Aftermarket window chrome trim

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
@buenoshun, my kit came with adhesive promoter as well as 3M tape. After cleaning, prepping, and applying the promoter, my trim stuck like you wouldn't believe. I don't think I could get it off without a hammer and chisel.
It won’t!! Tried to reposition one piece down a little!! The entire rubber was coming out!!
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Yeah, when you put it on for real (after multiple dry test fits) make sure the first contact is exactly where you want it, because that's where it's going to stay for all eternity. There's no second chances on this install, so be fussy and get it right the first (and only) time.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I know it looks really nice, I was considering it too. I might still use it, if there is a proof for its strength and reliability. I would not get the $2500 one, so the Chinese one if it is guaranteed safe, or nothing.

I'm an engineer. We dont use glue for any structural things, only mechanical fasteners made of metal.
As I said, if the car sits in a sunny parking lot in a southern state, the glue can get heated to 170F, then most of it's strength may be lost. Even certain plastics get soft that you can re-form them by hand (using gloves). In hot condition, it can slowly detach from the surface. At this softened or detached state, a little 80mph wind on the freeway could rip it off. Unless the 3M tape is rated to retain lets say 90% of its strength up to 170F. Which type of 3M tape is on it? A high-temp variant? Does it have short term (seconds) temperature tolerance, or long term (hours, repeated daily) temperature tolerance?

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...0676+8710815+8711017+8712905+3294857497&rt=r3
I've had it on my car for two years, in 110F summer in the sun, and in negative temps in the winter. Up to 160mph many times. It hasnt gone anywhere. You are overthinking it lol.

OEMs use 3M tape to secure trim and molding all the time. I used to install them working at a dealership. They just stick on.

buenoshun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Istvan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks. that sounds good.
You cannot overthink safety. Plan first, then execute. I am a design engineer for electronics.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
How does the trim hold up to the weather elements and environmental fallout? Not so much as to how it adheres, but does the chrome or metal tarnish, get acid rain spot stains, etc?

Sponsored

ile mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
How does the trim hold up to the weather elements and environmental fallout? Not so much as to how it adheres, but does the chrome or metal tarnish, get acid rain spot stains, etc?
Mine's been on for a year (daily driver) and it looks like day 1.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I like the look of it. If my first choice of paint wasn't white, I would have them. But on white or silver, they are almost invisible.

buenoshun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Istvan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I like the look of it. If my first choice of paint wasn't white, I would have them. But on white or silver, they are almost invisible.
My mustang is also white. I was told by friends that I shouldn't put chrome on it.
There are plenty of white cars with chrome window trim, just like my old mazda6, and I think it looks more upper class.
Here is an example photo off the internet:
https://autoweek.com/sites/default/files/styles/gen-1200-675/public/100509993-8.jpg
Or look at a 1969 mustang in white with chrome trims:
https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/6EMWX/s1/8-great-ford-mustang-boss-302-colors.jpg

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
So far, so good. Daily driving in Canadian winter hasn't stained mine at all.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Bumping this one again - for those who have it, is it still holding up well (adhesive, finish, etc)?

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Bumping this one again - for those who have it, is it still holding up well (adhesive, finish, etc)?
Mine is still holding up well after 2+ years

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Staining... how does Stainless Steel stain?? Hence the name... “stainless” ..it polished up really nice too!!

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
This trim has been on my 2018 for 14 months. No concerns whatsoever. IMO, it's far superior in appearance to the factory 'anodized look' trim in the Eco Pony package and standard on the Bullitt. The finish is like a mirror. As you can see, it does not cover 100% of the rubber at the rear corner, but it does follow the molding line in the rubber, so does not look out of place. This trim really jumps out on darker cars.

Window Trim.JPG

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
This trim has been on my 2018 for 14 months. No concerns whatsoever. IMO, it's far superior in appearance to the factory 'anodized look' trim in the Eco Pony package and standard on the Bullitt. The finish is like a mirror. As you can see, it does not cover 100% of the rubber at the rear corner, but it does follow the molding line in the rubber, so does not look out of place. This trim really jumps out on darker cars.

Window Trim.JPG
Allegro... stunning for sure! Was it installed by a Pro?? IMH..this beats the hell out of my Factory brushed aluminum...not lined up...window chrome on my BULLITT!!! Buy the China stuff...you will not regret it..where are you located, maybe I can sell you a set new in the box???? Send me a PM!! Cobra Jet..I see you’re in NJ !!
67FB3A87-1798-4623-8FD4-9A1EEAD5DFD0.jpeg

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
I ordered my UK car with the factory chrome trim because I think it has higher perceived quality than the black trim so this mod you’re all doing has my thumb up and it certainly looks oem at a much lower price point
474FDF46-B00A-4FA9-B4FE-A0F08F26D9FA.jpeg
Sponsored