Sponsored

Mustang "Lithium" Battery Electric Prototype Signals Future With 900+ HP / 1000 FT-LBS Torque!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Plus, every EV has a different proprietary plug which requires a series of adapters to make a car work with a particular plug. And charging is usually very slow....maybe 5-6 miles of range per hour.
The plugs are standardized now I believe. You can get charged at a rate of 60kW/hr (tier1) or higher (tier2, up to 250kW) but subject to pack temps, condition and onboard "smart" monitoring.

The convenience of ICE refueling is off the charts. 5 minutes and you have a tank full good for 350-400 miles of range and filling stations are trivial to locate. An electric likely needs to be recharged at least once to hit the same range and each effort will cost no less than 30 minutes and closer to an hour. Assuming you don't have to wait for an outlet. Oh, and don't pay any attention to the huge diesel generator sitting beside the nice, white, clinically clean charging post!

The only way electrics are truly successful and succeed in "reshaping" rich, metro areas is if there a lot more power plants built and battery packs are standardized and easily interchangeable no matter the car. The NatGas and other combustion-driven plants will adore the steady base load they can feed overnight and the higher billing.
Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Tesla uses a different charger than a Leaf which uses a different connector than the upcoming Taycan. I think Europe is better about connectors than the US.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is the average person is dumb. Look how many safety warnings we need because some idiot did something that was OBVIOUSLY stupid and then filed a suit for it and somehow won, or resulted in warnings needing to be posted. Look how many people have been driving or using a PC for decades but still have 0 idea how they function on even a basic level.

The average person is a total fucking idiot. Common sense is NOT common anymore.
That's why I say take all warning labels off of everything and let natural selection take it's course.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I think that may be just a little strong. They may now be as informed as us "enthusiasts" but they are not "all" idiots. Just most of them :)

And I think we need to stop blaming the government, our government, for everything. I'm not saying they are blameless but some good is done along with the not so good. Energy use is a worldwide issue. The US just uses more of it partially due to our lifelong love of the automobile. Alternative means of propulsion are going to be necessary as fossil fuels are not going to be available forever.

Anyone remember the mid 70's? We thought performance was dead. We were all going to be driving around in compact cars. Well look where we are now. I do not know what the performance landscape is going to look like it 10 to 20 years but I truly believe that there will be one for us to enjoy.
I have had people come to me with a messages that said "This site will not be supporting Internet Explorer anymore. Please use Chrome, Edge or Firefox to continue access this this site" and ask me what that means... People still have problems knowing what a web browser is...

I should not have to be still explaining to people that have been using a PC longer than I've had a career that an icon on your desktop means you have an installed application. That the identical Mail icons on your iPhone and iPad both load your mail

I had a friend that wasn't ware people wash their cars. He drove with 2 feet... in an automatic.

I know a person banned in a country for not paying taxes, and finds it "funny" when people file a suit against him, but is all huge fan of China's social credit system.. somehow unaware he'd be blacklisted in such a system.

I watched a person need a 4-5 point turn to back a Fiesta out of a parking space in a parking lot, despite having like 7ft of empty space behind them they were unaware how much space they had and were having trouble backing out where an F150 had no problem at all.

I don't blame the govt, I blame US for allowing stupid people to think it's okay to be totally stupid and oblivious and not shaming them into improving themselves, and holding them accountable to things caused by stupidity. Instead we just pat them on the head and tell them it's okay.

I dont want people to be experts at things, just be competent at the BASICS. Reading, communication, spacial awareness, math, logical reasoning. This isnt even a generational thing. I see the same problems in people older and younger than me.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know a person banned in a country for not paying taxes, and finds it "funny" when people file a suit against him, but is all huge fan of China's social credit system.. somehow unaware he'd be blacklisted in such a system.
In China he'd be in prison

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have had people come to me with a messages that said "This site will not be supporting Internet Explorer anymore. Please use Chrome, Edge or Firefox to continue access this this site" and ask me what that means... People still have problems knowing what a web browser is...

I should not have to be still explaining to people that have been using a PC longer than I've had a career that an icon on your desktop means you have an installed application. That the identical Mail icons on your iPhone and iPad both load your mail

I had a friend that wasn't ware people wash their cars. He drove with 2 feet... in an automatic.

I watched a person need a 4-5 point turn to back a Fiesta out of a parking space in a parking lot, despite having like 7ft of empty space behind them they were unaware how much space they had and were having trouble backing out where an F150 had no problem at all.

I don't blame the govt, I blame US for allowing stupid people to think it's okay to be totally stupid and oblivious and not shaming them into improving themselves, and holding them accountable to things caused by stupidity. Instead we just pat them on the head and tell them it's okay.

I dont want people to be experts at things, just be competent at the BASICS. Reading, communication, spacial awareness, math, logical reasoning. This isnt even a generational thing. I see the same problems in people older and younger than me.
I'm with you 100% but as my dearly departed dad used to say.....

098779722c61c628b9f4528c488ee5b7--i-dont-always-funny-shit.jpg

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't want to hurt anybody's feeling that's why everyone get a pretisepation award

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Don't want to hurt anybody's feeling that's why everyone get a pretisepation award
I just find it ironic that its the "boomers" that bitch about participation awards, yet it all started with millennial's getting them... so who was giving those awards out? Yup. Boomers/oldest of the Gen X. Don't blame kids for the idiot stuff their parents do. Millennials were not handing out participation awards to themselves when the oldest of them were age 10.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The convenience of ICE refueling is off the charts. 5 minutes and you have a tank full good for 350-400 miles of range and filling stations are trivial to locate. An electric likely needs to be recharged at least once to hit the same range and each effort will cost no less than 30 minutes and closer to an hour. Assuming you don't have to wait for an outlet. Oh, and don't pay any attention to the huge diesel generator sitting beside the nice, white, clinically clean charging post!
This is a major stumbling block for me, I don't want to have to redirect, alter my route, accommodate the "refueling" mechanism, I want to __be__ convenienced with stations every 2-3 miles, sub 10-minute full ups, no concern over availability, etc.

A buddy of mine constantly tries to convince me how he makes great use of the time when he has to stop for 30 minutes, just trying to drive to Atlanta. We drive the about the same distance, in the opposite direction to our place in The Keys, 6 people, 6 rollers, two huge tubs of dive gear and a cooler on a hitch carrier ... no stops (outside of emergency pee breaks :D), in fact, we wheel in with just under a 1/4 tank of gas.

Assuming you don't have to wait for an outlet. Oh, and don't pay any attention to the huge diesel generator sitting beside the nice, white, clinically clean charging post!
A friend (actually, I'd say he's been downgraded to more of an acquaintance ...) posted to FB (I'm not on it, but my wife saw it and shared), had this situation where he stayed a small, but nice, branded hotel in a touristy southern city, Tesla owner, all the chargers were filled, couldn't find a place to easily deal with this, so he had to Uber out to the local airport, leave his car on a charger, pay for parking (and then of course deal with the car pickup logistics at departure).

Heck, there's a house we've stayed at a few times in Savannah, no idea how you would charge an EV, parking is in the street, one time I had to park on the opposite side, I'm sure running a 50' extension cord across the street would not have been prudent :D
Sponsored