Sponsored

Question Using Floor Jack and Race Ramps together

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
When jacking up one side of the Mustang high enough to place an 8" Race Ramp under the front tires,
is there a maximum lift height before it starts to negatively affect the opposite side due to the cars weight shifting over?

It would seem that there would be a lot of weight placed on the two opposite tires.

It looks like I'll need to jack up the car about 16" or 17" to fit the Race Ramp underneath the front tires.
Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I just jacked mine up enough to get the ramps underneath and used horsepower and torque to finish. My Speed 3 had to go up far enough to rest on the top of the ramps. Couldn't start it up - no oil due to a snapped-off oil filter. :curse: My wooden ramps are graduated enough to clear the chin of the EB.
Mazda Lift 03.JPG

OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just jacked mine up enough to get the ramps underneath and used horsepower and torque to finish. My Speed 3 had to go up far enough to rest on the top of the ramps. Couldn't start it up - no oil due to a snapped-off oil filter. :curse: My wooden ramps are graduated enough to clear the chin of the EB.
Mazda Lift 03.JPG
Thanks for the response Mike, but that didn't even come close to answering my question.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Why would you not just drive up the ramps? As for your question, Not sure I would lift it that high for your tire to clear the ramp like that.

OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Why would you not just drive up the ramps? As for your question, Not sure I would lift it that high for your tire to clear the ramp like that.
Driving up the ramps is always a little dicey when doing it by yourself.
So I bought myself a floor jack and thought I'd do it the safer way.

But when I saw how high it needs to be jacked up to fit under the ramps, I was a little concerned at how much weight
would be shifted to the other tires during the process. Now I'm second guessing whether I should continue with this method.

I know a lot of folks here use jacking rails (I have those too) so I figured I'd find a lot of folks with experience and/or similar concerns?

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Personally don't see an issue from this unless the angle of the car is going more than 40 degrees to the side or something. Instead of jacking the car in the middle, you should jack as close to each corner as you can (using the pinch weld/jacking rail) and do one at a time.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response Mike, but that didn't even come close to answering my question.
How 'bout this: Even a moderately tight turn loads up the outside tires/wheels/suspension more than just leaning the car over a few degrees.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Driving up the ramps is always a little dicey when doing it by yourself.
So I bought myself a floor jack and thought I'd do it the safer way.
that 1st time driving up those Race Ramps is scary but you got this. Take a deep breath and go for it.

Worse scenario is you go past the mark and you need that jack to bail you out ... lol

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
If you jack one side up more than 6" it will cause the weight to shift too much to the other side and cause your sidewalls to blow out. Then the rims will warp and the car will turn over onto its side

OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
How 'bout this: Even a moderately tight turn loads up the outside tires/wheels/suspension more than just leaning the car over a few degrees.
Yes, thank-you Mike, that response was more on target.
I was thinking of that same principle too.
Sponsored