Sponsored

End of the GT350 Production. What is Ford's plan?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
if you can find a low mileage 201/2013 Boss 302 with the Laguna Seca model the ultimate to purchase I suggest that you will be very impressed with this car as they are a blast to drive.
Jerry's Ford Alexandria VA has one in black. Zero miles on it.
Yes, Leguna edition. It's dusty as all hell but it's been sitting on the show room for I guess 7 years now.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
You had to already appreciate road racing and road course driving - or at least corner-carving in general - in order to really appreciate the recent Boss 302. I'm afraid that the average enthusiast doesn't look far enough past HP and straight line statistics to see how only a little more power in a better prepared chassis can also make for a great driving experience.

The Boss's 1969 predecessor was in much the same situation. We all knew about it back then, and where it was used. But most of the guys still favored cars with at least 383's, 390's, or 396's under the hood.

Norm
Well said Norm as obviously you also have had the opportunity to wring out these cool live axle Boss 302's with these cars having terrific braking, handling and acceleration and really appreciated the terrific exhaust note of the Coyote engine coming from the side exhaust at 7500 RPM especially when the baffles plates had been removed.

We have to remember that "Project 747" started in late 2009 with the first Pilot Production cars coming out in the Fall of 2010 which is almost 10 years ago now.:clap:

As far as the block cars back in the day you got them all covered with the Ford, Mopar and GM big block engines!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
So six years of the current GT350 plus two years of the Boss 302 is too much recent attention to the road course side for you?

What's the matter, FE-engined trims of the 1960's, the 429's of the early 1970's, plus the drag racing emphasis given to the Fox, SN95, and Terminator cars, and the three most recent GT500's isn't enough attention to the drag racing side for you? Crybaby.

As to the FPC 5.2 . . . a neat try with too much displacement and too much attention paid to keep it from sounding the way a true FPC V8 is supposed to sound.

Basically, there's already too much musclecar/drag-race influence in the very engine you're accusing of not being drag-racy enough.

Norm
The GT500 is touted as a track car by Ford.
As for drag racing....it's a major flop.
The only thing that bails it out at the strip is how much power it makes.

It's Venom does not kill Demons or Red Eyes.

Track cars are getting played out.....this is why you see so many people taking them to
a drag strip vs a road course.

Just stating obvious facts......sorry I struck a nerve in your rearend.

LOL!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Understand your decision but if you can find a low mileage 2012/2013 Boss 302 with the Laguna Seca model the ultimate to purchase I suggest that you will be very impressed with this car.

Quad exhaust, great engine, TracKey, terrific looks and probably the best handling live axle Mustang ever they are just a blast to drive.

I have a number of close car buddies mostly in the S.E. with all of them having both 2nd generation Boss 302's and and GT350R's with everyone of them saying exactly the same as me and is that they enjoy driving their Boss cars just as much as driving their GT350R's.

:)
There was a '13 LS for sale last winter with about 100,000 miles on it that I really wanted, but I acted too slowly. That car would have been perfect for me. I don't like paying extra for a car that hasn't been driven. Some low miles Bosses are priced really high.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Well said Norm as obviously you also have had the opportunity to wring out these cool live axle Boss 302's with these cars having terrific braking, handling and acceleration and really appreciated the terrific exhaust note of the Coyote engine coming from the side exhaust at 7500 RPM especially when the baffles plates had been removed.

We have to remember that "Project 747" started in late 2009 with the first Pilot Production cars coming out in the Fall of 2010 which is almost 10 years ago now.:clap:

I'm afraid that my driving resume doesn't yet include seat time in a Boss. But chassis-wise I think I've got a pretty good idea where it stands, and I've driven a few cars that had 7500 rpm capable engines under the hood (I think the F430 exotic-car experience sits at the top of my experience there).

As far as the block cars back in the day you got them all covered with the Ford, Mopar and GM big block engines!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Heh . . . old enough to have been there, young enough to still remember most of it :sunglasses:

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The only thing that bails it out at the strip is how much power it makes.

It's Venom does not kill Demons or Red Eyes.

Track cars are getting played out.....this is why you see so many people taking them to
a drag strip vs a road course.

Just stating obvious facts......sorry I struck a nerve in your rearend.

LOL!
You give yourself way too much credit. Road course guys have been getting the short end of the stick for decades, and you're whining about barely a handful of years where your sport didn't get top billing at the new car level. Sheesh, learn to live and let live.

Maybe you didn't notice, but Ford backed way off on their support for drag racing a few years back. Who was that top-name Ford driver who went straight over to Chevy as a result . . . wasn't it John Force? He's still with Chevy, right?

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Means you'll have to go back and sort things out to your satisfaction on your own. Kind of like what us with 'regular GT Mustangs' had to do to get their cars' road course capabilities up to where we knew they could have been.

How sad (cue the violin section).

Norm

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
maybe they'll have an option to put the tremec in the GT.

that'll definitely make me switch to a newer one.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
You transposed a couple of numbers...

It’ll be the Boss 315, with a naturally aspirated CPC w the Tremec 3160 6 speed :like:
Maybe I did but when I was speaking of the Boss 351 I personally don't see Ford building an engine of that size and when I was speaking of the 315 C.I. engine I was speaking of our present 5.2 L FPC engine in the GT350/R's.

:beer:

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
In this day and age , I think Ford could get by with calling a Mustang a Boss 351 even if it had only 315 cubes. I am sure the purists would create a lot of attention by pointing out the Boss 351 only had 315 cubes. We the buyers would just smile at the attention generated by the discrepancy in nomenclature.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Maybe I did but when I was speaking of the Boss 351 I personally don't see Ford building an engine of that size and when I was speaking of the 315 C.I. engine I was speaking of our present 5.2 L FPC engine in the GT350/R's.

:beer:
Thanks for that!
Lame attempt at humor with 351 vs 315...

On a serious note, I think Ford will try to maximize what’s on the shelf. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a naturally aspirated CPC using the 5.2 block post FPC..

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Understand your decision but if you can find a low mileage 2012/2013 Boss 302 with the Laguna Seca model the ultimate to purchase I suggest that you will be very impressed with this car.

Quad exhaust, great engine, TracKey, terrific looks and probably the best handling live axle Mustang ever they are just a blast to drive.

I have a number of close car buddies mostly in the S.E. with all of them having both 2nd generation Boss 302's and and GT350R's with everyone of them saying exactly the same as me and is that they enjoy driving their Boss cars just as much as driving their GT350R's.

:)
Here, here :)

Definitely I agree with Harry. The best part is that both the R and the Boss entertain you in totally different ways.

@Hack it is never too late. I picked my very low mileage 2012 Boss late last year and have been enjoying it so far.
IMG_0333.jpeg

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Here, here :)

Definitely I agree with Harry. The best part is that both the R and the Boss entertain you in totally different ways.

@Hack it is never too late. I picked my very low mileage 2012 Boss late last year and have been enjoying it so far.
IMG_0333.jpeg
Florian, love those Kona Blue Boss 302's and looking forward to your feedback after you possibly go with a 1 piece aluminum or CF drive shaft as I noticed a distinct difference on the two of my cars that I converted over.

Under normal acceleration there was not much to feel but under hard acceleration I could feel the much improved smoothness of the drive train with the one piece CF drive shaft compared to the steel 2 piece unit and of course eliminating some substantial weight from the drive line certainly doesn't hurt either.

I remember looking at the weight ballast used on the 2 piece OEM unit and if I recall it was ~20# therefore that alone is a lot of rotating weight mass which will be eliminated.

On another note I had an individual approach me about 4 weeks ago as he was selling his 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca and only had 54 miles on this car and still on the MSO.

The price was $42,500 and passed on it but whoever ended up with that car was very lucky as came with all provenance with my only concern being the Pirelli P Zero Corsa's having some tire fatigue.

As you have proven there are still a lot of hidden gems out there for some of us to uncover.

Can't wait to get a ride in your new Boss 302 especially after you are done with some of the cool upgrades!

BTW, Happy 56th Birthday Mustang!!:beer:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
my only concern being the Pirelli P Zero Corsa's having some tire fatigue.
Why would tires matter? They're trash so would of course be replaced. Is there some nuance I'm missing?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Why would tires matter? They're trash so would of course be replaced. Is there some nuance I'm missing?
Not sure I follow you therefore please explain?
Sponsored