SPRING RATES & DROPS: ALL IN ONE THREAD!!

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Both are excellent. With the SP763 I'd probably go with the FP track. Up until recently the Bilstein were not regularly available so it was the FP by default.

Then it’s FP Tracks/SP763 setup for me

Appreciate the help

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
Since 2016 I've been running with the BMR SP763 (SP089 + SP082) and Ford factory PP1 struts/shocks. I like the stance a lot. I track the car a few times a year and I'd like a little less body roll and some firmness, but still a comfortable road car.

I've been considering the FP track damper kit or the Steeda Pro-Action kit (adjustable or non). My question is will dampers alone be a significant change that makes me say "wow" these made such a difference, or "meh" I guess it's a little different than I had? Basically, are dampers alone worth it?

I would consider a full suspension package if that's what it takes, but not too much drop. What do you guys think?

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Since 2016 I've been running with the BMR SP763 (SP089 + SP082) and Ford factory PP1 struts/shocks. I like the stance a lot. I track the car a few times a year and I'd like a little less body roll and some firmness, but still a comfortable road car.

I've been considering the FP track damper kit or the Steeda Pro-Action kit (adjustable or non). My question is will dampers alone be a significant change that makes me say "wow" these made such a difference, or "meh" I guess it's a little different than I had? Basically, are dampers alone worth it?

I would consider a full suspension package if that's what it takes, but not too much drop. What do you guys think?
The FP track dampers will make a noticeable difference.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I dropped my pony on SVE progressive's & am buying FP shocks & strut's myself.

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
I'd be interested to know if any of you have just changed shocks without changing springs. I have a PP1 , which is what we get here in Aus, and I was wondering if I just went to Bilstein B6s would that be significant enough to improve the handling or would springs be required to make a noticeable improvement. I don't really want to go down that path unless I have to and any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the PP1 rear shocks are horrible. Going to Bilstein would be a very good idea. The front PP1 aren't nearly so bad. I would try just the rear Bilstein and then re-evaluate.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'd be interested to know if any of you have just changed shocks without changing springs.
Yes - on three of our last four cars, actually. And on two cars before those. They weren't S550 Mustangs, but the specific car doesn't make much difference as far as this is concerned. In general, the added composure is worth more than the quarter to on the very outside half a degree of roll per lat-g (you'll see less than half that much reduction in roll in most street driving), or the percent or two change in the lateral load transfer distribution that the springs might give you.

Norm

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'd be interested to know if any of you have just changed shocks without changing springs. I have a PP1 , which is what we get here in Aus, and I was wondering if I just went to Bilstein B6s would that be significant enough to improve the handling or would springs be required to make a noticeable improvement. I don't really want to go down that path unless I have to and any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Yes - and they probably will have more effect on handling that just spring alone. My first car ('15 GT, non-PP) was seriously under-damped.

Greystang17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I installed ford performance track strut/shocks and bmr sp763 spring kit this weekend. I'm pretty happy with the look with the mild drop and with the new dampers it feels just like stock as far as harshness, but way more planted coing around curves.
20200511_212344.jpg
20200511_212309.jpg
20200511_134210.jpg

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
I pulled the trigger on the Ford Performance track damper kit (M-18000-F) and paired them to my BMR SP763 springs. I could immediately feel the difference and they are a great combo. I'd recommend this set up.

Driving at low speed on the subdivision streets the car felt a little stiffer and bumpier. On the open road the car felt controlled, sure footed and even the steering felt firmer to me. There was very little difference in ride comfort on the road, slightly firmer at most compared to the stock performance pack dampers. I'll be heading to the track next weekend to try them out there.

In full disclosure, I also did the FP rear lower control arm to toe link bearings (M-5A460-M) at the same time. I'm not sure how much this contributed in addition to the dampers. Pressing the first one was challenging, but after some learning experience and trips to the store I pressed the second one easily.

I'm happy with this suspension set up! Recommend if you're considering it.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
the PP1 rear shocks are horrible. Going to Bilstein would be a very good idea. The front PP1 aren't nearly so bad. I would try just the rear Bilstein and then re-evaluate.
I bit the bullet and now have the B6s all round so now I just have to get them fitted.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Perfect for a street car!
With the GT350R sway bars my car is annoying sometimes because whatever waves are in the pavement, it follows them like it's on roller coaster rails, especially when the dips on the right are lower than the left and vice versa, it twists the car like a boat on the ocean. I thought maybe a progressive spring would help but because of the GT350 wheels poking out the front, an 0.5" drop seemed to be the safest bet. The only progressives I could find with 0.5" drop were the Steeda Ultimate Handling springs, but Steeda told me those wouldn't work with my stock shocks. So I looked at the Steeda Pro Active or Koni Special Active shocks/struts but in addition to the extra cost, reviews seem to point to those as more for controlling rough pavement, not wavy pavement. That left three minimum drop spring choices but all are linear, not progressive. The BMR and Steeda min drop springs had rates very similar to my PP1 rates, but the J&M rates are higher so I went with those for better handling but still don't have a solution to the original problem of the car rocking back and forth with wavy road surfaces. I have a feeling new springs may make it worse but don't know if different shocks would help (or be worth the extra money).

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
That's not usually swaybars, although they can contribute. To me sounds like bumpsteer and/or scrub radius from wheels doing most of it.
Hmm. It's not bouncing, it rolls nicely through the dips in the road. I had the car aligned to GT350 specs to try and eliminate any scrub radius issues but who knows. This is probably me just being too whiny, because it sticks to the road like glue and on nice smooth roads it handles great.