Sponsored

Who makes a non standard reverse lockout for the S550 so we can use other shift knobs??

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I was wondering if anyone makes a different reverse lockout actuator that is different from the stock, Steeda or Barton lever?

I am wondering if they just got rid of that top part that goes into the knob that is above the lever ring, you might be able to use any 12mm x 1.25 knob.

Something like this but flat across the top:

What does that part that goes into the knob do?

BaRTON LOCKOUT WIHTOUT TOP.jpg
Sponsored

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
Raceseng. But it only works with their knobs.

Don

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Raceseng. But it only works with their knobs.

Don
It is different but it still needs a hole in the knob and has a top part that goes into the knob.

What they did was make the lockout proprietary to force you to only buy their knobs.

What I would like is a lockout that allows us to use a universal knob on the top.

I have seen these ā€˜top hatā€™ that sits under the universal knob but it looks ridiculous. Often they look like a ball sitting on an oversized pedestal.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Why not disable or remove the reverse lockout?

The Focus Community figured a way to do it, so there must be a way to do it on the S550:

https://www.focusfanatics.com/threads/remove-reverse-lock-out.107409/

Yes, the transmissions are not even close to being similar but Iā€™m sure someone can get rid of the RO on an S550 so it opens up the possibility of having more shifter accessory options...

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Why not disable or remove the reverse lockout?
Because shifting into reverse when not stopped, or close to it, is a great way to slowly destroy your transmission? :idea:

With the MT-82 there is nothing to stop that from happening except the white plastic lockout under the inner boot. No spring, no detent, nothing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thanks guys for the ideas

I heard today that the Subaru STI uses a reverse lockout and a knob that is threaded the same as ours.

I wonder if using the Raceseng lockout will allow you to use STI knobs? It is narrower than ours. If anyone has a Raceseng lockout, could you post the dimensions of the part that slides into the knob?
Thanks

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I originally posted in my other thread that the top of the reverse lockout was used to stop upward travel of the lockout release. This is incorrect. Today, I removed the knob and lifted the lockout and it stopped on its own. Technically that means there might be no purpose other than aesthetics for the piece above the flange. We might be able to make a piece without it and just leave a gap between the knob and the flange like I posted in the first post.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I am confused. What knob do you want to use..?

Why do you think one similar doesn't exist for the Mustang. Must be over 40 diff knobs available.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
You also might consider a short shifter to have it sitting low.
This as a Boomba short shifter with a stainless WCLathewerks knob.
34926061154_9a1247b069_c.jpg
20170124_121203 by chefjpd, on Flickr

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I am confused. What knob do you want to use..?

Why do you think one similar doesn't exist for the Mustang. Must be over 40 diff knobs available.
^^^ This. Probably more than 40.

Personally I found a short shifter not to my liking. The OEM shifter is short enough for me, and one of the best I've ever had in over 40 years of driving and racing manuals.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
What is my goal?

I would love to have a reverse lockout that doesn't need to go into the knob. This way, all those universal knobs could be used.

Why do I want a universal knob?
Basically, there are hardly any knobs that are leather covered. Everything is either plastic or billet. Billet gets too hot or too cold during the extreme months and some plastic is not weighted enough. The solution many do is wear a leather glove until the knob acclimates. Not a fan of wearing gloves in hot weather.

some examples are:

momo-anatomico-shift-knob-c.png

momo-race-airleather-shift-knob.png

ra131_1.jpg

gs2b-3_1.jpg

These are just examples. Some are not an option due to their length. Just posted a few to give everyone an idea. Nothing like these is offered for the Mustang.

John (Chef jpd),
Thank you for the offer. I may just have to do a road trip and stop by to pick the collar up. It may be my only solution. The only reason I am not a huge fan of it is that it makes it look like the knob is sitting on a pedestal and it moves the lockout father away. I do not mind the current distance. Making it further for me could be uncomfortable. Not necessarily a deal breaker but something to consider. Also, some universal knobs already have a teardrop shape and that already moves the lockout farther away.

Frank

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering if anyone makes a different reverse lockout actuator that is different from the stock, Steeda or Barton lever?

I am wondering if they just got rid of that top part that goes into the knob that is above the lever ring, you might be able to use any 12mm x 1.25 knob.

Something like this but flat across the top:

What does that part that goes into the knob do?

BaRTON LOCKOUT WIHTOUT TOP.jpg
Put an MGW in it and you no longer have the lockout collar.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
What is my goal?

I would love to have a reverse lockout that doesn't need to go into the knob. This way, all those universal knobs could be used.

Why do I want a universal knob?
Basically, there are hardly any knobs that are leather covered. Everything is either plastic or billet. Billet gets too hot or too cold during the extreme months and some plastic is not weighted enough. The solution many do is wear a leather glove until the knob acclimates. Not a fan of wearing gloves in hot weather.

some examples are:

These are just examples. Some are not an option due to their length. Just posted a few to give everyone an idea. Nothing like these is offered for the Mustang.

John (Chef jpd),
Thank you for the offer. I may just have to do a road trip and stop by to pick the collar up. It may be my only solution. The only reason I am not a huge fan of it is that it makes it look like the knob is sitting on a pedestal and it moves the lockout father away. I do not mind the current distance. Making it further for me could be uncomfortable. Not necessarily a deal breaker but something to consider. Also, some universal knobs already have a teardrop shape and that already moves the lockout farther away.

Frank
You are not looking hard enough.
ANy company that makes a good knob, will have a Mustang version too..

https://www.americanmuscle.com/momo-usa-nero-shift-knob-leather-7914.html#product_pics-3
https://www.americanmuscle.com/momo-usa-combat-evo-shift-knob-carbon-7914.html#product_pics-4

etc...
Sponsored