun them enough i can stomp on them. Everything else they laugh at me.
Of course they didnā€™t laugh when I broke the big propane torch out last year. But itā€™s kind of hard to carry the propane tank and the torch while trying to chase them.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My bees must have adapted. Iā€™ve hit em with brake cleaner, carb cleaner and wasp killer. Carb cleaner seems to at least stun them enough i can stomp on them. Everything else they laugh at me.
Of course they didnā€™t laugh when I broke the big propane torch out last year. But itā€™s kind of hard to carry the propane tank and the torch while trying to chase them.
create a ring of fire. piss them off and when they are charging you, step into your protective column of fire and laugh as they try to breach the wall of flame. No?

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Guess everyone has them, my neighbors rotted fence swarming him. Neighbors mailboxes I see them hovering around

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My bee trap started catching them finally Sunday. I think I'm going to fix it to the rafter on my deck. I get a lot of wind so it swings around a lot. I don't think they're landing when the trap is swinging around. I had 2 bees in it yesterday but I haven't looked today.
Sponsored