Sponsored

2021 GT500: Manual Trans Option?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
@IceAge but I did notice he paddled down once or twice heading into the chicanes after coming off the high banks.
What may be a wake up call to some is how hard you have to brake after coming off the ovals. By the end of the day you will really be braking while paying very close attention to where you are on the track as well as where the car is in front of you. You may find the car gets a little upset but you can drive right through it. If everybody handles it that way the pace stays fast. But if one guy won't stop clenching it slows everyone down...
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
What may be a wake up call to some is how hard you have to brake after coming off the ovals. By the end of the day you will really be braking while paying very close attention to where you are on the track as well as where the car is in front of you. You may find the car gets a little upset but you can drive right through it. If everybody handles it that way the pace stays fast. But if one guy won't stop clenching it slows everyone down...
It takes time to build up to that level of confidence. Then take a guy whos never been on the track before, lol

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
You ainā€™t kidding about the breaking and confidence in others to negotiate that chicane turn right out of the high bank ! First time or two I was clinching my cheeks pretty good! Lol I was lucky enough to get matched up with a pretty good driver as the 2nd car in my group. Our instructor was great about going as fast as we could handle, He told us if we could keep 3 car lengths of him that heā€™d keep amping up the speed. By the 3rd session we were within eye site of catching the group that started behind us in that 6 lap session.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You ainā€™t kidding about the breaking and confidence in others to negotiate that chicane turn right out of the high bank ! First time or two I was clinching my cheeks pretty good! Lol I was lucky enough to get matched up with a pretty good driver as the 2nd car in my group. Our instructor was great about going as fast as we could handle, He told us if we could keep 3 car lengths of him that heā€™d keep amping up the speed. By the 3rd session we were within eye site of catching the group that started behind us in that 6 lap session.
At Daytona, I'm max braking all the way into turn 1 right about at the 300 meter marker. That's from going about 165-170 mph give or take into your turn entry speed (about 70 mph). Not a whole lot of wiggle room there. I noticed Billy was using about the same brake point that I was using.

When I first drove Daytona, my braking point was shortly after the finish line on the front stretch. That's a big difference that you learn over time and repetition as well as having confidence in the brakes and what they can do. That is the reason I won't be getting the CCB brakes for the 500 until someone can test them to failure and determine how safe they are.

I wouldn't do that with a set of untested brakes.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
@Tomster, those speeds are incredible! Do you have a link to the Daytona Speedway event? Iā€™ll be back in florida at some point and would really like to coordinate my trip and participate in such an event. Is it open? Restrictions?
And Iā€™m not testing anything at those speeds until as you say, someone find the fail points.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
@Tomster, those speeds are incredible! Do you have a link to the Daytona Speedway event? Iā€™ll be back in florida at some point and would really like to coordinate my trip and participate in such an event. Is it open? Restrictions?
And Iā€™m not testing anything at those speeds until as you say, someone find the fail points.
Go to motorsportsreg.com and search Daytona. There is an event in Oct, Nov, and Dec. I always attend the December event.... Thinking about Oct or Nov.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The fact this car doesn't have a manual for me means I won't be purchasing. The DCT/PDK cars are brilliant with forced induction as the boost doesn't drop off between shifts. However, DCT/PDK cars I call sugar high vehicles. After it wears off you want a manual. I don't care if the car is a tad slower, it's about driver involvement. I came out of PCars and BMW M cars and a lot of those drivers after awhile got out of their DCT cars back into a manual. Also, on resale the manuals go for more money. The GT500 with their ADMs would almost push me onto a 992.2S, which now has a manual option.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
The fact this car doesn't have a manual for me means I won't be purchasing. The DCT/PDK cars are brilliant with forced induction as the boost doesn't drop off between shifts. However, DCT/PDK cars I call sugar high vehicles. After it wears off you want a manual. I don't care if the car is a tad slower, it's about driver involvement. I came out of PCars and BMW M cars and a lot of those drivers after awhile got out of their DCT cars back into a manual. Also, on resale the manuals go for more money. The GT500 with their ADMs would almost push me onto a 992.2S, which now has a manual option.
Everyday the group of guys like you gets smaller and smaller. Ford is not going to cater to you. Buy a Mach 1 and supercharge it, or buy a GT500, and trans swap it.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everyday the group of guys like you gets smaller and smaller. Ford is not going to cater to you. Buy a Mach 1 and supercharge it, or buy a GT500, and trans swap it.

True, because we are real men, not girly menšŸ˜. J/K!! Agreed though, although it forced Porsche to bring the 7 spd. manual to the 992.2S and the GT3 is still a manual. At the price point of a GT500 with ADM I would go back to the Porsche world. To be honest I am loving my GT a ton though.

Also, a lot of this has to do with driving public at hand. A lot of teenagers aren't in a rush to get their license and get a car. I taught both my kids to drive a manual and that's what they want now. One is 16 the other 19.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The fact that Ford chose a DCT has nothing to do with "the driving public at hand." Don't misconstrue. This was about performance all the way and not because of ever increasing levels of driver incompetence. If you want a car with a stick, buy one as this isn't for you. But for those looking to take advantage of one of the slickest transmissions Ford has ever used, this is the car to have.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
True, because we are real men, not girly menšŸ˜. J/K!! Agreed though, although it forced Porsche to bring the 7 spd. manual to the 992.2S and the GT3 is still a manual. At the price point of a GT500 with ADM I would go back to the Porsche world. To be honest I am loving my GT a ton though.

Also, a lot of this has to do with driving public at hand. A lot of teenagers aren't in a rush to get their license and get a car. I taught both my kids to drive a manual and that's what they want now. One is 16 the other 19.

I was reading this thread and thinking about Porsche. They're ALLLLL about lap times, recording them, posting them, breaking records on this tire and that...I can't think of another company that does so much to show they can lap Nuremburgring faster than anybody.

They offer manuals in almost everything. Someone said Ford wont spend money to make it slower...Porsche does exactly that. Look at the 911R or the Cayman GT4, or the GT3, mentioned above. Porsche gets it.

Who cares if your lap time is 1 second faster with a DCT if you're racing for fun/sport? Some people, but not most. IMO, of course.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who cares if your lap time is 1 second faster with a DCT if you're racing for fun/sport? Some people, but not most.
And that's why Ford only built 5k or so GT500's, for the "some people" group. They get it. Having driven mine for a few thousand miles on the street as well as tracking it, I get it. And it's about far more than going "1 second faster."

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I just got done running this car at Daytona. I ran in the Pro group and kicked the living sh*t out of it. This car has no business with a manual trans in it. Could it be done? Sure. But why would you want to? it will absolutely cause lower performance levels and slower lap times.

I suffered a mechanical failure which caused the car to be unserviceable for Saturday and Sunday. I brought one of my GT350Rs out to replace it. Suddenly everything ran in slow motion and my lap times went up significantly.

For those who want the third pedal at all costs, i ask why? Don't give me that "rowing your own gears" crap or "more engaged with the experience" sh*t. If that's what you want, get a GT350. If you care about performance and the end result, get a GT500. Believe me, paddle shifters or not, there is plenty of engagement with this car on the track. You are going a hell of a lot faster and things around you happen a lot faster. I felt plenty engaged with the machine.

It was F'in incredible.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And that's why Ford only built 5k or so GT500's, for the "some people" group. They get it. Having driven mine for a few thousand miles on the street as well as tracking it, I get it. And it's about far more than going "1 second faster."

Hard to believe this when the car weighs over 4k lbs.
I just got done running this car at Daytona. I ran in the Pro group and kicked the living sh*t out of it. This car has no business with a manual trans in it. Could it be done? Sure. But why would you want to? it will absolutely cause lower performance levels and slower lap times.

I suffered a mechanical failure which caused the car to be unserviceable for Saturday and Sunday. I brought one of my GT350Rs out to replace it. Suddenly everything ran in slow motion and my lap times went up significantly.

For those who want the third pedal at all costs, i ask why? Don't give me that "rowing your own gears" crap or "more engaged with the experience" sh*t. If that's what you want, get a GT350. If you care about performance and the end result, get a GT500. Believe me, paddle shifters or not, there is plenty of engagement with this car on the track. You are going a hell of a lot faster and things around you happen a lot faster. I felt plenty engaged with the machine.

It was F'in incredible.

If we have to explain it, you wouldn't understand it.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
C'mon. 90% of them are bought by street poseurs.
If they made a manual option, they'd sell the shit out of it.

My Mom's Macan has a DCT, it's annoying as hell. Does shift fast though.
Sponsored