Convertible side rear windows.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
To be clear- once you raise the top, you should be raising the rear 1/4 windows FIRST, then sliding the main windows up. This allows the 1/4 glass to position itself without major friction, and the main glass to slide up the felt on the leading edge.
Sponsored

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Of all the convertibles I've had to fix for the rear windows, I could never really pinpoint the cause. Most needed the glass or rearmost weatherstripping realigned and cleaned or replaced. I've had one or two come back with the same issue and ended up replacing the regulators. I've always been told to not lube the window runs due to lubricant getting on the window/tint (and also attracting more dirt).

My theory is the regulators get jammed with dirt and other debris and dissipate the grease in the tracks, thus causing the window to not push forward fully. It's a crappy design IMO and not worth replacing/cleaning regulators every few months unless it's under warranty.

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I was scheduled to take it in tomorrow morning. This after a tech and Service Writer looked at it a few weeks ago. Well, today I tried opening/closing with the top up and down....guess what? It closed like it is supposed to close. I cancelled my appointment with the option of returning if the problem resurfaces. Strange.

OP
OP
kscoke

kscoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Mine did that also but was told tempature and humidity can change patterns.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
To be clear- once you raise the top, you should be raising the rear 1/4 windows FIRST, then sliding the main windows up. This allows the 1/4 glass to position itself without major friction, and the main glass to slide up the felt on the leading edge.
My '16 did this, lubed the seals (the rubber on the top itself), it took ~5 minutes, perfect for ~18 months until I traded it, my [current] had a touch of hesitation on the passenger side, same fix, like you said in an earlier post, buttery smooth :)

I figure it's not an alignment issue when they close perfectly with the top down (that's where the main resistance occurs), or you close the [edit] rear first and they close perfectly - plus, you can see the position fully up is perfect aligned across the top, and is stopped right at the perfect location relative to the front window.

Last edited:

mjb413

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt premium 2020
Just bought my 2020 a few weeks ago. Just got it back from having the rear passenger window realigned for this issue.

Fasteddiec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium convertible
I have been fighting this issue for a couple of months on the passenger side rear window. Silicone spray and/or light grease works once and then has to be applied again.

I found the procedure for re-aligning the rear window and used that as a guide. First steps show how to measure the mis-alignment, and only then did I realize how badly my car was from the factory. The pic below shows how bad it was. So I took the car apart and fixed it, took about 3 hours. At 67 YOA, my back is killing me. 😀

I’ll post an after pic tomorrow, but the passenger rear window now looks like the driver rear window.
F039B5D4-95E8-427F-A865-98380185201D.jpeg

Nickrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I have had my 2017 in twice to fix this under warranty. Starting to do it again - Dielectric greae here i come.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Sponsored

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Mine's developed this problem.

Yada yada Job One! yada yada...

Deleted member 35644

Mine too. Discovered it while I was washing it last weekend. When I put the roof up, I put the front windows up first, then the rears. Driver's side doesn't have any problem with that sequence, but the passenger side didn't go all the way up. Rolled the front passenger window down, and the rear came up to the normal position. There's some friction happening there, but I'm not going to mess with it. It's watertight if you roll them up in the right sequence, so....first world problem.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Mine too. Discovered it while I was washing it last weekend. When I put the roof up, I put the front windows up first, then the rears. Driver's side doesn't have any problem with that sequence, but the passenger side didn't go all the way up. Rolled the front passenger window down, and the rear came up to the normal position. There's some friction happening there, but I'm not going to mess with it. It's watertight if you roll them up in the right sequence, so....first world problem.
This is the opposite of what you should do. The smaller windows need to be up so the fronts glide against the felt liner.

Kenbike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO Mustang GT convertible loaded
My 2015 has both window stuck in the down position from last night's drive with the top down. Never had a issue before so going to check for a fuse first?
Any other suggestions.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I laugh at myself sometimes about the things I don't know. Never dawned on me and learn reading some of these threads. I never knew the rag tops had rear windows that operated ..

This was a well I'll be damn did not see that one coming LMAO !!
Sponsored