CannonBall Run Thought

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
Someone on here said on here said something about the Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea memorial run. I have been kicking the idea around for several months of attempting to break the record. As in the post of Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea memorial run I have a different take on it. I want to break the record with out to much of the extra technology.

Car, Driver, and radar detector. No extra fuel cells, no excessive technology. That would be my goal and hopefully I could do it and set a new standard for the record. I know it will take lots of luck, money, and risks but I believe doing it like this would be worth the reward as well as worth knowing that any attempt made after this wouldn't stand out as much do to the added tech and modifications. Modifying the vehicle I would do a lot of go fast parts (you know because I got to move fast as hell)

I did think of incorporating a few ideas to set myself from the rest. A 24 hour live feed or attempt at a live feed for the run. (signal strength and coverage might make some spots unavailable). I was planning on doing this run in the summer time when I hopefully could avoid storms. I planned on reaching out on social media via forms, Facebook, and networking to get a good support system for the run. I.E. scouts through various regions of the country. If you participate I will make sure to recognize you in any appearance or stories made. I will definitely keep this post updated if I do end up having the opportunity to do it. I am wanting to see if I can get this to take off.

If any companies out there want to contribute, any members want to contribute please message me. I would definitely appreciate it. If you think it could or couldn't be done I would love to hear the ideas and opinions. I want to see a mustang in the record books and make it the undisputed best and give it the reputation as the fastest car across country.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
If you live feed it then you wont make it far without the law intercepting you
well scratch the Live feed Idea. I did the math though. If I could get 16 MPG and do 5 minute gas station stops That's 10 stops running the tank down to empty. If I can keep an average speed at 112.44 MPH I could run the trip in 25 hrs and 50 minutes call it 26:30 to give myself a cushion. under perfect conditions.

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
one or two bad traffic stops and you'd be in a cell, looking at spending more quality time with Bubba. Why not line up a 24hr of Barber (or maybe a simpler track) where everyone can have limitless fun, no innocents to hurt and worst case the ambulance is sitting 3 min out? Stipulate that you have to use all season tires and you only get one set + 1 spare.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
If you have to average 112mph/hr, you'll never make it. Assuming you have to stop for gas, you'll need to bump up your average MPH for that hour to around 140mph. And where, exactly, and how are you planning to be able to go that fast?

Not to mention, the faster you go the faster fuel burns and the longer you go, the more likely something is going to break. I think either you would not hit your goal or kill yourself trying. Either way, not a good idea.

Just 1 traffic stop can last 45 mins - hour, especially if you are caught driving reckless. That's assuming you aren't jailed and don't have your car impounded.

Have you never watched Super Speeders and seen how many traffic stops they go through? And they are travelling MUCH slower than what you are proposing.

I don't believe it is doable logically, rationally, or even physically and I would dissuade you from trying as much as possible.

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
If you have to average 112mph/hr, you'll never make it. Assuming you have to stop for gas, you'll need to bump up your average MPH for that hour to around 140mph. And where, exactly, and how are you planning to be able to go that fast?

Not to mention, the faster you go the faster fuel burns and the longer you go, the more likely something is going to break. I think either you would not hit your goal or kill yourself trying. Either way, not a good idea.

Just 1 traffic stop can last 45 mins - hour, especially if you are caught driving reckless. That's assuming you aren't jailed and don't have your car impounded.

Have you never watched Super Speeders and seen how many traffic stops they go through? And they are travelling MUCH slower than what you are proposing.

I don't believe it is doable logically, rationally, or even physically and I would dissuade you from trying as much as possible.
need to increase gas mileage.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
There's no way to get 16 MPG at triple digit speeds, and let me add that triple digit speeds on public roads is dangerous.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Triple digit speeds doesn't go hand in hand with good MPG's. You'll be lucky to pull 16MPG's running her that hard for so long.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
There's no way to get 16 MPG at triple digit speeds, and let me add that triple digit speeds on public roads is dangerous.
^THIS....and posted at exactly the same time.

I would not build a car for this project at my shop, even if it was funded well. There's a 90% chance it will end with a serious accident and them scraping you off the road, or someone else. Mustangs get a bad enough rep on the news....we don't need any more help in that category.

To play Devil's advocate just for a second: let's say you did make it, just for the sake of argument. Well, those behind you would just blame variables for your success such as: storms, road work, traffic, police presence, etc. Also, I'm not sure if you are aware, but most of the time major criminal offenses, which this would be, do not wind up in record books. You don't just get to the end and have a massive crowd of paparazzi waiting for you and companies offering book deals, etc.

Look man, I've done my share of racing in inappropriate places. Like 98% of the people on this site probably have. BUT...there's a time and a place for everything and I never do that stuff when there's innocent people around. You can't predict what people are going to do when they are driving, particularly now with all the phones, etc. If I accidentally killed someone chasing some stupid time that matters to nobody but me, it would haunt me for the rest of my life. Not worth it. It's the same reason that if I knew what you intended to do, I wouldn't build you a car to do it in.

As someone else suggested, if you want a challenge, set up a track day and make some of your own rules and prove it where it is safe to do so. Or if you are more looking for a speed and adrenaline rush, hit up a Beat the Heat event at the track. You can go head to head against the cops with no threat of jail. And in either case, there's medical staff and safety crews to handle anything that could go wrong.

This pursuit ends badly. I suggest you find another one.

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Aside from safety and legality issues, what youre proposing doesn't sound possible.

I'd bet, even if you were guaranteed not to be pulled over, your goal would be almost impossible just with equipment.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
140mph is 205 feet per second. Aka, 69 yards per second. Whoever is driving needs to be laser focused on the road. Blinking your eyes once you will travel about 5 car lengths.

Seems like too much risk for so little reward. Maybe 5 seconds of internet fame, but that's it.

I remember a couple years ago where NYC brought legal action against a guy who was speeding on one of the city streets, and posted the video to social media. Not sure what happened with that guy, but I doubt the internet street-cred he received helped his legal battle.

Anyone who breaks the record has to wait for a period of time for the statute of limitations to expire on moving violations before they can post their time.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Back in 2006, I drove from Kansas City, MO to Texas Children's hospital in Houston, TX in right at 9 hours. That's right at 800 miles. This included 2 gas stops and a 20 minute detour/stop to wash the blood off my windshield from taking out a bird with the hood scoop at about 120 mph. On the last leg from Dallas to the hospital (about 240 miles), I don't think I ever drove below 100 mph and made it in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. This was in a full bolt on and cammed 2005 GTO.

It was probably the most reckless thing I've ever done in my life, but I was trying to get there before my 14 year old daughter went into double lung transplant surgery not knowing if I would ever see her again.

This is not even close to what you are proposing, and at least there was a meaning for my stupidity. Please don't try something so meaningless like this on the public highways where innocent lives are at risk. It's just not worth the risk.

Funny thing about this story, on my trip back to KC several weeks later, I got pulled over on I-45 on the south side of Dallas for 76 mph in a 55 mph zone. I had missed the speed change from 65 to 55 a couple miles back.

The officer was very polite and asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I told him I had my cruise set on 74 which I thought was 9 over the limit. He informed me the limit had dropped to 55 a couple miles back, but he appreciated my honesty. He asked me about my car and where I was heading. I told him the whole story about my daughter's surgery (of course leaving out the part of the 9 hour trip down). He told me to slow it down a little and only gave me a warning. I think that was one of the few times I haven't ended up with a ticket. My guardian angel was definitely with me on that trip.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Back in 2006, I drove from Kansas City, MO to Texas Children's hospital in Houston, TX in right at 9 hours. That's right at 800 miles. This included 2 gas stops and a 20 minute detour/stop to wash the blood off my windshield from taking out a bird with the hood scoop at about 120 mph. On the last leg from Dallas to the hospital (about 240 miles), I don't think I ever drove below 100 mph and made it in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. This was in a full bolt on and cammed 2005 GTO.

It was probably the most reckless thing I've ever done in my life, but I was trying to get there before my 14 year old daughter went into double lung transplant surgery not knowing if I would ever see her again.

This is not even close to what you are proposing, and at least there was a meaning for my stupidity. Please don't try something so meaningless like this on the public highways where innocent lives are at risk. It's just not worth the risk.

Funny thing about this story, on my trip back to KC several weeks later, I got pulled over on I-45 on the south side of Dallas for 76 mph in a 55 mph zone. I had missed the speed change from 65 to 55 a couple miles back.

The officer was very polite and asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I told him I had my cruise set on 74 which I thought was 9 over the limit. He informed me the limit had dropped to 55 a couple miles back, but he appreciated my honesty. He asked me about my car and where I was heading. I told him the whole story about my daughter's surgery (of course leaving out the part of the 9 hour trip down). He told me to slow it down a little and only gave me a warning. I think that was one of the few times I haven't ended up with a ticket. My guardian angel was definitely with me on that trip.
Holy heck man that is quite a story I hope all worked out okay after that ordeal. But that was completely justified by you to do that speed laws be damned! To the OP this sounds crazy to me and could end badly in many possible ways.
Sponsored