300A "drag" mode tune

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin Cuckold
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey guys - I'm getting my Rev-X tuner this week, JLT intake, X-pipe and will be looking to get the car tuned on E85/flex fuel.

I had no idea that drag mode made a big difference in a stock car, which I hear it does. Once you tune the car on E85, does this negate the need for drag mode?

VMP has a E85 tune on a 300A car on stock 18's run 11.62 - so I'm hoping that the tuning can take car of the TQ management and raise my tranny shift points.
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
My recommendation is have them make your S sport the “drag mode“ in automatic. That way the car drives/behaves fairly stock in D drive. But, at any time, you can pull back for drag mode. Do you smell what I’m cooking? ;).

I have had mine this way for 10k miles. Easy to use. You will love the low end torque pick up on E85.

Another benefit imo to a tuned 300a car is your can unplug the nannies at airbox and still have drag mode in sport. fyi...

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
If it makes a difference ? Holy hell it does, so much that i lost control today doing some test. 180 degrees and i managed to save it but it got close to an accident
I am currently testing all the different modes aswell (traction on or off) and (esp on or off)

Today i turned down everything 100%, drag strip mode. Hell broke loose on 1-2 shift the car 180 degrees in a blink of an eye at WOT. Just unuseable in the street if you want my tought
Im running the full sport michelin so those tires hook up fairly great in most of the situation, but the drag strip mode shift so agressive it just shocks the whole vehicle you can feel the rear-end swinging on each upshift

My favorite drive mode for the street in sport+, it blipshift aswell coming to redlights. 50/50 to me
Drag strip is like normal mode, but only when your WIDE OPEN THROTTLE the transmission just get into beast mode and sends it all the pressure

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
The tuners that know their stuff can definetly tweak your 10r80 to behavior like drag strip mode yes, but if you don't have drive mode select switch you might find it agressive for the street
Hoping you have great rubber on those rims to hold the rear-end straight line, because it really shocks the car on each upshift

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
If it makes a difference ? Holy hell it does, so much that i lost control today doing some test. 180 degrees and i managed to save it but it got close to an accident
I am currently testing all the different modes aswell (traction on or off) and (esp on or off)

Today i turned down everything 100%, drag strip mode. Hell broke loose on 1-2 shift the car 180 degrees in a blink of an eye at WOT. Just unuseable in the street if you want my tought
Im running the full sport michelin so those tires hook up fairly great in most of the situation, but the drag strip mode shift so agressive it just shocks the whole vehicle you can feel the rear-end swinging on each upshift

My favorite drive mode for the street in sport+, it blipshift aswell coming to redlights. 50/50 to me
Drag strip is like normal mode, but only when your WIDE OPEN THROTTLE the transmission just get into beast mode and sends it all the pressure
Did you go forced induction?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby_Ruby19

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin Cuckold
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My recommendation is have them make your S sport the “drag mode“ in automatic. That way the car drives/behaves fairly stock in D drive. But, at any time, you can pull back for drag mode. Do you smell what I’m cooking? ;).

I have had mine this way for 10k miles. Easy to use. You will love the low end torque pick up on E85.

Another benefit imo to a tuned 300a car is your can unplug the nannies at airbox and still have drag mode in sport. fyi...

That's interesting, I heard doing the old "unplug" trick works to get the TQ management to go away.

My other question is if I have it tuned like your saying, will there always be some power limiting, or does the tune take care of it.

I love the idea of pulling the shifter to sport to change the behavior of the car, just never thought about how it's done in tuning. I would think they'd have some issues getting the car to switch back and forth between sport and normal.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Did you go forced induction?
Nope, 2018 a10 with PP1 running drag strip mode, but i had everything off (traction and stability)
No way it will hook up in the street using drag mode and all off, you really need to be careful not much room for mistake

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Nope, 2018 a10 with PP1 running drag strip mode, but i had everything off (traction and stability)
No way it will hook up in the street using drag mode and all off, you really need to be careful not much room for mistake
You need to do some suspension mods

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
That's interesting, I heard doing the old "unplug" trick works to get the TQ management to go away.

My other question is if I have it tuned like your saying, will there always be some power limiting, or does the tune take care of it.

I love the idea of pulling the shifter to sport to change the behavior of the car, just never thought about how it's done in tuning. I would think they'd have some issues getting the car to switch back and forth between sport and normal.
Some tuners just apply the tune in drive and lock out the higher gears. This kinda forces you to drive in sport with the paddles. No issues going back between d and s.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Some tuners just apply the tune in drive and lock out the higher gears. This kinda forces you to drive in sport with the paddles. No issues going back between d and s.
I honestly do not like normal drive at all. I have the drive modes and I always put my selector in S position or drive mode in track.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Lund. I didnt like the factory and dont care for lunds either in daily driving.
Great tune, but again it forces you out of using Drive. Everyone I have known with Lund or PBD tune use sport for daily. lol.

There is a shit ton of limiters in the a10 past 6th gear to protect the transmission. Mine will rock drag mode past 6th. ;).

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I can't imagine the shifts being more violent than a Lund tune. I can hook up on all seasons. Traction control all the way off and pedal to the metal. I'll get some wheelspin on the 1-2 shift but I can stay in it.

Should be able to perform better than that. I'd look into your setup something doesn't sound quite right.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I can't imagine the shifts being more violent than a Lund tune. I can hook up on all seasons. Traction control all the way off and pedal to the metal. I'll get some wheelspin on the 1-2 shift but I can stay in it.

Should be able to perform better than that. I'd look into your setup something doesn't sound quite right.
18 w/ a10 is a whole different animal compared to 15 a6 in the first 3 gears.
Sponsored