Rough ride 2020 Ecoboost Convertible

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Did the dealer let you test drive it before you bought it?
You mean 16,000 miles ago? Seriously I'm calling FUBAR on this thread. Three pages and 45 posts and going nowhere. I knew something was off when OP said his 2014 was a much better ride than his 2020. Really? Can any S197 drivers confirm this (stock for stock). OP has been asked about having the car checked out, testing another 2020, etc, etc. All he reply's is that his car sucks. OP is not interested in solutions, he just wants to bitch. Let him go buy another S197 and go back to the M5G forum.
Sponsored

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Yeah, good lord, anything outside of PP1 to me feels like a Camry - I actually love a nice tight suspension, and I even keep mine in Sport+ most of the time (PP/MR), and I'm running a 20" setup :)

I get bad roads, we have some areas around here that aren't great, but there's __plenty__ of smooth open stretches to cruise, and when the top is down, exhaust growling, I don't even really put much mind into a little bumpy ride. Obviously, YMMV.
Besides my 17 Mustang I have a 17 Camry XSE V6 and it handles nice stock as my DD. Up to 30-32 MPH on the Highway.

L454S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You mean 16,000 miles ago? Seriously I'm calling FUBAR on this thread. Three pages and 45 posts and going nowhere. I knew something was off when OP said his 2014 was a much better ride than his 2020. Really? Can any S197 drivers confirm this (stock for stock). OP has been asked about having the car checked out, testing another 2020, etc, etc. All he reply's is that his car sucks. OP is not interested in solutions, he just wants to bitch. Let him go buy another S197 and go back to the M5G forum.
I agree with the OP and have the same findings going from a 2012 V6 Premium Pony Pkg. to a 2019 Ecoboost Premium, Pony Pkg.
Don't get me wrong, I love the way the new car handles and drives, but make no mistake, stock for stock, the new car has a harsher ride. It's more like my last C6 Corvette. Blame the dampers or the tires or both, but it is real. It's not a problem though, am very happy with the car overall. I am referring in my case to coupes rather than convertibles though.

MargeauxE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Radiant_owl
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost Premium HP engine, Velocity Blue
Fine is in the eye of the beholder. And I seriously doubt it’s a defect. It’s terrible on patched or broken pavement. The suspension would barely move on any car over that kind of stuff. This thing is just stiff as hell. You can barely move it by trying to bounce it by hand. Maybe I don’t like a race car for everyday tooling around. The 2014 had taller tires and definitely a little more forgiving suspension setup. It rarely was so stiff as to be irritating. I still bet the stiff short tires are the main culprit. Maybe you don’t have the shit roads we have in Indiana either. They are terrible. The car feels acceptable on a decent road. I’ll go drive another 2020 with 19 inch wheels just to verify.
I have a 2020 Eco-Boost Premium HPP with 19 inch wheels. My PZeros are summer tires. The car rides rough over broken pavement. If a wide area of broken pavement, the car’s roughness causes my foot to jerk a bit on the accelerator, further roughening the ride. That said, it’s not anyways bad enough that I choose one road over another. I do keep an eye on the pavement ahead as much as I can and make slight adjustments in course—not saying you don’t. I just figured my ride is like that because I don’t have magnaride, which I wanted. But from this thread it sounds as if it’s more wheel size and tires and dampers.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Maybe Ford could sell more Mustangs if they’d realize that not everyone wants a super stiff suspension. They should at least optionally offer a softer one.
Arguably, they already sell a lot of Mustangs, compared to Camaros and Challengers. However, with the demise of convertibles such as the Chrysler Sebring and Toyota Solara, maybe there is an opportunity there? But I'm not sure the Sebring/Solara buyer is who the Mustang is targeted at.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Arguably, they already sell a lot of Mustangs, compared to Camaros and Challengers. However, with the demise of convertibles such as the Chrysler Sebring and Toyota Solara, maybe there is an opportunity there? But I'm not sure the Sebring/Solara buyer is who the Mustang is targeted at.
I would be willing to bet today’s base suspension Mustang would be more comfortable than either the last Sebring (2010) or the Solara (2008). Neither of them had an ounce of performance in them.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would be willing to bet today’s base suspension Mustang would be more comfortable than either the last Sebring (2010) or the Solara (2008). Neither of them had an ounce of performance in them.
Well, I think that is what the OP is looking for, i.e., "less performance". I bought my 2018 because it felt more "German" to me. Obviously, everyone's opinion will vary. But I would argue that the PP suspension should be "base" and the FP Track Pack suspension should be the PP suspension. But again, I like a firm, controlled ride. To each his own.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Well, I think that is what the OP is looking for, i.e., "less performance". I bought my 2018 because it felt more "German" to me. Obviously, everyone's opinion will vary. But I would argue that the PP suspension should be "base" and the FP Track Pack suspension should be the PP suspension. But again, I like a firm, controlled ride. To each his own.
Absolutely. I agree with you 100%. But most of the Mustang owners I’ve encountered still feel the base suspension is to soft. I really cannot recall anyone saying that’s it super stiff. Probably because it isn’t. But since OP thinks it is, he will have to change things to make it softer.

OP
OP
Alan2955

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
Did the dealer let you test drive it before you bought it?
Of course they did. And I noticed the ride was inferior to my 2014. But when you love the looks you tend to overlook the flaws until you live with it a while. Between the crappy ride on ride on rough roads, and the ill mannered 10 speed automatic this thing isn’t going to be mine more than a year or two. I honestly wish I had kept the 2014. Live and learn.

OP
OP
Alan2955

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
Absolutely. I agree with you 100%. But most of the Mustang owners I’ve encountered still feel the base suspension is to soft. I really cannot recall anyone saying that’s it super stiff. Probably because it isn’t. But since OP thinks it is, he will have to change things to make it softer.
That’s kinda funny. Too soft vs a dump truck? . Seriously though everyone that rides in it comments on how bad the ride is. But none of them drive sporty cars. Funny thing is the car is actually a bit floaty at times over dips etc, but handles small imperfections terribly. I’d bet the base tire and wheel combo rides a lot better. Someday I’ll go drive one to see. Maybe Ford didn’t retune the suspension for 40 series tires. I’ve seen others post their displeasure with the ride on this setup, while others think it’s fine. It’s all subjective.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s kinda funny. Too soft vs a dump truck? . Seriously though everyone that rides in it comments on how bad the ride is. But none of them drive sporty cars. Funny thing is the car is actually a bit floaty at times over dips etc, but handles small imperfections terribly. I’d bet the base tire and wheel combo rides a lot better. Someday I’ll go drive one to see. Maybe Ford didn’t retune the suspension for 40 series tires. I’ve seen others post their displeasure with the ride on this setup, while others think it’s fine. It’s all subjective.
?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

:brokenheart:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
You may find this humorous...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-with-the-car-yet.123969/page-10#post-2987266

Post 150. As you said it's all subjective. The good news is that it can be fixed hopefully to your satisfaction. Wheels, tires, springs, etc. If you feel it is worth it, of course.

OP
OP
Alan2955

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What a jerk you are. First of all I bought this car as a 7.5 month old used car. So I’ve just had it 8 weeks nd 2000 miles. Secondly yes the ride sucks. I drove the 2014 for 5 years and 25,000 miles and rarely thought it was bad. Nobody that rode in it commented on it riding bad. About everyone does in the 2020. So go ahead and bash me all you want. The 2 cars have vastly different tires and suspensions. The 2020 is stiffer whether you want to believe it or not. And of course the tires are a culprit too, maybe a big one. You act like I’m attacking your child, not a car. It’s mine and I regret it. If you like yours that’s fine.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
What a jerk you are. First of all I bought this car as a 7.5 month old used car. So I’ve just had it 8 weeks nd 2000 miles. Secondly yes the ride sucks. I drove the 2014 for 5 years and 25,000 miles and rarely thought it was bad. Nobody that rode in it commented on it riding bad. About everyone does in the 2020. So go ahead and bash me all you want. The 2 cars have vastly different tires and suspensions. The 2020 is stiffer whether you want to believe it or not. And of course the tires are a culprit too, maybe a big one. You act like I’m attacking your child, not a car. It’s mine and I regret it. If you like yours that’s fine.
I agree with you. My apologies. I was an ass when I wrote this. Actually meant to go back in and delete it but obviously forgot. As I just said in my last post these things are subjective. I hope you get things worked out so that you can enjoy the car.

OP
OP
Alan2955

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You may find this humorous...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-with-the-car-yet.123969/page-10#post-2987266

Post 150. As you said it's all subjective. The good news is that it can be fixed hopefully to your satisfaction. Wheels, tires, springs, etc. If you feel it is worth it, of course.
Yes it no doubt could be improved, but it’s a gamble as to how much. Probably money and stress ahead to just live with it, and eventually dump for something that rides better. Plus the crappy automatic transmission irritates me and likely won’t ever be right either. So glad I didn’t buy this new and take a 8 grand plus hit on depreciation. It’s a beautiful car though. No argument there.
Sponsored