dbegley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I had my 2017 Mustang GT serviced recently. In the check list they pointed out to me that my rear tires were going to need replaced soon. I barely have 8000 miles on my car. I live in MN and will not put tires on this car that allow me to drive it 4 months of the year. At 50 degrees these summer tires are pretty useless. I intended to replace all four tires with a performance 3 season tire. Now I have a dilemma. The rear tires need replaced but the front ones are fine. In case you are wondering I have NOT abused these tires either. As you all know it is real easy to spin those rear tires.
I talked with my tire shop and he told me mixing those tires is not recommended. At best I should use the same MFG if I am going to have summer tires on the front and 3 season on the rear. But even that is not the best idea since the tires have different capabilities and would not give the same response depending on the conditions I am driving in. Worse case is the temp is below 50, rear tires work fine, front tires don't.
What have you guys done or would recommend?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So just buy all seasons. and sell the fronts for $100 each on craigslist. If your choice of AS doesn't work in your typical snow, then buy a pair of winter tires and cheapo wheels and put them on whichever end makes the most sense.

Last edited:

axios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I ran Blizzak LM-32s back in Boston and I used to daily drive my car in rain and snow. They're not the cheapest option for a winter set out there but well worth the money.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus will get the job done in cold, wet and still give you very good dry and summer performance. Best all around all season performance tire.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus will get the job done in cold, wet and still give you very good dry and summer performance. Best all around all season performance tire.
+1 on the AS3. They work decently in light snow (1-2 inches). Also check on the new AS4. It is the standard tire for the C8. Sizes are limited though.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, replace all four and if you want some money back sell the fronts used.

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I’m quickly finding out I need tires for the winter even in AZ, PZero Corsa is not a good tire at even 50 degrees. Sucks to have to replace tires at 2000 miles but I guess it is part of the deal with these “handling packages”. AS3 seems like the logical choice. Ok to store tires like the Corsa or PSC2 unmounted in an unheated garage (might hit 20 degrees in winter)?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok to store tires like the Corsa or PSC2 unmounted in an unheated garage (might hit 20 degrees in winter)?
they'll be fine. store upright is I believe the recommendation.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I tried the A/S3s on my ex-BMW M3 V8, and didn't like them; just as noisy as the summer tires it had. As far as performance, they're all you need without deep snow. But I'm going to try something better. Unfortunately, the A/S4s are not available on either PP1 size, so we're out of luck with those. I also tried the Conti DWS-06s, and they were better than the A/S3s overall IMO, but wasn't crazy about them either. I tried those on my ex-Audi S6 V8TT. Will research those Eagle Exhilarate tires, and see what else is available in PP1 sizes.

Sponsored

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Change all 4. I recommend Continental DWS. Very capable all season tire. I’ve been thru a few northeast winters with no issue in the snow. Trade off is it not as responsive as a performance/summer tire but a very livable daily tire. Also still plenty of tread after 25k miles.

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Ecoboost premium coupe
I’m quickly finding out I need tires for the winter even in AZ, PZero Corsa is not a good tire at even 50 degrees. Sucks to have to replace tires at 2000 miles but I guess it is part of the deal with these “handling packages”. AS3 seems like the logical choice. Ok to store tires like the Corsa or PSC2 unmounted in an unheated garage (might hit 20 degrees in winter)?
My car is the same as yours, no mods yet. Chassis L1094. Agree the PZero Corsa is not a very good tire for street performance. I picked up my car in early March here in the Boston area and was thankful I also have a Jeep! Living in New England I have long used different summer and winter wheels and tires. A week ago I purchased Tire Rack's recommended combo. These are the standard GT 235/50/18 tires being Verenstien Wintrac Pro V rated winters. What a big difference! The Pirellis were of course junk after 10k miles. Will provide an update as the season progresses. Not sure what summers I will put back on next year but it won't be Pirellis.

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
My car is the same as yours, no mods yet. Chassis L1094. Agree the PZero Corsa is not a very good tire for street performance. I picked up my car in early March here in the Boston area and was thankful I also have a Jeep! Living in New England I have long used different summer and winter wheels and tires. A week ago I purchased Tire Rack's recommended combo. These are the standard GT 235/50/18 tires being Verenstien Wintrac Pro V rated winters. What a big difference! The Pirellis were of course junk after 10k miles. Will provide an update as the season progresses. Not sure what summers I will put back on next year but it won't be Pirellis.
I figure I stick to the factory size 265/40/19. Did you switch wheels as well? Don't think that size will fit the HP wheel.

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Ecoboost premium coupe
I figure I stick to the factory size 265/40/19. Did you switch wheels as well? Don't think that size will fit the HP wheel.
Yes, new 18" aluminum wheels, tpms and mount/balance were part of the tire rack package. Down in AZ I understand your desire to just change out the stock tires.
Sponsored