Sponsored

Can a vert get close to a roofed car in handling with add ons?

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex-'16 Mustang EcoBaby // Current '16 GT Convertible
Try a Gen 3 car with PP1 + MR, it's extremely planted, and reasonably communicative.
What is a Gen 3 car? a S550 19+? hard top?

Hmm, definitely should not have any rattles on a convertible roof. The only ones I have experience of rattling have been broken, all the other cars haven’t rattled.
The soft rattle is only when you drive through significant road joints, naturally this is going to happen as the soft top has movable parts, hence the rigidity is sacrified.

Also, when driving through this road joints, there is a 'wobbly' effect present on the convertible which is not present on the fastback.

Or is my vert which has an issue?

My 997.2 was a cabriolet. It was a little quieter than my GT with the top up. But, it isn't something I actively notice. The rear window of the GT tends to flap a bit with the top up and windows down, at higher speeds. This is not uncommon to convertibles, but did not occur in my Porsche.

Don't all cars use electric power steering now? Anyway, Sport mode setting for the steering provides more road feel.
I agree on the rear window.

The sport steering setting provides slightly more road feel and stiffs the wheel, but not at BMW level and not close to Porsche level.
My two cents: the Mustang is a GT, not a canyon eater car. Is a car to enjoy on a roadtrip, not a small, nimble and mighty car such a 718 Porsche or a Miata (not taking into account the power train).

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

Gen3 in terms of the engine, but I was really saying (and probably should had to avoid confusion) a MY18+ (and talking convertibles). My '19 feels a little more "put together" vs. my '16, both were PP cars, but there was some general improvements to the MY18+, and then factor in the Magneride system, and it's just outstanding.

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 in terms of the engine, but I was really saying (and probably should had to avoid confusion) a MY18+ (and talking convertibles). My '19 feels a little more "put together" vs. my '16, both were PP cars, but there was some general improvements to the MY18+, and then factor in the Magneride system, and it's just outstanding.
I cannot agree more. The jump between a 16 vert and an 19 w/MR vert is more than noticeable. Also interiorwise!

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The sport steering setting provides slightly more road feel and stiffs the wheel, but not at BMW level and not close to Porsche level.
My two cents: the Mustang is a GT, not a canyon eater car. Is a car to enjoy on a roadtrip, not a small, nimble and mighty car such a 718 Porsche or a Miata (not taking into account the power train).
I always prefer a smaller, lighter car. I really miss the nimbleness of my Porsche. The problem I have is trying to find a convertible with a back seat big enough for the grand kids. They outgrew the rear seat in the Porsche. I looked at a lot of other 4 seat convertibles and the Mustang had the most rear seat room, the lightest weight and the best performance. BMW makes some convertible models that are a nice smaller size. But, they are deceptively heavy. My only other choice was a resto-mod from the 60s.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I always prefer a smaller, lighter car. I really miss the nimbleness of my Porsche. The problem I have is trying to find a convertible with a back seat big enough for the grand kids. They outgrew the rear seat in the Porsche. I looked at a lot of other 4 seat convertibles and the Mustang had the most rear seat room, the lightest weight and the best performance. BMW makes some convertible models that are a nice smaller size. But, they are deceptively heavy. My only other choice was a resto-mod from the 60s.
Yeah, I've really enjoyed having the backseat, that was one of my requirements when I started shopping the previous GT convertible. Otherwise, no family cruises, no taking it down to Orlando for a show, etc., with the whole family (or having to drive two cars).

When I went to replace the '16, the only other car I considered was a ZL1 convertible, I was also factoring in an automatic this time. The Camaro convertible has some top/space issues, and a couple of the top perks I added to my GT by way of a SmartTop module - at the end of the day, around town, with the 3.55s, the GT feels just as quick, it's better looking, has better rear seats, and I just couldn't do another $20,000 for just a bump in (already unusable) power.

Not a lot of option in the this category, I mean, there's some products from Audi, Mercedes, that just do __not__ click with me.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible

The soft rattle is only when you drive through significant road joints, naturally this is going to happen as the soft top has movable parts, hence the rigidity is sacrified.

Also, when driving through this road joints, there is a 'wobbly' effect present on the convertible which is not present on the fastback.

Or is my vert which has an issue?

I agree on the rear window.

The only things which rattle are the loose seatbelts, check they are secured then try again. If it does I'd suggest you have an issue. The wobble is normal and I've reduced mine, it feels more controlled, but it's still there to a degree.

The Pilot Sport 4s made a massive difference to the steering feel on mine, coming from the Jag (other car), an HPAS system (other, other car) and a line of Fiesta ST's (and a car with no PAS at all) all of which have incredible steering feel the Mustang is still really good.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Been away for a day but glad to see info on the GT both hardtop and Vert has continued.. I think in all honesty to compare it to a modern Porsche is not really fair. The price point is completely different and possibly double. I love the handling of my 981 cabriolet and know that the Mustang is not likely to compare with the nimbleness or steering feel but the Mustang is giving up 700+ lb. I agree the GT 350 can hang with a Porsche but I don't feel the GT350 is as good a road or trip car as the GT. I have heard the GT350 will tramline and one needs to pay attention to the roads. There are times however when my Porsche feels cramped in the cockpit. The sport seats are very comfortable and you do not move doing hard corners but you need to keep your position as they will not let you move much so for long drives it seems less comfortable than some cruising cars. The ride is fine but the lack of being able to move in the seat can be tiring. It has been said that the GT is more of a Grand Touring car and from the posts here it sounds if that is true. Barron did post some very good G force turn numbers but from what most have said I think the GT works better as a cruiser with some cornering ability especially in Vert form. However, the Mustang may be a better jack of all trades than my 981 and what it gives up in scalpel like handling to the Porsche it may make up for in overall comfort, back seats and being cheaper to operate.

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi guys,
Installed this past weekend both steeda jacking rails and gtrac K brace. Installation took me nearly two hours in a DIY box with a friend, not as easy as I thought, but nevertheless fun.

The car has significantly improved, not in handling (the steering wheel is as floaty and as electric assisted as always ) but the woobly jelly horizontal shake that you get on the vert when crossing over a road joint has (nearly) vanished. Not completely, but it is now present only on big joints that truly shake the car.

Very very happy. The car should come like this stock. Remember that I have also the FP upper strut tower brace (sold in the EU by the dealers, which is in fact that of the GT350R)

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t have the lower K brace but I do have the strut Tower brace and jacking rails and they do make a big difference. Weight isn’t really a penalty either.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Pardoneo, Tim:
How much of a job was it to do the strut tower brace and Tim did you get aftermarket or go with the GT350 one?
Did it cause any negative comfort or NVH issues?

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Update on the same question: Is the GT 350 strut tower brace different than the one on the PP1 cars?

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the one I have, RHD version of course. It’s four bolts to fit plus you’ll need to get it past the battery cable, some people have enough slack to feed it under the cable and some people have to remove the terminal off the battery and feed it round. I’d say it’s a 10-15 minute job, longer if you can’t find your tools :crackup:

I actually didn’t fit mine because my car was going in for some other work, I enquired about them supplying the parts with the intention of fitting them myself but thanks to an owners club discount they could supply and fit the parts for less than what I could buy them from Ford myself, so I opted to have them put on by the guys doing the work so I could pick up the car ready done.

There are no NVH changes, e.g. road noise, but because the scuttle shake is better controlled the noise from that is reduced. Basically it feels like the suspension is working as it should be able to rather than the body shaking to absorb all but the largest of bump forces. It’ll be a slim difference but it’ll probably help keep interior rattles reduced as the car ages. I wouldn’t drive a convertible without one now, the UK roads aren’t great and although the GT is a good riding car over here having the extra steering feel improvements just makes the car feel that bit more special to drive. I’m also running jacking rails and Michelin MPS4S, both of which have contributed to improved ride and steering feel and body control.
6FE7211B-3203-4B3E-95F0-6D77DB4298F0.jpeg

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Tim, thanks for the information.
Still wondering if the strut tower brace is the one that comes standard on US PP1 cars? I would imagine it is.
If so, they only adding the jacking rails and possibly some under carriage braces would be all that would be needed if you wanted to get a fairly balanced feel.
Would be nice if the Pilot Sports were an option on the car from the factory..
Sponsored