Sponsored

Dear Mustang Tire Snobs.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
There are other good tires out there other than going broke buying Michelin ps4 or cup2 tires. Not everyone is or inspires to be a racecar driver. And for daily driving around town at speeds less than 50 MPH 90% of the time big fancy expensive tires are not needed. I say this cause more then once, basically every car meet, "what tires you got?" I honestly don't care. I think they are 297 r57/27 ws/400s rated for light speed...its like they are speaking code. But the second I don't say I have one of the 2 most expensive consumer tires I get shunned like I just said I have ebola. Guess what I have pzero nero tires I paid 150 each for and guess what they hold a corner, I don't lose traction and I don't have wheel hop. and they do just fine in freezing weather. Matter of fact i go on cruises with people who have the big fancy tires and guess what I keep up just fine and don't lose traction. I guess I get tired of the if you don't buy the most expensive of whatever it is elitism in these crowds, you are nothing. I mean yeah a good name brand tire, I wouldn't buy a walmart rabbit brand made by zippo tires. But perilli , firestone, and any other big brand company tires are just fine as long as proper tire for environment.

I say well I Have good tires and they are a 3rd the price... Then I get the whole well safety and blah blah blah blah... yeah cause the news and car scene are just full of people who just wreck the second they drive anything not made by Michelin. It's Not just tires. What gas you use/ oil/ if you don't use mobile 1 and top tier 93 ultra made of gold gas you are sent to the other side of the parking lot to think about your choices. just gets old...rant over LOL.
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
At 11K miles on my original Pirelli P-Zero Y-rated tires showing little or no wear, I'm nowhere near needing new tires. I would suggest getting a tire quote from your favorite Ford dealer. While recently getting my 10K service, I scored a set of 4 tires for my son's Silverado (265/65/R18) for under $700 OTD. These were 65,000 mile Goodyears.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I used to know nothing about tires aside from what size was needed for the wheels I was using and the speed rating.

I am now informed but not on the bandwagon of “tire elite”. Just glad I know I won’t ever end up with a pair of all seasons or crap brand tires because I wasn’t aware.

That being said, I love my Indy 500’s. My P-Zeros were cooked at 10k on the rear and the Indy’s at 10k have worn well.

Reactions: Dru

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I used to know nothing about tires aside from what size was needed for the wheels I was using and the speed rating.

I am now informed but not on the bandwagon of “tire elite”. Just glad I know I won’t ever end up with a pair of all seasons or crap brand tires because I wasn’t aware.

That being said, I love my Indy 500’s. My P-Zeros were cooked at 10k on the rear and the Indy’s at 10k have worn well.
I think my car came with indy tires I hear they are decent as well. I sold them with the wheels though.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Good job being cheap on the only thing that connects the car to the road. Really, good work! It never ceases to amaze me how people will spend thousands on power, suspension, looks mods but when it comes to the one thing that makes the biggest difference in performance, it's cheap out time. Congrats.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Good job being cheap on the only thing that connects the car to the road. Really, good work! It never ceases to amaze me how people will spend thousands on power, suspension, looks mods but when it comes to the one thing that makes the biggest difference in performance, it's cheap out time. Congrats.
Sounds like a Michelin buyer. Miss the part where I can do the same as you in my tires? I hold .7 to .9 Gs all the time. So how's that cheap? Just cause you spent the most does not mean you bought the best. Higher price does not equate to better. Pirelli nero tires are on just about every super car so not sure where you are getting Im cheaping out. This is the elities attitude im talking about.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It really comes down to if you intend to track or not. I wouldn't be amazed if most people that never go to a drag strip or autocross will never notice if they have a top end tire or mid-grade. Long as they are comfortable at 85-90 and last a while, that's all most care about or even need.

That said I'd not trust a CHEAP tire.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
It really comes down to if you intend to track or not. I wouldn't be amazed if most people that never go to a drag strip or autocross will never notice if they have a top end tire or mid-grade. Long as they are comfortable at 85-90 and last a while, that's all most care about or even need.

That said I'd not trust a CHEAP tire.
Exactly. Unless you are on a track and racing then the cup2 and ps4 are over kill for roads. IM not saying go buy a cheap tire Im saying there are plenty of good cheaper tires then ps4 or cup2 for daily use.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
. Pirelli nero tires are on just about every super car
No, no they're not. :cwl::cwl:

I had them as the oem tires with the car. They were very meh. Garbage in the rain and snow, nothing special at all in the dry. They were pretty quiet and comfortable, but overall unremarkable. They're expensive for their performance.

Just because there are lots of very average tires out there that do perfectly well at soccer mom duty doesn't mean they are great. 0.9g is nothing to get excited about, cupcake.
FB_IMG_1579382645874.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of other great tires. FYI I do not own Michelins. I've had them, and they are extremely good. Firestone Indy 500s are excellent summer tires that are well priced. BFG comp 2 AS are great AS tires that are not michelins. The point remains: there's plenty of things a great tire offers that an average tire doesn't, and if you don't drive the car hard enough to see them, why own a Mustang?

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
No, no they're not. :cwl::cwl:

I had them as the oem tires with the car. They were very meh. Garbage in the rain and snow, nothing special at all in the dry. They were pretty quiet and comfortable, but overall unremarkable. They're expensive for their performance.

Just because there are lots of very average tires out there that do perfectly well at soccer mom duty doesn't mean they are great. 0.9g is nothing to get excited about, cupcake.
FB_IMG_1579382645874.jpg
IM just gonna figure you are trolling at this point but just incase. Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, Mercedes, McLaren and Porsche. all come with pzero factory installed and you need to look up Mustang GT lateral G thresholds before you say .9 is nothing. Its not opinion its fact so....

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
There are a lot of other great tires. FYI I do not own Michelins. I've had them, and they are extremely good. Firestone Indy 500s are excellent summer tires that are well priced. BFG comp 2 AS are great AS tires that are not michelins. The point remains: there's plenty of things a great tire offers that an average tire doesn't, and if you don't drive the car hard enough to see them, why own a Mustang?
That's like 90% of Mustang owners. Without them there just wouldn't be a Mustang at all.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OK, first off why do you give a shit about what anyone says? What you have is none of their business and vice versa.

Now I'll admit to being somewhat of a tire snob. My dad was a stickler for good tires and I was raised to only buy the best I could afford. As was said earlier your tires are the only part of your car that touches the pavement. This has nothing to do with going to the track. Good tires can save your ass in day to day driving at any speed. A couple of extra feet of stopping distance can mean all the difference in the world.

Now you already said you were not talking about $100 a set bargain store specials so we'll just stick with top names. The difference between 1st and 2nd tier tires is not much. So if it comes down to $100 bucks or so to go from Firestone, General, or BF Goodrich (all excellent tires by the way) to Michelins (my favorite) or Conti i wouldn't think twice about it. What are we talking about, a dollar a day for a year.

So just MHO. Everyone has theirs and is entitled to them. Just remember your lives depend on your tires. What's that worth?
Sponsored