Sponsored

Just Comfort

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
i just wish there was a heater in the shifter knob like in the steering wheel. my butt is all toasty, left hand warm, feet get warmed via the air....and yet my right hand is freezing...
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Wylie C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
I was born and raised in Schenectady N Y. Moved south as soon as I was old enough. We had winter temps of -20 with out wind chill and the only tires we changed were the rear where we put snow tires. The front tires were on year round. I don't understand the cold weather will ruin your tires bit. The tread pattern may not be worth a darn in snowy and icy conditions but the temperature will not do anything to the tires.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I was born and raised in Schenectady N Y. Moved south as soon as I was old enough. We had winter temps of -20 with out wind chill and the only tires we changed were the rear where we put snow tires. The front tires were on year round. I don't understand the cold weather will ruin your tires bit. The tread pattern may not be worth a darn in snowy and icy conditions but the temperature will not do anything to the tires.
Sorry Guy, but is just plain wrong for summer tires. Ask the person who had to replace $1200 worth of new tires with cracked sidewalls (not me :)).
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/performance-tires-crack-winter-cracking/index.htm

rsTOMod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I think what folks are referring to is explained by tire manufacturers, tire rack, etc. in articles such as those listed below. The issue is that "back in the day" most (if not all) OEM tires were effectively all season, but with the creation of "summer only" performance tires the compounds changed, and that's where the risk is of keeping those below ~ 40F come into play. As such "the temperature will not do anything to the tires" is no longer true.

As explained in this tirerack article https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273 : "As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. ... If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks."

Additional reference from the manufacturer's pages are also out there, such as this one from Continental https://www.continental-tires.com/c...fitting/changing-tires/summer-tires-in-winter : "The tire loses its elasticity and may crack. There's a risk of chipping of the overly stiff thread block. Chipped and cracked tires are not safe to drive on and must be replaced."

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Good daily driver? Sure, I agree with that.

In bad weather? Hell no! It's a fast car with no ground clearance.
They have plenty of ground-clearance, and just because a car is fast/powerful, doesn't mean you have to drive it fast. The car was perfect driving home in the snow, although the roads were just wet at the time.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I think what folks are referring to is explained by tire manufacturers, tire rack, etc. in articles such as those listed below. The issue is that "back in the day" most (if not all) OEM tires were effectively all season, but with the creation of "summer only" performance tires the compounds changed, and that's where the risk is of keeping those below ~ 40F come into play. As such "the temperature will not do anything to the tires" is no longer true.

As explained in this tirerack article https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273 : "As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. ... If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks."

Additional reference from the manufacturer's pages are also out there, such as this one from Continental https://www.continental-tires.com/c...fitting/changing-tires/summer-tires-in-winter : "The tire loses its elasticity and may crack. There's a risk of chipping of the overly stiff thread block. Chipped and cracked tires are not safe to drive on and must be replaced."
Those "articles" are really legal disclaimers. Just liability concerns. Because morons will attempt to drive just as fast in colder temps as they do when it's warm. Could you chunk/ruin/destroy Summer Only tires in the cold? Sure, but only if you're ripping around like a moron.

And tires have come a long, long way since the 2011 Brembo cars debuted with those hilariously crappy (although good in their day) Pirelli P-Zero tires.

I'm not trying to say the the Michelin MPS4s are winter/all-season tires for those that live in areas that see real winters, but they will see you home if you get caught in light snow or any rain.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Don't bring that mustang up to Michigan and try to drive that around where I live (out in the country) after a fresh round of snow. You won't make it out of my driveway. I see fools all the time driving around in them (or camaro's\vette's etc) only to get stuck and clog up roadways. And the beating it will take from the pot holes and salt eating at it's body. Buy a $5k truck as a second car and beat the shit out of it.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Don't bring that mustang up to Michigan and try to drive that around where I live (out in the country) after a fresh round of snow. You won't make it out of my driveway. I see fools all the time driving around in them (or camaro's\vette's etc) only to get stuck and clog up roadways. And the beating it will take from the pot holes and salt eating at it's body. Buy a $5k truck as a second car and beat the shit out of it.
I lived in Michigan most of my life, I know.

I did drive my 2005 GT year 'round in S.W. Michigan, and had to get mud & snow tires. Those tires made that car go anywhere in any conditions, truly amazing.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I lived in Michigan most of my life, I know.

I did drive my 2005 GT year 'round in S.W. Michigan, and had to get mud & snow tires. Those tires made that car go anywhere in any conditions, truly amazing.
Oh I've driven multiple sports cars year round going back to the early 90's. I'm too old for that now. Especially when old trucks or 4x4 suv's are so cheap.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
They have plenty of ground-clearance, and just because a car is fast/powerful, doesn't mean you have to drive it fast. The car was perfect driving home in the snow, although the roads were just wet at the time.
Try driving a car with 6 inches of ground clearance in a area where it snowed 10 + inches and get back to me ... lol

But yes these cars are nice daily drivers and then some. Drove my car to Florida and back 2700 miles recently and what a nice ride it was. Would have enjoyed it more if it wasn’t for that stretch from NY to Baltimore where it’s bumper to bumper traffic at 80 mph and people tailgating in the middle lanes ugh

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Try driving a car with 6 inches of ground clearance in a area where it snowed 10 + inches and get back to me ... lol

But yes these cars are nice daily drivers and then some. Drove my car to Florida and back 2700 miles recently and what a nice ride it was. Would have enjoyed it more if it wasn’t for that stretch from NY to Baltimore where it’s bumper to bumper traffic at 80 mph and people tailgating in the middle lanes ugh
Tundra, ram and the raptor are only trucks listed that have over 10" ground clearance so based on your hypothetical situation unless you're rocking one of those trucks, you have insufficient clearance. And I'd wager most models of what passes for SUV these days are 6" or less.
I'd also think if living somewhere with those conditions on a regular basis a second car or winter tires would be necessary. Not to mention places that get that kinds snow would likely be plowing, right? That's how Maryland was, as soon as snow was incoming they'd post up plows waiting and ready to go. I think what most of us are trying to say is it's not the end all be all that a lot of people here claim it is. There's countless threads of people complaining about poor traction in anything outside of standard weather conditions. Meanwhile those of us who daily our cars seem to have no issues in cold or wet conditions. I've logged 60k miles in 2.5 years and 3 winters all on summer tires and have never once felt remotely unsafe
Sponsored