Sponsored

L1663, GT500 CFTP, the story

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I talked to Dave today. He told me he can get it down to about a week leaving the wing and bumper to do at a later time. Both have warranty work to be done and it was agreed not to rush it and get it done right. I expect photos of the next mod shortly. Hint: You cant get this option with painted on stripes.............
Side stripe?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It has been determined that due to ford quality issues, I cannot get the full xpel accomplished at this time. In a week's time I will pick the car up, deal with the warranty paint and wing replacement, and return the car for xpel completion.

I am extremely disappointed in the quality of this car. Just as I dropped it off for xpel, I noticed the rubber mat in the cup holders was missing. Yea, big deal, but for all of the combined issues, I am extremely disappointed.

I am looking forward to getting some time to go through the entire car and doing a quality check of my own.

I will update as this project progresses.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Nothing like the reported issues stood out to me last year when I saw the pre-prod models at Woodward Dream Cruise. The stripes looked good.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Nothing like the reported issues stood out to me last year when I saw the pre-prod models at Woodward Dream Cruise. The stripes looked good.
Do you remember when you told me the stripes were not seamless? Ie) you can see the transition? Well that is the case with mine. Furthermore, some idiot who fell asleep at the polishing wheel left deep compound marks on my hood. There was compound/polish splatter all over the car and caked underneath each fold of the respectice body panel. I paid 10K for an amateur job. Complete shit.

Be glad you didn't get the stripes

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Do you remember when you told me the stripes were not seamless? Ie) you can see the transition? Well that is the case with mine. Furthermore, some idiot who fell asleep at the polishing wheel left deep compound marks on my hood. There was compound/polish splatter all over the car and caked underneath each fold of the respectice body panel. I paid 10K for an amateur job. Complete shit.

Be glad you didn't get the stripes
Yes, there was the slightest raised edge to them, but they were clearly nicer than vinyl and didn't have an scratches or blemishes...but of course, that's their show car stuff...

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
Has anyone ever heard of a car taking TWO WEEKS to do a full Xpel job?
Yup!

I just got my car back. 2 weeks for paint correction, 100% custom PPF, window tint, remove and replace vinyl stripes and side stripes and ceramic coating.

They did a great job and offer long warranty on their work.

a top end shop may take a long time.

https://bayareadetails.com/

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yup!

I just got my car back. 2 weeks for paint correction, 100% custom PPF, window tint, remove and replace vinyl stripes and side stripes and ceramic coating.

They did a great job and offer long warranty on their work.

a top end shop may take a long time.

https://bayareadetails.com/
Well, its going to be a partial ppf until the discovered warranty discrepancies are taken care of. Ill have it back in a week.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
FWIW, my penske stripes are seamless and impossible to detect, at least for me. Granted, I have polished the car a couple times but I looked at them very closely before any paint correction and they were perfect as far as I could tell.

Sorry about your experience though, Tom...very sorry.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, my penske stripes are seamless and impossible to detect, at least for me. Granted, I have polished the car a couple times but I looked at them very closely before any paint correction and they were perfect as far as I could tell.

Sorry about your experience though, Tom...very sorry.
Yes, a very different time when you had your car at Penske.

I'm not touching the stripes, the warranty paint work pertains to the bumper. They seem to think that the color coat will be OK. It will have to be wet sanded and re cleared.

The wing? This $26,000 item requires approval way up the food chain. I'm still waiting to hear about that. I hope this doesn't turn into WW III. My dealer won't order the wing until they get approval. I will try to remain optimistic.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I will try to remain optimistic.
That's the ticket, Tom...half full works more than half the time in my experience.

Plus, you're due some GOOD luck. So, I am having tons of good thoughts for the store's body shop and I hope they put their best folks on the job.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
That's the ticket, Tom...half full works more than half the time in my experience.

Plus, you're due some GOOD luck. So, I am having tons of good thoughts for the store's body shop and I hope they put their best folks on the job.
No good can come out of sending a car to a body shop. It is something that has to be done. What should not have happened is the car leaving flat rock like that.

I am very disappointed in the build mismanagement, quality of workmanship by Ford and Penske, and the QC folks who let the car go like that. All that time it spent sitting around, all these issues could have been corrected.

You would think that 10K for painted on stripes would have put some extra attention on the car? Those painted on stripes continue to be the curse for anyone who got them. They hold the car up and because of the backlog at Penske, they are doing hasty and rushed work. On top of that, I could have done a better job painting stripes on. I have done it before (on a golf cart albeit, but the process is the same), and mine turned out great. I am an amateur. How does a professional in a world class facility let this happen?

Sure half full. I'll do what I have to do and someday be able to put this horrible experience behind me.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
In a perfect world, there would be another car sitting on the shelf and Ford customer relations would reach out to you to exchange it. As an enthusiast, it pains me to see this. Things like this definitely open the door for other brands and even less expensive Mustang owners to poke fun at how Ford sends out their $100k halo car (excl. Ford GT).

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
No good can come out of sending a car to a body shop.
Tom: While I would agree that your statement is often the case, I will say that I've seen examples of far superior paint jobs by locals than the typical OEM application quality. It can be done but it does have to be near perfect, especially on horizontal surfaces like a hood. I sincerely hope that the painter will throw an extra coat or three of clear on yours so it can be polished to a mirror shine.

Yes, everything you said about the penske option in your case is true without question and for that I am ever so sorry. But, I do think that the hood will come out beautifully in the end and once filmed, you'll hopefully forget all about the experience as you tear up the track at Daytona.

I hope so, anyway..life is just too damn short my friend not to try and find happiness and joy wherever you can.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom: While I would agree that your statement is often the case, I will say that I've seen examples of far superior paint jobs by locals than the typical OEM application quality. It can be done but it does have to be near perfect, especially on horizontal surfaces like a hood. I sincerely hope that the painter will throw an extra coat or three of clear on yours so it can be polished to a mirror shine.

Yes, everything you said about the penske option in your case is true without question and for that I am ever so sorry. But, I do think that the hood will come out beautifully in the end and once filmed, you'll hopefully forget all about the experience as you tear up the track at Daytona.

I hope so, anyway..life is just too damn short my friend not to try and find happiness and joy wherever you can.
I agree with you.
Sponsored