Sponsored

Can a vert get close to a roofed car in handling with add ons?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Bair14,
I understand your comment about feeling like a boat. I know I will never get the precise razor sharp handling I have in the 981GTS but curious if I will miss the P after its' gone if I decide to make a move. I know I can always go back but sometimes as I age just like to experience different experiences .
I don't think I answered this question. I have had my GT for about a year and I miss my 997 more every time I drive the Mustang. But, my wife likes the Mustang and hated the Porsche. It has so much more relaxed handling and response, plus it's easier for her to get in and out of because it's higher. I guess time will tell how this will end. So, be very careful about selling that Boxster.
Sponsored

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Bair,
I hear you and thought your explanation had merit. They are two different cars built for different purposes.
As we age the entering and exiting does make a difference. So far, my wife at 73 likes the 981 and has no difficulty getting in or out. I realize that the Mustang will never equal the 981 on carving corners or the interior quality but as you said it is more relaxed in overall driving and cruising. I hear you on selling too quickly and that is why I am giving it a lot of thought. I drove a 2019 GT A10 convertible before I bought the 981 and have had a GT 197 coup before that so I have a feeling what they are like. I remember the GT was quick, comfortable and loved the exhaust note but at the time could not see paying mid $50's for a new one. However, I also remember how I felt the first time I drove the 981 and it was like the car drove itself around corners and seemed like there was no limit to how fast you could take a corner. It was rock steady with NO body lean or any tire squeal whatsoever. Front end was light with excellent tire feel. The PDK always knows what gear to be in and always seems to anticipate what you will do next. Given that the 981 has over three years left on the Porsche CPO warranty I am in no hurry. When the warranty gets down to under two years I will get serious as it will be easier to turn with a good amount of warranty left. With only 5,000 miles on a 2016 which was the last year of the 3.4 flat six it should be fairly desirable. I am a bit fearful of having a P car out of warranty especially when the closest dealership is 1.5 hours away.
I do appreciate your input as there are not a lot of folks who go from a Porsche to a Mustang so your input has a very good perspective.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Bair,
I hear you and thought your explanation had merit. They are two different cars built for different purposes.
As we age the entering and exiting does make a difference. So far, my wife at 73 likes the 981 and has no difficulty getting in or out. I realize that the Mustang will never equal the 981 on carving corners or the interior quality but as you said it is more relaxed in overall driving and cruising. I hear you on selling too quickly and that is why I am giving it a lot of thought. I drove a 2019 GT A10 convertible before I bought the 981 and have had a GT 197 coup before that so I have a feeling what they are like. I remember the GT was quick, comfortable and loved the exhaust note but at the time could not see paying mid $50's for a new one. However, I also remember how I felt the first time I drove the 981 and it was like the car drove itself around corners and seemed like there was no limit to how fast you could take a corner. It was rock steady with NO body lean or any tire squeal whatsoever. Front end was light with excellent tire feel. The PDK always knows what gear to be in and always seems to anticipate what you will do next. Given that the 981 has over three years left on the Porsche CPO warranty I am in no hurry. When the warranty gets down to under two years I will get serious as it will be easier to turn with a good amount of warranty left. With only 5,000 miles on a 2016 which was the last year of the 3.4 flat six it should be fairly desirable. I am a bit fearful of having a P car out of warranty especially when the closest dealership is 1.5 hours away.
I do appreciate your input as there are not a lot of folks who go from a Porsche to a Mustang so your input has a very good perspective.
I agree, excellent analysis. If you can find a year old CPO Mustang they are an incredible value for the $.. the current model GT verts are over priced in my opinion.
If you drive a shelby gt350, it would be a similar feel to the 981... there are a lot of porsche owners who have gone to the Shelby....

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Lorne, If they made a GT350 or GT500 in a vert then they would be on top of my list. Have read most everything that has come out on both. My wife likes a top down experience and I could go either way. However, after 50 years her wants are a high priority. Since we have two other vehicles this one is a weekend or nice weather toy so would like it to meet both our needs.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
No problem Chuck, totally understand your reasons for wanting a vert. Not trying to sway you from that. Was just making an observation about the 981 comments. In regards to the vert, If you don't need to purchase new the Mustangs are a great value lightly used.

Sponsored

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Lorne,
During the next year or so will look at whats available. Right now, with Covid not moving around much but as i said I am in no hurry. Will definitely look at low mileage CPO as I did for the 981. It took 6 months with 9 dealers in 3 states looking. The problem will be finding a GT vert manual, with MagRide, and PP1 that is CPO. May have to compromise and look for a CPO GT vert manual with MagRide and put the rest on myself. I think I can duplicate all the PP1 equipment myself.
Given what I have read, would want the MagRide as have PASM on the 981 and do like the advanced suspension. IF I have to compromise on some items will take that in consideration of the trade. As I have said, I do not have any real issues with the 981 but as I age I just want to live all the experiences I can. Life is short and you only go around once.....

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The problem will be finding a GT vert manual, with MagRide, and PP1 that is CPO. May have to compromise and look for a CPO GT vert manual with MagRide and put the rest on myself.

I think I can duplicate all the PP1 equipment myself.

FYI, PP1 is required to get Magneride (coupe or convertible GT).

upload_2020-6-11_11-36-41.png

(It's on PP2, Bullit as well, but obv. those aren't convertible variants)

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Masked, Thanks I missed that while I was writing. Well, that may actually be easier as only need to look for a manual vert with one or the other. A Vert with manual will be the hardest to find but as I said, If I do make the move than I have time.
Again thanks for giving the correct information from the order sheet.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
No sweat! Yeah, when I got my '16 GT convertible, I knew I wanted a PP packaged car, and as you may know, the 16-17 PP convertibles were not offered in an automatic (in the US). Anyway, it was tough to find! I think convertible owners - or at least the perception of them - are "cruisers", so they prefer autos, and aren't as worried about "track" type performance improvements. I wound up tracking it down (new), up in MD, had it shipped down to my door in FL :D

After decades of owning manuals, when I got this new '19 GT Vert, I went with the A10, it's a stellar automatic, and finally available with the PP(1) option. I also have MagRide, it's just fantastic, very highly recommended - I generally tweak suspensions pretty quickly after purchase, but I've been very happy with the stock setup - and, though it's not in the spec really, my car does look like it sits lower (and I'm running 20" wheels with a 285/35, and a 305/35 tire, so it looks very hunkered down).

I scored an incredible deal, just the perfect car, at the perfect time, used, but mint, only 4K miles, every option, saved $20K.

Good luck! :like:

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
If I make the move I will hold for a deal similar to what you found. When I finally found the right 981 a GTS with only 3400 miles, mint showroom condition, never seen rain or a non climate controlled garage and it was about $25 grand off its' MSRP. I agree it is better to let someone else take the depreciation hit if possible.
My main concern with an A10 is that autos do not feel as engaging as a manual and various people report A10's search for right gear way too often and seem to rush to the higher gear. These issues seem to present themselves with the Mustang as well as the F150. I know the Ford and Chevy versions are somewhat different however on the Camaro boards there is just as many posts about these issues. I know this manual has had a lot of distractors as well and would much rather have the Tremac but that is not cost effective. I did look for a manual for my 981 but could not pass up this one with a PDK and I am pleased with it. Although not a manual it is Very good. May have to compromise at some point but do want the PP1 with MagnaRide and active exhaust. Thanks for your feedback..
Will be an interesting journey...

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Hunting for gears or being in to high a gear is because it has 10 gears and can use all of them by the time you hit 40 mph, in normal mode. In S/S+ it behaves very much like the PDK, maybe a little bit slower. If you want lightning, hard shifts use drag mode.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Bair, Masked: Will not cross the A10 off just yet. Will drive a few prior to a decision and may be my only option when the time comes. There Are times when I enjoy just putting the tran in drive mode and letting it do its' thing. Cruising is nice at times. As long as when you want to add some spice to your drives you can use S or S+. I do use Sport in the 981 on occasion however on the PDK the Sport + with Sport Chrono is too intense for the street. Having a level above the Sport could be useful. Again, thanks for all the input. I will drive a few and will not cross the A10 off just yet. It is good to have knowledgeable folks to bounce ideas off of who have gone down a similar path.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Bair, Masked: Will not cross the A10 off just yet. Will drive a few prior to a decision and may be my only option when the time comes. There Are times when I enjoy just putting the tran in drive mode and letting it do its' thing. Cruising is nice at times. As long as when you want to add some spice to your drives you can use S or S+. I do use Sport in the 981 on occasion however on the PDK the Sport + with Sport Chrono is too intense for the street. Having a level above the Sport could be useful. Again, thanks for all the input. I will drive a few and will not cross the A10 off just yet. It is good to have knowledgeable folks to bounce ideas off of who have gone down a similar path.
The A10 behavior is determined by D or S mode on the shifter and by the mode settings (normal, track, Sport+, drag, etc.) on the steering wheel. If you get a test drive, you won't get a chance to try all the mode combos. So, just put the shifter in S mode and leave the steering wheel settings alone. This gives you same type feel you get with normal PDK settings and works well. Sounds good and rev matches, too. Don't put the shifter in D mode and the steering wheel in normal. That uses all 10 gears by the time you get to 40 mph. Great for gas mileage but boring as hell.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
That uses all 10 gears by the time you get to 40 mph.
Are you going downhill?? I typically donā€™t see 10th until north of 55 mph terminal speed. The only time the A10 is ā€œboring as hellā€ is if you are driving that way.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Are you going downhill?? I typically donā€™t see 10th until north of 55 mph terminal speed. The only time the A10 is ā€œboring as hellā€ is if you are driving that way.
Gears? I have 3.15. 10th gear at 40 mph in suburban street traffic. It is quiet and feels like driving any other automatic. This is D and normal. S and normal is quite another matter.
Sponsored