Dear Mustang Tire Snobs.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
IM just gonna figure you are trolling at this point but just incase. Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, Mercedes, McLaren and Porsche. all come with pzero factory installed and you need to look up Mustang GT lateral G thresholds before you say .9 is nothing. Its not opinion its fact so....
The P Zero's that most of these cars are running are not the same as our OEM Mustangs are. Same name different tire. just sayin'. Also .9g doesn't mean a thing when your trying to stop. It's just one minor spec of tire performance.
Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Kind of funny this topic comes up, the other day in the E39 M5 owners group I was asking some why they were running mayrun tires on their m5, and a wave of people chimed in proudly saying they run nankangs.

I have Pilot 4S' on my M5 and my Mustang, I'd have em on my 04 Marauder to if they made a size that fit the rear, instead both Marauders have Nittos (NT555's on the 03 which are due to be replaced and NT555G2's on the 04).

Realistically I don't see an issue with someone choosing to run a Nitto or Firestone or Pirelli on the street over the forum favorite Pilots, at least you know you're buying a safely constructed product from a well established manufacturer.

I do however question people who buy performance cars and put Taiwanese or Chinese tires on, that is just a perfect case of "can't really afford the car".

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I do however question people who buy performance cars and put Taiwanese or Chinese tires on
I would hazard a guess these people roast their tires on a regular basis and do other kinds of "street stunts" where shelling out $400 per would break their bank account. $100 tires can be trashed for the LULZ and it's worth it.

Cooper RS3 are made in China, just saying.
There are plenty of very good $200-250 tires out there.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I would hazard a guess these people roast their tires on a regular basis and do other kinds of "street stunts" where shelling out $400 per would break their bank account. $100 tires can be trashed for the LULZ and it's worth it.
That is a small margin, some people are just cheap. I know a few people who run 22" + wheels on cars then go out and buy triangle tires to wrap them in.

Cooper RS3 are made in China, just saying.
Cooper is at least a US company which should have some sort of QC on its products. It should be a bit more trust worthy than a gas station tire that looks like a 1970's snow tire and proudly advertises "STEEL BELTED RADIAL" on the sidewall.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
OK, first off why do you give a shit about what anyone says? What you have is none of their business and vice versa.

Now I'll admit to being somewhat of a tire snob. My dad was a stickler for good tires and I was raised to only buy the best I could afford. As was said earlier your tires are the only part of your car that touches the pavement. This has nothing to do with going to the track. Good tires can save your ass in day to day driving at any speed. A couple of extra feet of stopping distance can mean all the difference in the world.

Now you already said you were not talking about $100 a set bargain store specials so we'll just stick with top names. The difference between 1st and 2nd tier tires is not much. So if it comes down to $100 bucks or so to go from Firestone, General, or BF Goodrich (all excellent tires by the way) to Michelins (my favorite) or Conti i wouldn't think twice about it. What are we talking about, a dollar a day for a year.

So just MHO. Everyone has theirs and is entitled to them. Just remember your lives depend on your tires. What's that worth?
Well for one I don't really care what they think Im just tired of I want to go enjoy a car meet and with in 5 mins here comes the damn tire conversation again...and then the eye rolls when I say I don't use Michelin tires.

As for the safety argument.. What did we all do before ps4 and cup2 tires? I could hardly get to work cause of all the accidents and pile ups from all the people not using michelin tires. Sure it can be argued that tires save a foot or two in braking. But I can promise you the pads. calipers. driver skill and overall fitness of the car mean more.

But as usually in a forum we are getting off track here I'm not here to debate tires. My point is the attitudes of the tire snobs towards others. Buy what ya want I don't care. But stop being such jerks to others who don't feel the need to empty their wallets on every purchase.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
with in 5 mins here comes the damn tire conversation again...and then the eye rolls when I say I don't use Michelin tires.
you need better friends. Or better car meets. Or here's a thought - take the time spent yakking in a parking lot (regardless of feeling small) and go drive the damn car in the fabulous hills and twisty roads you have in every compass direction?

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
you need better friends. Or better car meets. Or here's a thought - take the time spent yakking in a parking lot (regardless of feeling small) and go drive the damn car in the fabulous hills and twisty roads you have in every compass direction?
Oh we drive plenty and meets are part of car culture. Was the insult necessary? This is the type of snob attitude im talking about. I don't feel small, apparently the others do, who have to brag about tires to show they are somebody.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I read this quickly and out of context. For some reason I thought you went on cruises and talked about tires with people. :facepalm:

3mj7mc.jpg
View attachment 428731
LOL no, I want to go on cruises and meets and NOT talk about tires every 5 seconds....Its like some weird car guy stuff they have to start on tires to prove they are a car guy or something.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I’m adding these soon to replace my rear PS4’s. Michelin’s cannot hold the power way into 3rd. ;).
520EA8A0-33AF-4BF9-9119-8C3E5F7A13BA.png

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
PZeros gave excellent grip up until about 10k then they went to shit with massive wheel hop. Replaced with Dws 6 and they grip very very well with an extra 2 psi for the softer sidewalls. My summer wheel/tire setup is the G2s albeit on fatter wheels but they are most excellent in the turns.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You're right that a decent quality tire will hold decent grip and stop decently. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are great tires that hold great grip and great stopping power for a street tire. You're not likely to tell much of a difference at 6/10ths or somewhat spirited street driving between a decent tire and a PS4S. At higher than that, I'd think you'd start to notice the advantages of the better tire. Noise, turn-in, etc., you may be able to tell a difference without even pushing it. I bought the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for my winter tires (PS4S for summer) this year because I wanted the best all season tire and could afford it. That said, I also wanted as wide a tire contact patch as I could get in 275 width, and they are wider than the competitors. For example, the tread width of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for a 275/40/R19 is 10.1". The Contintenal extreme all seasons in the same size have a tread width of 9.4", and the Yokohama Advan Sport are 9.0". Dunlop Signature A/S are 9.1", BFGoodrich Comp A/S are 9.6", Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS are 9.3". Pirelli P Zero Plus A/S+ are 8.9". The list goes on and none have a wider tread width than the Michelin. Some of the those tires are within $40 of the Michelin, too.

Since I will only use the A/S 3+ about 6 months out of the year, and don't do burnouts, etc., they should easily last me 6 or 7 years. 4 tires at $40 more than the others is $160 spread out over 6 or 7 years. That's like an extra $2 per month spread out, which is negligible, and worth it to me for the better tire.

Anyway, I won't look down on anyone who saved money and put decent tires on their car, to each their own.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
PZeros gave excellent grip up until about 10k then they went to shit with massive wheel hop. Replaced with Dws 6 and they grip very very well with an extra 2 psi for the softer sidewalls. My summer wheel/tire setup is the G2s albeit on fatter wheels but they are most excellent in the turns.
DWS 06s here. Had 'em on my Mazda, as well. Good tread life and very good wet & dry grip.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Stupid people say stupid things. Calling people snobs for wanting quality. Is well.......childish. Didn’t your daddy ever tell you. You get what you pay for?:facepalm:
Sponsored