Sponsored

Can a vert get close to a roofed car in handling with add ons?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
PP1 3.55 Torsen. Ah, the PP1 has a different tune.

Where in SE Wisconsin? I was born in Elkhorn/Lake Geneva when my father was working at Yerkes Observatory.
Beautiful area. I always dreamed of owning a house on Lake Geneva, but I would need to win a lottery... a decent sized lottery. I live in Menomonee Falls, which is about 50 miles Northeast.

I can see where the gearing would make a difference. I was thinking of getting mine changed. I was not aware of a different tune. Good to know.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, I've a PP car so I have the 3.55 rear, I think it really makes a difference.

@OLdchuck the PP1 comes with a TORSEN rear end, with a 3.55 in the A10, and a 3.73 in the M6, the latter is even more important, as the revised M6 ratios are apparently pretty lazy feeling. Note that you can also get the same rear gears as an inexpensive stand-alone option (though it's not a TORSEN).

When I was shopping mine, and looking at new '19 cars, while I was kind of OK without the PP1, I knew I wanted the 3.55 option, and found a decent number of cars with it. I __almost__ pulled the trigger on a blue one, had the 401a, Ebony, S&S, B&O, and the 3.55 rear, would've been a terrific car, but I am glad I hung tough and my car came along, especially now knowing how well the PP/MR setup works.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Masked, I agree the 3.55 would make a big difference if you are into the best performance you can have with the stock A10. Have played with rear gears in my youth and the best way to get a car to accelerate faster is to lower the rear gear.
As long as you have enough gear so a car will not scream on the highway like earlier Mustangs with 3 or 4 speeds and 4.11 or so rear ends. Without an overdrive or 5th gear they were screaming over 3,000 at normal highway speeds. However, given the A10's number of and amount of gearing that would not be an issue. When I look at the gearing on the A10 I can see why it is faster than the M6. Some is faster shifts but looking at the gearing and torque bands the A10 is staying in the sweet spot much more than the M6. Now I know 1/2 second to 60 or 1/4 mile means little on the street but just saying
in further research of the A10 it does utilize its' gears and torque band more effectively than the M6.

Sponsored

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Ed, that is interesting that all the modes are in the same gear. I would not have thought that. I wonder if the RPM is the same? I know in my P car that there is a Very noticeable difference between D, Sport and Sport+ both in the gear selection and RPM. At each selection the gear goes down and the RPM goes up as you move to the next selection. In Sport+ it is almost too intense for the street.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
In normal driving, the only real difference is between D and S on the shifter. Shift points (up and down) change a lot with the steering wheel modes, when you drive more aggressively. Gas mileage changes a lot between D and S, too; at least on my car with the 3.15 gears. In D mode, I can get 22 - 25 mpg. In S mode, I get 18 mpg.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Ed, that is interesting that all the modes are in the same gear.
How are 7th, 9th and 10th all the same gear? :confused:

Something must have been lost in translation. 40 mph was a steady-state condition, i.e. cruising. Accelerating is a different issue. Rain/snow shifts through all 10 gears, but at a very low rpm. D may skip gears depending on how quickly you are accelerating. S, S+ and Track will shift through all 10 gears with increasingly sensitive throttle response and shift quickness. Drag mode is limited to no more than 7th gear and the shifts, as described in these forums, is “brutal” or “violent.” As The Beach Boys sang in Little Deuce Coupe, “She pulls rubber in all four gears.”

Turbo8u

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
@Balr14 Is your '18 convertible a Perf Package car? With MR?

Those two options, combined with Active Exhaust, is just transformative to the driving experience, both cruising and "serious" (I mean, what you can do reasonably safe on the street).

I've had highly tuned cars, a Z06, an S2000, a Z3 (a few BMWs ...), other late[r] model Vettes setup with T1 suspension, etc., and from that context, I think it's stellar. Mine is also tuned, a few intake/exhaust mods, and the tuning is also on the transmission, it's an A10, so it's nasty in sport mode :)
I see you had your A10 tuned. Who did you use for that? I have a A10 PP1 Vert and mountain run it all the time so that would be a great upgrade.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Turbo8u, If you find someone around your area do post as may want to find someone who is good with the Coyote in your area. Do not know who may be good and reputable in this part of Georgia.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I see you had your A10 tuned. Who did you use for that? I have a A10 PP1 Vert and mountain run it all the time so that would be a great upgrade.
I used AED, and there's also Lund and PBD, all are pretty good, solid tuner talent at those companies. However, I'd definitely consider someone local, I'd think Atlanta would have some awesome tuner resources. My '16 had a tune from Torrie at Unleashed who is local here in St. Aug, I didn't use him for the '19 because he wasn't doing Flex Tunes (which I wound up not using anyway). It's nice to have a shop you can physically drive to, vs. relying on email or the phone, and if they have a dyno, you can get things really dialed in.

BTW, love Magnetic with the red interior option, my '16 was black with red, but I was originally shopping Magnetic. I'm a big fan of the darker metallic gray colors (had it on a number of vehicles), though with my '19 I went the other way with color (Orange Fury).

Sigster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Hey Turbo8u. Alpharetta Vert owner here. Growing up in Central Florida, I never had the great mountain roads like we do up here - 6 Gaps, Cherohala Skyway et al. Be sure to watch the Georgia Roll Call thread under SE USA Forum. Also Atlanta S550 on FB. Please post and share as you find competent local shops, especially for Tune.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Sigster, I too grew up in Central Florida and the roads in N Georgia, NC and E Tennessee are great indeed.
Last time I was down in CF I got really bored with the roads and much harder to find any roads without traffic.
I grew up when there was little traffic in CF and that is hard to imagine now.

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kia Stinger, 2018 Kia Sedona
No sweat! Yeah, when I got my '16 GT convertible, I knew I wanted a PP packaged car, and as you may know, the 16-17 PP convertibles were not offered in an automatic (in the US). Anyway, it was tough to find! I think convertible owners - or at least the perception of them - are "cruisers", so they prefer autos, and aren't as worried about "track" type performance improvements. I wound up tracking it down (new), up in MD, had it shipped down to my door in FL :D

After decades of owning manuals, when I got this new '19 GT Vert, I went with the A10, it's a stellar automatic, and finally available with the PP(1) option. I also have MagRide, it's just fantastic, very highly recommended - I generally tweak suspensions pretty quickly after purchase, but I've been very happy with the stock setup - and, though it's not in the spec really, my car does look like it sits lower (and I'm running 20" wheels with a 285/35, and a 305/35 tire, so it looks very hunkered down).

I scored an incredible deal, just the perfect car, at the perfect time, used, but mint, only 4K miles, every option, saved $20K.

Good luck! :like:
Masked,
If you don't mind me asking, what wheel and tire combo do you have on your car? Size wise, I like the setup you have.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Masked,
If you don't mind me asking, what wheel and tire combo do you have on your car? Size wise, I like the setup you have.
No sweat, the tires are as I indicated above: 285/35-20 front, 305/35-20 rear, that are the same front-to-rear ratio as my factory PP tires. I went with the 35 profile vs. a 30 profile, I like the slightly more filled fenders, slightly improved ride quality and they're still very low profile (so it's not like they're truck tires).

Wheels are 20x10 ET35 front, and 20x11 ET50 rear, they're a MRR wheels, the model is an M600 in satin black, the offset is very important, that's just about a perfect specification for near flush but without sticking out at all.

https://www.mrrwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/m600

Tires are Nitto 555 G2, they're _ok_, but when I replace them, I'll be switching to a Firestone Firehawk Indy in the same size (they're a fantastic tire according to owners and reviews).
Sponsored