Carbon Fiber Front Bumper

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I can’t believe people think the paint is going to add the weight back to the carbon fiber. Lol
Really? I'm dealing with CF for over 10 years(bicycle racing). All my bike frames and many components (and I have many) made of CF. In particular, I have same CF frame painted and non-painted. The one painted is weigh a lot more than non-painted. To cover exposed CF it requires prime and multiple coating of paint, a spatially with the bright colors. You may weigh all the painting components before comfiting to this. Apparently you have no idea what you're getting into.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hangman77

Hangman77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt350R Heritage
Really? I'm dealing with CF for over 10 years(bicycle racing). All my bike frames and many components (and I have many) made of CF. In particular, I have same CF frame painted and non-painted. The one painted is weigh a lot more than non-painted. To cover exposed CF it requires prime and multiple coating of paint, a spatially with the bright colors. You may weigh all the painting components before comfiting to this. Apparently you have no idea what you're getting into.
tell me then master of painting carbon fiber.

how much are we talking?

give me the math.

here come the experts.

paint one side of the panels. Tell me how much per square inch in paint weight lol.

getting into. It’s called doing it unlike most who go on the Internet and talk. Big difference. Unlike actually painting the panels. Which is insignificant

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Are you talking about covering the weave? I’ve yet to see an aftermarket supplier ship parts that are bare weave. Bright colors do not require anything special as a substrate. A proper sealer is all that’s needed. If your painting parts and adding that much weight in material your process is incorrect.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
tell me then master of painting carbon fiber.

how much are we talking?

give me the math.

here come the experts.

paint one side of the panels. Tell me how much per square inch in paint weight lol.

getting into. It’s called doing it unlike most who go on the Internet and talk. Big difference. Unlike actually painting the panels. Which is insignificant
Making switch to CF and painting it over doesn't make any sense in your case. You're not gaining much weight savings. It's not justifying over cost. I'm telling you from my experience. Do whatever you like. I rest my case here.

Are you talking about covering the weave? I’ve yet to see an aftermarket supplier ship parts that are bare weave. Bright colors do not require anything special as a substrate. A proper sealer is all that’s needed. If your painting parts and adding that much weight in material your process is incorrect.
It's my understanding that OP want's to paint over ready CF product. Painting CF with the bright colors requires at least bright prime and triple paint coating to cover dark CF. Again I'm spiking based on my experience.

Sponsored

Anderson Composites

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.andersoncomposites.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2021 Ford Broncos (2 and 4-door)
Discount codes are only valid for items that are in-stock through our web store. They are not applicable with other discount codes or through our dealers. Dealers can advertise up to 10% less than our MSRP online price for items we make. Some dealers offer varying shipping rates.

Our vacuum-infused "wet" carbon fiber components have UV inhibitor added to our proprietary formulated resin. Adding a clear coat for UV protection is not required, but some owners decide to do so.

To get more information about a specific product availability, please contact our customer service, 9-5:30 PST.

OP
OP
Hangman77

Hangman77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt350R Heritage
Making switch to CF and painting it over doesn't make any sense in your case. You're not gaining much weight savings. It's not justifying over cost. I'm telling you from my experience. Do whatever you like. I rest my case here.

It's my understanding that OP want's to paint over ready CF product. Painting CF with the bright colors requires at least bright prime and triple paint coating to cover dark CF. Again I'm spiking based on my experience.
there is no case. You have no data to back anything you say up. Your comparing it to a bicycle. Show real data or don’t say anything.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
there is no case. You have no data to back anything you say up. Your comparing it to a bicycle. Show real data or don’t say anything.
Bicycle or not, it's the same CF. Like I said, you may do whatever you want. I was trying to help you by providing real experience, but you for some reason taking this too offensive.

OP
OP
Hangman77

Hangman77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt350R Heritage
Bicycle or not, it's the same CF. Like I said, you may do whatever you want. I was trying to help you by providing real experience, but you for some reason taking this too offensive.
If you paint one side of a carbon fiber hood.

before you paint it, it weighs 21 lbs.
After you paint it, how much do you actually think it’s gonna weigh?

use your head. Ita not gonna weigh any more. Maybe a few oz Max

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
If you paint one side of a carbon fiber hood.

before you paint it, it weighs 21 lbs.
After you paint it, how much do you actually think it’s gonna weigh?

use your head. Ita not gonna weigh any more. Maybe a few oz Max
Do you know how much total paint needed to cover all the components that you want to paint? Just to cover one side of the hood and fenders you need at least one quart of paint for one coat, which is around 2.5 pounds. You need at lease 2-3 coats of paint. So, you need 8 pounds of paint to cover just hood and fenders.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hangman77

Hangman77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt350R Heritage
Do you know how much total paint needed to cover all the components that you want to paint? Just to cover one side of the hood and fenders you need at least one quart of paint for one coat, which is around 2.5 pounds. You need at lease 2-3 coats of paint. So, you need 8 pounds of paint to cover just hood and fenders.
Have you actually tested this yourself and done a comparison on car parts.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
great. Post up all your findings so we have good info.

before and after please
I'm done using my head for you. Go paint CF and come back with numbers.