Break-in dilemma question

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So after two months at the dealer, I finally got a new motor in today and it will be installed by Tuesday. My sister is getting married next weekend and I planned months ago to drive from Atlanta to East PA. Basically I’ll be putting 800 miles on the car with a brand new motor with a few hours of break-in.

Best way to do this as properly as possible?
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Don’t do it. Cruising at constant highway speeds that long will not allow the rings to seal. There is a person here who bought out of state long distance and drove it home. It ruined it. I’d rent a car if I was you. For my new motor I did not highway cruise till I was at 1.2 k miles. I did trips of 150 to 200 miles of some highway with lots of backroad engine pulls to 6k rpm then coast then do it again and again. Have 12k on new motor and it burns minimal oil.

shanewendel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Seems to me if you just drive normally and don't use cruise, you should be fine.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
So after two months at the dealer, I finally got a new motor in today and it will be installed by Tuesday. My sister is getting married next weekend and I planned months ago to drive from Atlanta to East PA. Basically I’ll be putting 800 miles on the car with a brand new motor with a few hours of break-in.

Best way to do this as properly as possible?
Just vary your speeds as you travel down the highway, that was part of break in suggestions from the past that for some reason didn't really get carried thru into more modern times. So drive at 55 for a while, then up it to 65 for a while, 70 for a while, etc. Just don't go much past 70 mph, and stay out of full throttle/high rpm situations...and you'll be fine.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
and change the engine oil before making your return trip, even if that means (gulp) not being able to do that yourself. and I might add, it would be smart to send a small sample of that drained oil off to have it analyzed. I changed factory oil at 500 miles in every single car I've ever bought brand new....and I've never had any failures at all.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
You get the best ring seal by using quick revs then let off the gas, use part throttle and then do it again and again. Cruising at 55 for a bit then upping to 70 for a bit is better than constant 60, but it’s still not optimal.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
You get the best ring seal by using quick revs then let off the gas, use part throttle and then do it again and again. Cruising at 55 for a bit then upping to 70 for a bit is better than constant 60, but it’s still not optimal.
certainly not! quick revs maybe when warm, but that's seriously bad advice on a new engine that's cold! if a ring doesn't seal in a new engines first 20 minutes of life, it will never be right...and it takes 1/2 that time to actually bring the engine up to operating temps.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Ummmm....I never said on a cold engine. Of course wait till the oil temp is up. Duh

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Ummmm....I never said on a cold engine. Of course wait till the oil temp is up. Duh
Well precise language on advice like this is critical. I wasn't trying to pick on you, but some people may not know to NEVER rev and engine like a coyote or voodoo cold...you wanna have a discussion where "typewriter tick" comes from? This to me, other than poor choice in oil, is the number 1 reason why engines like ours fail...and its the main reason why I say typewriter tick is a made up phenomena, and its also the number 1 reason I no longer think most of the S550 Youtuber's should be listened to, because if you listen to them you won't be getting good advice, especially from the one's who'll take a brand new Shelby out with less than 100 miles on it and run the ever lovin' piss out of it and then wonder why the damn engine ticks! Rant over...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Droopy1592

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well precise language on advice like this is critical. I wasn't trying to pick on you, but some people may not know to NEVER rev and engine like a coyote or voodoo cold...you wanna have a discussion where "typewriter tick" comes from? This to me, other than poor choice in oil, is the number 1 reason why engines like ours fail...and its the main reason why I say typewriter tick is a made up phenomena, and its also the number 1 reason I no longer think most of the S550 Youtuber's should be listened to, because if you listen to them you won't be getting good advice, especially from the one's who'll take a brand new Shelby out with less than 100 miles on it and run the ever lovin' piss out of it and then wonder why the damn engine ticks! Rant over...
I think his language was pretty clear. Most of us forum dwellers assume you rev the engine at operating temps >190.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
This is all Ford had to say about it in the ‘16 Supplement:

BREAKING-IN
Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least 100 mi (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttlemaneuvers and at least 1,000 mi (1,600 km) before performance or competition conditions.
Note: Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

Check your version (there are links in the GT350 Basics sticky