Sponsored

How much hp can the 5.0 handle on stock internals?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
All I’m saying is the bottom end is strong enough to make 1000whp. A good enough Induction and fuel system is Up to you
Once or twice. A couple 1/4 passes and it craps out. No thanks. Im not saying not to go for it. Im just saying you will blow the stock motor apart. Its not if? But when. So have money on hand for a built motor cause your gonna need it at that power level.
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I stand behind what I said but let me clarify. The crankshaft, rods, pistons, bearings, rings. Even The heads cams and gaskets Can hold 1000whp. If you have a gen3 you can hit the 1000whp mark on pump gas. There is a lot of supporting mods needed to do this but it can and has been done. The coyote bottom end can be a reliable daily driver that is capable of 1000whp. The record for a stock coyote bottom end is over 1100whp

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Once or twice. A couple 1/4 passes and it craps out. No thanks. Im not saying not to go for it. Im just saying you will blow the stock motor apart. Its not if? But when. So have money on hand for a built motor cause your gonna need it at that power level.
Ok now how much power it can make is a whole different world than the drag strip. Much harder on everything to put it on the track. You are not going to make a reliable 1000whp drag mustang using a stock coyote no

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ok now how much power it can make is a whole different world than the drag strip. Much harder on everything to put it on the track.
I kind of look at stuff from the point of view. What's the sense of having it. If your afraid to use it. I had a buddy that bet me my car wouldn't hit 200mph. So being a dumbass. I was going to prove him wrong. And I actually hurt my motor on a highway pull going for 200+. I think high speed pulls are more harmful to the engine than a 1/4 mile sprint. The launch is hard on the drivetrain in drag racing. Youll break the trans or the rear end. But I think the extented load at high RPMs will hurt the motor quicker like you'd see in a half mile event. Or a jackass going for 200+ on a highway. If you baby a car 1000whp might last a while. But if your not going to use it. Tou should have bought a supra.:cwl:

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I kind of look at stuff from the point of view. What's the sense of having it. If your afraid to use it. I had a buddy that bet me my car wouldn't hit 200mph. So being a dumbass. I was going to prove him wrong. And I actually hurt my motor on a highway pull going for 200+. I think high speed pulls are more harmful to the engine than a 1/4 mile sprint. The launch is hard on the drivetrain in drag racing. Youll break the trans or the rear end. But I think the extented load at high RPMs will hurt the motor quicker like you'd see in a half mile event. Or a jackass going for 200+ on a highway. If you baby a car 1000whp might last a while. But if your not going to use it. Tou should have bought a supra.:cwl:
I ran my gen2 for about 18months at 900 wheel. Track use, daily driver, street racing all around use and never had a problem.
You probably hurt the engine because on a long long pull the coyote is known to suck the pan dry

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Right, a 1-off build with a very fancy fuel system and $$$ and expertise by some guys who really know their stuff. And it survived a few pulls on a dyno. I doubt that answers the OP's actual question.

Given the article's date, the owner has charitably had the car for 6 or 7 months. Has he had occassion to run a bad tank of 93 thru it without knowing and gone for max power?

Last edited:

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
This is why these threads become useless.

It's like asking someone "how much hp can these axles take."

The answer depends. It depends on how you use them, how much traction you have, etc.

Can you run 1000rwhp on stock axles? Sure, if you never launch the car at the drag strip and you're running passenger tires and all the car does is spin when you occasionally stomp it.

Can you break a pair of stock axles on stock power with a pair of drag tires and 6000 rpm clutch dumps with a manual transmission and a grippy clutch? Yup.

Can a motor handle gobs of power in an ideal setting (like a dyno session) and perfect fuel? Sure.

Can it handle the same extreme power in varying conditions on the street (high temps, lugging, uphill, etc) and multiple abuses in drag passes and hooning all the time on the street?

The correct answer to the question is either "it depends" or "we need more information."

The problem is much too dynamic to give some sort of threhold, hard line number.

Another problem is that generally, guys don't come running in here telling everyone when they overdo something and nuke their motor. Another problem is that setting up a motor to run on the ragged edge leaves little to no room for hiccups in many supporting systems.

Mechanical systems are overenginnered (generally) from manufacturers because they know there's a wide range of operational conditions that their product will see. Ford (and every other car make) could probably reduce a ton of costs and build a teacup motor that produces the same power and torque, but then they'd have a zillion warranty claims.

I guess the real question is...why would you want to ask a mechanical system to run right to the edges of it's limits (unless you're just wealthy and aren't that concerend if it breaks).

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Right, a 1-off build with a very fancy fuel system and $$$ and expertise by some guys who really know their stuff. And it survived a few pulls on a dyno. I doubt that answers the OP's actual question.

Given the article's date, the owner has charitably had the car for 6 or 7 months. Has he had occassion to run a bad tank of 93 thru it without knowing and gone for max power?
It’s just a daily driver that can and has made 1000whp on pump gas. that doesn’t mean you can only run pump gas. The point is that it can be done. Something everyone thought could not be done. That doesn’t mean you have to go for max effort without knowing if your fuel is good enough. How many people go wot without testing there E85. That would be pretty stupid. Just because you can make 1000whp on pump gas doesn’t mean you can Pump piss in your tank.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Ha, my Procharger D1x 750whp, gave my stock 6r80 a knock out blow. Clutches eventually burn up. But now i have an exedy stage 2 build with a billet Shaft built by Brett LaSala. But guess what my axle seal I replaced for leaking 6 months ago is leaking again..gonna have to change the diff out. Its all a part of the game..

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Ha, my Procharger D1x 750whp, gave my stock 6r80 a knock out blow. Clutches eventually burn up. But now i have an exedy stage 2 build with a billet Shaft built by Brett LaSala. But guess what my axle seal I replaced for leaking 6 months ago is leaking again..gonna have to change the diff out. Its all a part of the game..
Yup, in a system, it's only as robust as it's weakest component.

It's a game of whack a mole if you don't upgrade everything simultaneously.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
midnight Performance, David von voris, Vick viper, all have been low 8s In the 1/4 on 100% stock gen3 coyotes. The fastest being Vick at 8.006. With more than 20 passes each without engine failure. So a 1000whp gen3 can hold up pretty well

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
midnight Performance, David von voris, Vick viper, all have been low 8s In the 1/4 on 100% stock gen3 coyotes. The fastest being Vick at 8.006. With more than 20 passes each without engine failure. So a 1000whp gen3 can hold up pretty well
Shop cars. Joe blow doesn't have access tò what those guys have access to. If they blow an engine after 1 to 20 passes. Big deal! They have a number to brag about. And a company credit card to just buy another. Joe blow destroys an engine after 20 passes. His car sits for a year while he saves up for a new motor. If you want to go 1000whp. Knock yourself out. Its not if it will blow. Its just a matter of when. Its your money. Roll the dice as you see fit. Or as the old saying goes. Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes!

sculptor310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
The OP asked for 'SAFELY'. I would say if we have folks losing engines/transmissions ~800whp, then that is the OPs answer.

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Shop cars. Joe blow doesn't have access tò what those guys have access to. If they blow an engine after 1 to 20 passes. Big deal! They have a number to brag about. And a company credit card to just buy another. Joe blow destroys an engine after 20 passes. His car sits for a year while he saves up for a new motor. If you want to go 1000whp. Knock yourself out. Its not if it will blow. Its just a matter of when. Its your money. Roll the dice as you see fit. Or as the old saying goes. Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes!
It will never stop buddy better off moving on.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I’m not saying you have to go make 1000 wheel horsepower I’m saying that the coyote is very very strong and can handle more than a few passes down the dragstrip At 1000whp if you take the time and do it right. If you have a 1000whp 2018-2020 mustang odds are you can work on your own car and you can afford the $1800 for a new short block A lot sooner than a year
Sponsored