Mach 1 for '21MY

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
All good info, thank you.

One point though, neither Explorer nor Aviator have the 5.0 Coyote.....their top engine is the 3.0 Ecoboost 6-cylinder........but are, as you indicate, mated to the 10-speed auto with the hybrid tech. It's long been stated that the Ecoboost 6 "doesn't fit" in the current S550 engine bay (although I've never seen or heard that officially from Ford) so I'm still confident Mach 1 will be a V8......and I'm keeping 'em crossed that it does incorporate some form of hyrbid tech, but if that's the case, it'll be the first time Ford mates the V8 with such tech.

:)
You are absolutely correct. I think I had our forecast for a 5.0L HEV in F-150 in my brain. But yes, Explorer / Aviator are based on the EcoBoost 6.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You are absolutely correct. I think I had our forecast for a 5.0L HEV in F-150 in my brain. But yes, Explorer / Aviator are based on the EcoBoost 6.
I guess it would make absolute sense that any hybrid V8 system should be shared between Mustang and F150 as the truck effectively pays the Mustang's V8 bills :like:

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Being dispassionate about it for one moment....

Ford are launching the mache at the moment which is being given Mustang and Mach branding. The investment is all pinned on this car and its defendants. Mid to late this year would be a perfect time to launch another vehicle under the mustang and Mach brands to reinforce the new direction at ford.
Developing something complicated from scratch is not viable so ford need a cheap solution. Options are:
1.Big boot version of mache with a usable suv rear roof profile.
2. Rebadged bullitt with a10 option and stripes
3. Gt350/pp2 parts bin special in a my18 body (probably with the Coyote engine now that the gt500 can lead the charge for ultimate performance)

If the tremec rumour is to be believed I suspect it’s option 3 but I suspect option 2 is the cheapest option and therefore more likely.
However I bet option 1 happens within 1 year from today as it’s practically zero cost and opens up the mache platform to the family market.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Just lining up a few data points....

A couple weeks before the infamous “Mach 1” press conference at NAIAS, Ford stated that there would be a hybrid Mustang sometime around 2020. The hybrid Mustang would be part of a police package, but also a retail version. The police version makes good sense, especially for a radar / pursuit car. What do they spend most of their time doing? Sitting and idling. A hybrid would sit and “idle” with the engine off.

When Ford spoke about the “delay” of moving to S650, they also said that the Mustang Hybrid would be delayed until 2021. Lines up well with end of Bullitt and start of Mach E GT.

Ford Explorer has a 5.0L / 10AT hybrid available. Aviator has the same setup, but with a plug-in hybrid. So the brunt of the system integration work has already been done.

Just stacking these data points, I would suggest that Mach 1 will be a 5.0L 10AT hybrid.

The only thing that shakes my confidence in this would be the idea of a Tremec MT in the lineup. If that is the case, the only logical hybrid setup would be a 48V ISG mild hybrid. Around the same time Ford was delivering the original “Mach 1” press conference they had said some things at tech conferences I attended that indicated they were not really interested in 48V tech. They seem to have changed their minds on that recently, but a 2021 Mach 1 Hybrid would have had to be in development long before this change of mind.

EDIT: Explorer / Aviator have a 3.0 TT / 10AT. F150 HEV will probably have the 5.0L / 10AT
I think you are correct Martin.

I also believe the 5.0L 10AT hybrid is reserved for Mach 1. Making it thee fastest 0~62mph Mustang ever made. And a nice segue/sibling to the fully electric Mustang, Mach E.

Additionally, I think the Tremec MT + ISG might be put to use with the 2.3EB in a new "SVO" type turbo. Similar to what is being touted with the European 2021 Focus RS..? Having ISG hybrid for both the v8 w/auto & turbo with MT allows Ford Engineers more control over the ISG engagement/precision/abuse, etc. Ripping some hard pulls with a manual, is better suited with a smaller turbo + ISG. Engineers can program the boost to ISG to TQ handoff in miliseconds, etc.

I want a "push to pass" button...

SPR1957

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2013 Mustang GT
I am all for new variations but I have to admit The Bullitt renewed my interest in performance Mustangs. It is set at an excellent price point, dealers (most) didn’t demand ADM and it has plenty of power, good looks and features to get many into the game. Getting A GT 500 but I might trade my 2019 BULLITT so I can get what we really paid for WIFI. In the meantime I’m going to run that BulLitt like there is no tomorrow! FORD keep the Bullitt in the line up!

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I think you are correct Martin.

I also believe the 5.0L 10AT hybrid is reserved for Mach 1. Making it thee fastest 0~62mph Mustang ever made. And a nice segue/sibling to the fully electric Mustang, Mach E.

Additionally, I think the Tremec MT + ISG might be put to use with the 2.3EB in a new "SVO" type turbo. Similar to what is being touted with the European 2021 Focus RS..? Having ISG hybrid for both the v8 w/auto & turbo with MT allows Ford Engineers more control over the ISG engagement/precision/abuse, etc. Ripping some hard pulls with a manual, is better suited with a smaller turbo + ISG. Engineers can program the boost to ISG to TQ handoff in miliseconds, etc.

I want a "push to pass" button...
The Mach won’t be an awd hybrid. The limitation will be rwd, heavy, front engine.

It won’t be any quicker than the GT500. Roush was testing a hybrid prototype about a year ago. A motor sandwiched between the trans and engine.

it’ll assist 50hp/125 tq. Those are my predictions.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
While the car seems like it's going to be an awesome package, I gotta say, the one thing I tend to not like about some of these specialty Mustangs is the aesthetic changes they have to make for historic reasons. Like I've never really liked either of the colors the Bullitt is/was available in, and I REALLY don't like the wheels. This car looks better on both fronts, especially the color. But still not a big fan of the wheels... of course I can always replace those aftermarket, I suppose, but I LOVE the PP2 wheels.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
While the car seems like it's going to be an awesome package, I gotta say, the one thing I tend to not like about some of these specialty Mustangs is the aesthetic changes they have to make for historic reasons. Like I've never really liked either of the colors the Bullitt is/was available in, and I REALLY don't like the wheels. This car looks better on both fronts, especially the color. But still not a big fan of the wheels... of course I can always replace those aftermarket, I suppose, but I LOVE the PP2 wheels.
depending on the stripe package/hoodblackout etc, those are probably the wheels I would switch to. The hope for me at least is that the Mach 1 is comparable to the PP2, because that is the other option. Get a PP2 and dress it up as a Mach clone. Hoping they hold more to the performance aspect of the Mach than the luxury aspect of it. Give me a stronger motor, stick, nice decals, race red color, pedestal spoiler, red and black interior, magnaride, and the PP2 tuning and I'll be a happy camper. either a GT350 w/ 5.0 will work, or a GT500 w/o the S/C and with GT fenders/front and a unique stripe/paint scheme.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
5.2 CPC with A10 availability along with great colors and cosmetics would get it done, IMO.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Ita going to be an Automatic rebadged bullitt with some trinkets to make it a "Mach 1"

I doubt itll even be a NA 5.2. Although Ford has all the parts in its bins already to make it happen.

My money is gen3 same specs as the Bullitt.

Sponsored

JayTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The only spy shots we've seen were these.......and it doesn't really indicate a lower front end. The '18 refresh lowered the nose fractionally. I don't see it needing to be lowered any further (the EU S550 features an "active" hood that pops up in the event of a pedestrian impact, to protect them from the hard points under the hood).

As for the 4.8..........rumor has it that it never existed or, if it did, it was dropped when the 3rd Gen Coyote hit its emissions/MPG targets with the port and direct injection.

Here are the only spyshots we have of the mild face lift. I really hope we see more soon, as this indicated nothing but a bumper change.
21MY facelift 1.jpg
21MY Facelift 3.jpg
Anybody else notice the A-Pillar gauges?

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ford will not make it a 5.2

It’s gonna be a Bullitt+, meaning a PP2, Magnaride, PP2 style wheel package, functioning cold air off the hood and a slight bump in power 500 max and MACH 1 specific body parts

As far as a A10, a DCT or a better 6sp, who knows but this is my opinion as what to expect, we shall see soon

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Rebadged bullitt S-wing, gt500 rear valance, pp2 similar wheels and special recaros.
Sponsored