Shadow Black - Mistake or Not

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
I currently have an order for a shadow black GT500, which is delayed until likely March or April. Unfortunately, this gives me a lot of time to see a lot of photos and videos of different colors, and I am considering a change of color. The race red and performance blue are the choices I may switch to.

I would love to get an in person look at a black GT500, but I’m not sure if there’s anyway to do that before mine comes in. I’m sure that every single one of these is going to look great, and it doesn’t seem like there are a lot of confirmed shadow black builds,

i’m just worried that the contrast and details that they designed may get lost in the black on black color scheme.

Any advice?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have an order for a shadow black GT500, which is delayed until likely March or April. Unfortunately, this gives me a lot of time to see a lot of photos and videos of different colors, and I am considering a change of color. The race red and performance blue are the choices I may switch to.

I would love to get an in person look at a black GT500, but I’m not sure if there’s anyway to do that before mine comes in. I’m sure that every single one of these is going to look great, and it doesn’t seem like there are a lot of confirmed shadow black builds,

i’m just worried that the contrast and details that they designed may get lost in the black on black color scheme.

Any advice?

Unfortunately only you can answer your questions. I can however say, in my opinion, the contrasts will more than likely get lost with black paint. You need to decide if you want the sleek beautiful black look, or if you want the contrasts to pop. I believe every color has its place, and you can’t go wrong with either. I only suggest you are 100% sure of the color you go with because you don’t want any regerts.....

OP
OP
DocGT

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
Unfortunately only you can answer your questions. I can however say, in my opinion, the contrasts will more than likely get lost with black paint. You need to decide if you want the sleek beautiful black look, or if you want the contrasts to pop. I believe every color has its place, and you can’t go wrong with either. I only suggest you are 100% sure of the color you go with because you don’t want any regerts.....
Agreed “No Regerts”. Hoping that a local dealer gets a black one in soon. Not sure if there are any events around the country where I could see one. Anyone aware of any events that the black GT500 will be present?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Black is a detailing nightmare. My opinion is it’ll also hide the lines of the GT500. The blacked out grill/bumper won’t be noticeable. Same with the hood vent.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Doc: Jaime hit it on the head with that advice. He's quite partial to PB while I have a sweet spot in my heart for Race Red since that's the color of my current car. But, Race Red is a law enforcement magnet, trust me, I know, which is why I eased down to Rapid Red which is only slightly "stealthy." :-)

Here's my 2014...

and with Race Red, on a base car, I much prefer white stripes. However, if your car is a 2-seater with the larger, black wing, black stripes would be the better choice for Race Red IMHO.

As for black, I've had one vehicle in that color and it was SUCH a PITA to take care of that paint that I swore I'd never have another. Plus, living in South Texas, black doesn't get along with ultra-hot summers.

All that said, I'm sure you will LOVE whichever color you choose, Doc.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
The black looks very good with white OTT stripes.

Last edited:

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Black is the least you’d see contrast on. They look like regular GTs. Anything with color would be the best option.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
It’s all a personal opinion but, while at Woodward this year ford seem to have the 500 parked everywhere. They were randomly sitting in parking lots, on the street amongst other Mustangs, I damn near walked past the Shadow Black one because it just didn’t stand out. I love the Black, I have a 16 Shadow Black GT350, but on this 500 it just doesn’t pop?

MadMax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Antimatter Blue GT500 CFTP
DOC - I was in the same shoes as you were about the black. I really wanted black but I just feel it hides details from the car that just takes away the character. My order with the dealership I had changed to black with no stripes with recaros and I really wanted stripes but did not like the white stripes on the black. The car actually got assigned a VIN and the dealership had to jump through some hoops to change the color. I eventually chose Rapid Red / Black Stripes. Ultimately it is your decision and I think it will look awesome regardless of what color is chosen. I spoke with StangMode since had had saw Black in person and he did state it did hide the body lines. Good Luck!

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
I agree. The details will be lost on a all black car. I ordered iconic with painted bla k stripes and the painted black roof. It is just like the CFTP you see in the original photos on the old airfield

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

Any advice?
You are dealing with what everyone deals with on an important buy.

However, your first instinct is usually your best.

Black by default will diffuse some things, but not make them invisible.

The 2020 500 is much more involved with the futuristic styling and really ANY color looks good on the car. You really cannot go wrong with black on any car. Get what you like and enjoy it. Literally no one is going to see your new hot rod and think "oh, he got the black color. It really should have been a different color." They'd more likely be thinking "dang. that is sinister in a very good way."

Especially if was possible to get magnetic colored stripes...

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Well this is how I would look at it
1. Seems from responses Shadow Black will not be a common color, maybe even rare. 10 years from now that may mean something to someone. So might make it one of those cars that people want, if you can be understand my thinking.
2. I would assume this car is going to be kept in garage, low mileage, weekend car etc.... So ceramiccoat it
3. I have a black GT, wife picked it out. All I could think about was the maintance. But it actual is a beautiful car. In the evening, or under the lights that California Special is an eye-catching vehicle. I did not tint windows which I believer helps. Don't like the gangster's look
4. Its your car, do it for you personally. Don't do it for what you think others may like.
I like matt black strips on a black car
5. Plus your Black Shelby won't blend in with all the other Red Shelbys at cars and coffee events

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
My 2 cents. Go down to the local ford dealer and look at a shadow black gt premium. I mean honestly when they are parked other then a few cosmetic differences in the front and a spoiler they are the same car visually.

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
My 2 cents is that black will be more conservative as a lot of the crazy details will be lost. That's a taste and preferences.

I personally drive a shadow black California Special. On mine the windows are tinted and all those white stripes are removed for a much sleeker look. It's stealthy, but it's not as eye catching as my Fiesta ST was in Tuxedo black (heavy metallic black, beautiful color).