Rough ride 2020 Ecoboost Convertible

OP
OP
Alan2955

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
I agree with you. My apologies. I was an ass when I wrote this. Actually meant to go back in and delete it but obviously forgot. As I just said in my last post these things are subjective. I hope you get things worked out so that you can enjoy the car.
Thanks for your apology. It’s accepted.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

If you're open to smaller wheels, it'll make a big difference. I jumped out of my '17 V6 to drive a '18 Ecoboost and it felt like a dump truck on downtown Dallas streets, in comparison. But I bought one anyway, and put 19s on it. Still have my '18 convertible with 20s, which of course is worse. I just learned to live with it. Just remember that tire wear has an exponential effect on ride when the tire profile is small. You might be surprised how much it smoothes out, and quiets down, with new tires. Or look into 17" wheels if you're going to be unhappy.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yes it no doubt could be improved, but it’s a gamble as to how much. Probably money and stress ahead to just live with it, and eventually dump for something that rides better. Plus the crappy automatic transmission irritates me and likely won’t ever be right either. So glad I didn’t buy this new and take a 8 grand plus hit on depreciation. It’s a beautiful car though. No argument there.
Check this thread out for your tranny issues. Could just be a relearn issue or low fluid. These tranny's rock so you may want to have yours checked out.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...h-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/#post-2787479

Deleted member 35644

Yes it no doubt could be improved, but it’s a gamble as to how much. Probably money and stress ahead to just live with it, and eventually dump for something that rides better. Plus the crappy automatic transmission irritates me and likely won’t ever be right either. So glad I didn’t buy this new and take a 8 grand plus hit on depreciation. It’s a beautiful car though. No argument there.
You're not the only one with transmission issues, and it had been looked at through a microscope, and re-flashed. Some of the A10s are just turds at install.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Just move on already and buy some Conti DWS 06 all-seasons in 255/45 front and 275/40 rear (or go with 255/45 all around).
You won't have any trouble offloading the PS4S tires to somebody else.
The Pirelli Neros are unmitigated shit. List them on Craiglist and some moron will take them off your hands.

Sponsored

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Just move on already and buy some Conti DWS 06 all-seasons in 255/45 front and 275/40 rear (or go with 255/45 all around).
You won't have any trouble offloading the PS4S tires to somebody else.
The Pirelli Neros are unmitigated shit. List them on Craiglist and some moron will take them off your hands.
Absolutely correct! I have 2500 miles on those lousy Pirellis and I'm going to go to the Continentals ( a VASTLY superior tire in comparison) in the 45 profile, probably soon. Just have to have the dealer correct the speedo for the 45 series sidewall.

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I don’t like a harsh shitty ride. I never had people comment that the 2014 rode like a log wagon. And it cornered fine for my needs. I’ve owned a few Mustangs and this is by far the worst riding. I’d bet a fortune it’s not defective. The dealer just had it apart for a creaking strut bearing and aligned it too. If anything was wrong the tech would have seen it. It drives and rides just like before he worked on it. Vibration free and tracks straight as an arrow. It’s just biased to handling at the expense of ride quality. The 2014 felt looser and floatier but absorbed bumps much better. The 40 profile tires are no doubt a big culprit too. This is what we get when automakers try to satisfy the hard core magazines, at the expense of the 80% of folks who would prefer to not feel every crack in the road. We don’t even have curves here. It’s obviously harder sprung and damped than the 2014 V6 was I definitely don’t want to buy new wheels, and preferably not tires. My best bet may be live with it a while and eventually dump it on a better riding convertible. Problem is choices are few, especially American ones. Camaro or Mustang. Period. The only reason I bought it was because the top drops. It’s a play car only. And I do love the looks and acceleration. I honestly don’t care about how fast it takes a corner. Maybe a German convertible would be more suitable? Or just find a nice 2014 again. Thanks to everyone for their input.
I had a 2012 Pony Package Mustang with 18" wheels (standard with that package) before my 2017 GT also with 18" wheels. Between the two cars, the 2012 rode better that my current 2017 GT and the other EBs and V6 models I test drove before I bought my GT. I believe this is related to the amount of suspension travel the S550 has in the rear.....which is not as much as the S197. So, the newer cars ride a little harsher than the older ones. They are not the same car.

The perception of a "stiff suspension" is usually caused by how the lightest part of the car is sprung. In a Mustang that is the rear of the car. What I have noticed with my 2017 is that there is a difference in ride quality between a full tank of gas and a 1/4 tank of gas. Loaded up for a long vacation, my 2017 rides allot better.

The other thing that adds to ride perception is shock/strut valving. Frankly the OE Ford shocks/struts are TERRIBLE...BAD....SHIT...just to be clear. This is because they do not dampen low speed movement and have very poor rebound dampening. So hitting a bump is not an event that stops immediately....it keeps moving the car around. All of this makes your brain think your car rides like crap.

Fixes...Taller side wall tires, but you already figured that out. The other is shocks and struts, and yes I am suggesting you take off perfectly "good" shocks and struts. I would recommend Bilstiens (I have them on my E350 van and they are awesome) or the Koni STR.T shocks and struts.

On my 2012 Mustang I installed take off Boss 302 Struts/Springs and Koni Sports on the rear with stock springs. Handling improved dramatically and so did ride quality. On my 2017 I installed Koni Sports all around with PP Front springs before the car had 3K miles on it. The 2017 doesn't ride better or worse but at least it isn't bouncing around like it used to.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I just drove this car (https://www.malloyfordalexandria.com/new/Ford/2020-Ford-Mustang-bbad1c680a0e0adf666e9d8a6d321348.htm) - it's been on the lot for a full year.

Ok so it's not a 'vert but otherwise it's as fancy as it comes. Driving over recessed manhole covers - the closest thing to a square bump of 1-2" high one can hit with any regularity was good; a nice muffled thud. What was NOT cool was the lack of rebound which manifested itself as rocking the chassis left and right. (I guess that Bullitt with MR I drove some months ago that felt really loose didn't have blown shocks after all...sad, very sad). I didn't have an opportunity to take it on my 4-loop clover leaf circuit which also has sections of new and craptastic pavement. I spent 15 minutes hitting that loop in my F150 (B6 bilstein family at all corners, lowered and shod with General GMax AS) right before the Mustang drive so the memory was fresh.

There is a little bit of staccato effect out of the F150 rear wheels but the F150 is hardly a good suspension platform to begin with - but the B6 stability in pitch and rebound control was vastly superior to factory.

Long story short, even the Magneride is really not very good - and quite lame when compared to what GM does with their implementation. It's a somewhat better than the B6 on square edge bumps (compression stroke) but the Bilsteins are noticeably better where it really counts - rebound and the resulting chassis stability. So if you want a good quality ride, don't look at Ford with the exception of the FRPP track shocks.

PS. the HPP ecoboost was disappointing. It had all the same power delivery pathologies as my factory-tune '19 EB even if it felt a tad more meaty. Ford really doesn't know what the hell they are doing in the fuel/spark/boost mapping. My Unleashed Tune'd car pulls cleanly and eagerly at all throttle openings and when you really get on it, the power comes on with gusto. The HPP might do better than mine at full boil but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
OP, can you post some pics of your car please? And maybe the window sticker?

Maybe a little investigation is in order.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Some pics of a side view on the driver and passenger sides.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Alan2955

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
Absolutely correct! I have 2500 miles on those lousy Pirellis and I'm going to go to the Continentals ( a VASTLY superior tire in comparison) in the 45 profile, probably soon. Just have to have the dealer correct the speedo for the 45 series sidewall.
Yes I checked at discount tire and the guy thought I could take a 45 series tire instead of the 40. Today I drove another used mustang convertible at a Ford dealer just to see how it rode on the 18 inch 50 series tires. It was definitely a bit better than my 40 series but still didn’t ride as good as my 2014 did. The base suspension on the mustang is an odd combination of harsh on rough surfaces and floaty on dips and such. But I can tell I be throwing my money away to bother to change the wheels to 18 inch after driving one with those. The improvement is too small for the cost. The transmission in the one I drove today was even rougher and poorer behaved than mine is after the reflash. So it looks like my issues are just normal for the car, and I may as well live with it. If I keep it long enough to need new tires I will definitely change to a different brand in a 45 series. What’s involved in having the speedometer corrected?

OP
OP
Alan2955

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

What are you wanting to investigate? It’s a 2020 ecoboost premium plus convertible with the 19 inch wheel and stripe package. Also has the safety package.

OP
OP
Alan2955

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some pics of a side view on the driver and passenger sides.
I’m a little mystified what do you want pictures for? It looks like a Mustang convertible LOL. But I added a pic of it to my profile here. Plus a cool pic I took at dusk at my local dealer.
7DBD8388-5EDB-43A4-A9D0-2FEB318E1C4C.jpeg

S550VertCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2013 V6 Mustang Convertible, 2020 GT Convertible CS
31 trying to help the ride. It did help some but it’s still pretty bad on any bumpy roads. I literally have to plan my pleasure drives to be on the smoothest roads possible. The 2014 was much more enjoyable. The 40 series tires may be a lot of my issue. I rented these in 2015 and 2016 and don’t recall the the ride being a lot different than my 2014 felt.
Your experience is absolutely not typical nor are these new Mustangs known for bad rides as you describe. I would go get it checked out.

S550VertCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2013 V6 Mustang Convertible, 2020 GT Convertible CS
I’m a little mystified what do you want pictures for? It looks like a Mustang convertible LOL. But I added a pic of it to my profile here. Plus a cool pic I took at dusk at my local dealer.
7DBD8388-5EDB-43A4-A9D0-2FEB318E1C4C.jpeg
We just love looking at Mustangs. Beautiful color by the way.
Sponsored