Oil consumption bad

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So for about almost a year now i’ve had a 2016 GT Premium that I bought, and i’ve dealt with it but finally wanna tackle the issue, my cars oil consumption is really bad, and wastes too much oil, and on hot starts, it will throw smoke out the back, blueish smoke. I pulled the plugs, and cylinder #6 is covered in some black mush. What do y’all think ? Bad valve seals? I have no clue what it could be, debating if i should take it to ford. When i got it it had power train warranty, but person before me had a JLT CAI, which obviously voids the warranty. Any suggestions as to what it could be or what to do ? Thanks.
B0B5319D-4AEF-47D6-A66D-3D90A77A181A.jpeg
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If #6 is the only plug that looks like that then I'd wager that yeah, you probably have a bad valve seal. The other symptoms seem to corroborate that. Any independent shop should be able to pull the head and have it re machined with new valves and it should fix the problem.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would check compression as well. That looks really bad.

I would take it to the dealer and see what they say about warranty. I am guessing the car is tuned as well since it’s a JLT intake?

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If #6 is the only plug that looks like that then I'd wager that yeah, you probably have a bad valve seal. The other symptoms seem to corroborate that. Any independent shop should be able to pull the head and have it re machined with new valves and it should fix the problem.
How much do you think it'll cost? I assume the labor runs it up right?

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I would check compression as well. That looks really bad.

I would take it to the dealer and see what they say about warranty. I am guessing the car is tuned as well since it’s a JLT intake?
Yeah, I was thinking of doing a compression test, and as about the warranty, I believe it is voided, a JLT intake requires a tune so it was tuned, and it'll show how many times it has been tuned, and they'll question it, so for that I'm not too sure.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How much do you think it'll cost? I assume the labor runs it up right?
Depends where you go, anywhere from $1000 to $1500 I would imagine. That's assuming teardown doesn't reveal additional issues, or a bad piston ring or something. But usually you won't see that much plug build up if it's a ring issue.

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Depends where you go, anywhere from $1000 to $1500 I would imagine. That's assuming teardown doesn't reveal additional issues, or a bad piston ring or something. But usually you won't see that much plug build up if it's a ring issue.
Im kind of leaning towards that being the only issue, hoping its nothing else, but I think I'm going to take it to a shop so they can change the seals and while they're at it see if they find anything else.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Im kind of leaning towards that being the only issue, hoping its nothing else, but I think I'm going to take it to a shop so they can change the seals and while they're at it see if they find anything else.
You could always try using the warranty, but given they have to actually do their own consumption test it's going to take longer and may not be covered depending on how much the dealer cares about mods.

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You could always try using the warranty, but given they have to actually do their own consumption test it's going to take longer and may not be covered depending on how much the dealer cares about mods.
Well I took it when I first experienced it, and one of the workers was like "tbh bro their not gonna help you because of the intake and a cache can that it has" , thats why I avoid them, and been wondering what I should do.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You need to change the engine valve cover washer seal.
Its an easy fix
You think I could do it at home ? If yes i’ll do it tomorrow or something, it honestly bugs me a lot and embarrassing when I start it and it smokes haha.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That plug looks awful. How many miles on the engine? Depending on that answer, if you go in there, I'd change whatever is wrong with that cylinder, times 8, since the others are probably not far behind. Those parts are dirt cheap compared to the labor, so change everything that makes sense, to save in future labor, and make your engine more reliable. Good luck.

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That plug looks awful. How many miles on the engine? Depending on that answer, if you go in there, I'd change whatever is wrong with that cylinder, times 8, since the others are probably not far behind. Those parts are dirt cheap compared to the labor, so change everything that makes sense, to save in future labor, and make your engine more reliable. Good luck.
Just hit 23k today, yeah I was thinking the same.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
You think I could do it at home ? If yes i’ll do it tomorrow or something, it honestly bugs me a lot and embarrassing when I start it and it smokes haha.
If you have the skills you could do it. Need to take off the valve cover and change out the seals.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If you have the skills you could do it. Need to take off the valve cover and change out the seals.
How is this an issue with the valve cover if there's no oil on the threads of the plug but only on the tip?
Sponsored