Sponsored

Just Comfort

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Tundra, ram and the raptor are only trucks listed that have over 10" ground clearance so based on your hypothetical situation unless you're rocking one of those trucks, you have insufficient clearance. And I'd wager most models of what passes for SUV these days are 6" or less.
I'd also think if living somewhere with those conditions on a regular basis a second car or winter tires would be necessary. Not to mention places that get that kinds snow would likely be plowing, right? That's how Maryland was, as soon as snow was incoming they'd post up plows waiting and ready to go. I think what most of us are trying to say is it's not the end all be all that a lot of people here claim it is. There's countless threads of people complaining about poor traction in anything outside of standard weather conditions. Meanwhile those of us who daily our cars seem to have no issues in cold or wet conditions. I've logged 60k miles in 2.5 years and 3 winters all on summer tires and have never once felt remotely unsafe

Those trucks you listed are 4x4’s

Most models of SUV’s are not under 6 inches today. Don’t be silly.

I think my point was that these cars are not good in big snow storm. When we get snow around here you can only drive where the plow guy goes. If your on a back road that hasn’t been plowed, your screwed in a Mustang and most cars for that matter.

I’ve driven my Mustang a fair amount in the snow the 1st year I had it and it did pretty well with Blizzaks but no way can it do a significant snow storm.
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

Most models of SUV’s are not under 6 inches today. Don’t be silly.

I think my point was that these cars are not good in big snow storm. When we get snow around here you can only drive where the plow guy goes. If your on a back road that hasn’t been plowed, your screwed in a Mustang and most cars for that matter.

I’ve driven my Mustang a fair amount in the snow the 1st year I had it and it did pretty well with Blizzaks but no way can it do a significant snow storm.
Yeah even the little ones have 7 plus inches. I live off a dirt road. Most of the men drive trucks or very large SUVs as their primary and garage their muscle cars. Obviously we get a lot of snow but on occasion every few years we get a big one where if you have anything other than a large 4x4 truck or SUV like a Tahoe you better phone a friend if you plan on getting out. You can pull it off in the city but not sure why you want to. The roads are full of pot holes from the plows. Salt and lose gravel getting thrown around from the constant plowing is going to make a mess out of your car.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Try driving a car with 6 inches of ground clearance in a area where it snowed 10 + inches and get back to me ... lol....
I have. Several times.

The Mustang has no less clearance than any normal sedan or coupe, it's not any problem. The tires are the only real issue.

I'm not saying they're as good as a real 4X4, but they'll get you home with the right tires.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
So what's your point? you brought up the 10" of hypothetical snow as if that is the standard to judge vehicles by. I simply replied that there are very few that have clearance for the situation you presented.

models of SUV’s are not under 6 inches today. Don’t be silly.

First, I don't think anyone has advocated driving in heavy snow. And even in my last truck, tundra 4x4, I don't think I'd be driving around in 10" of snow if roads hadn't been plowed. But that's just me. I will caveat that by differentiating getting out of driveway/backroad is different than crusing down the highway.

Second, Tahoe is 7.9, QX80 is 9 and expedition is 9.8. From there it quickly goes down but then again those are mostly crossovers outside of those 3 I just listed. I was more taking a shot at how what most people consider SUV today are really crossovers and they are not known for as much ground clearance or off road capability. excuse my hyperbole on that but the fact remains, there are hardly any vehicles coming with 10+ inches of ground clearance. equinox, explorer, new blazer all are right around that 7.5" clearance, per manufacturer. as comparison, the stang is 5.66" per Ford (European spec, couldn't find the US so not sure if or how much different that is)

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I have. Several times.

The Mustang has no less clearance than any normal sedan or coupe, it's not any problem. The tires are the only real issue.

I'm not saying they're as good as a real 4X4, but they'll get you home with the right tires.
So what's your point? you brought up the 10" of hypothetical snow as if that is the standard to judge vehicles by. I simply replied that there are very few that have clearance for the situation you presented.

First, I don't think anyone has advocated driving in heavy snow. And even in my last truck, tundra 4x4, I don't think I'd be driving around in 10" of snow if roads hadn't been plowed. But that's just me. I will caveat that by differentiating getting out of driveway/backroad is different than crusing down the highway.

Second, Tahoe is 7.9, QX80 is 9 and expedition is 9.8. From there it quickly goes down but then again those are mostly crossovers outside of those 3 I just listed. I was more taking a shot at how what most people consider SUV today are really crossovers and they are not known for as much ground clearance or off road capability. excuse my hyperbole on that but the fact remains, there are hardly any vehicles coming with 10+ inches of ground clearance. equinox, explorer, new blazer all are right around that 7.5" clearance, per manufacturer. as comparison, the stang is 5.66" per Ford (European spec, couldn't find the US so not sure if or how much different that is)

I give up. You guys win the internet today :sunglasses:

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I give up. You guys win the internet today :sunglasses:
Just an FYI, an example.

In my 2005 GT, with the mud & snow tires installed, I drove through fresh snow that was deep, 10"+ or so. I remember worrying that there would be damage to the front of the car. I remember stopping and looking behind where I'd driven, and seeing how I'd flattened and grooved the snow with the car. And everything was fine afterwards.

With this 2019 and it's ridiculous, silly front lip, I'd think it would be fine too. Those plastic lips are hella stout.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The Pilot Sport 4S tires have very little grip in cool weather, even on dry pavement. The car slides around worse than when the pavement is wet. They are horrendous in the snow. You're reaching very far if you think they are good or even adequate tires in cold weather, esp. w/ some snow on the ground. I replaced my PS4S PP1 tires for the winter with Michelin Pilot Spot A/S 3+; much better grip on cold pavement, and I don't have to worry about warming them up slowly if they cool to 20F, as instructed by Michelin.
Sponsored