Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Thanks Dick - I'm not even close to buying anything. Just reading discussions on a other forum (btw - extremely interesting to read Sam's posts about 2015 test that always gets brought up whenever the FS car lineup comes up) made me think what if.

I might do a "test/car swap" with Ido of opportunity arises, other than that - focusing on driving better.
Me too on the driving better effort.

My car would have been used in that test in 2015 except by the time I was asked on Thursday or Friday we were in Omaha doing "vacation" things and couldn't get back in time. Too bad since I had a lot of data acquisition equipment including a Race Technology DL1 and Video4 and SoloStorm using DL1 data. Sam's comments were right on regarding the test course speed range. After the start it was "shift to 3rd" and go like heck trying not to hit cones in a long fast slalom which was on the rev limiter if I stayed in second and then solidly in the middle of 3rd for the rest of the course. Nothing like the actual courses. FYI prior to the T/W run days for FS I had done the EVO Advantage TnT with many runs compared to the few that the normal TnT allows.
Sponsored

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
I find a strange twist of irony when Sam, who was one of the biggest proponents of them being "the same but in different ways", is now back pedaling on his comments back then by saying "Well the course minimized the disadvantages of the Mustang and Camaro and minimized the advantages of the BMW."

Uhh huh... Even in those cases, the 6th Gen Mustang was still THREE TENTHS slower than the BMW. That's a pretty healthy margin on an undeveloped car... not that the 6th Gens were exactly fleshed out then either.

What needs to happen is an a-b-c-d test again... the Nationals site isn't that expensive to rent... have a test and tune day... come out to a Nebraska Region test and tune, I don't know, I don't care... lets get it "done" and see what the speed delta is with some known quantity drivers of varying skill levels. I'm tired of relying on the old test as the basis, especially now that one of the biggest proponents of that test showing "everything is fine" is now back pedaling on that comment.

Reactions: kz

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Tony is really f'ing fast, as FS discovered this year...

Maybe time to start playing with bumpstops in FS to try and get the S550 to turn? Either less front bumpstop or more rear...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Tony is really f'ing fast, as FS discovered this year...

Maybe time to start playing with bumpstops in FS to try and get the S550 to turn? Either less front bumpstop or more rear...
More front bar. If that doesn't do it, come play in CAMC :).

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Well, that's an option if I still owned a Mustang :p I'm friends with a lot of the FS BMW folks though, lots of talk about Yokohamas but when I did side by side videos of Tony vs other folks he was just flat out driving better. Tony, Ido, and some others are planning to do an FS car test if they can, would be interesting to see how they all stack up.

I ran CS this year, STR next year.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Tony, Ido, and some others are planning to do an FS car test if they can, would be interesting to see how they all stack up.

I ran CS this year, STR next year.
I sort of planned to do it with them after talking to him in Peru, but doesn't look like we will get to do it this year due to venue unavailability. Last possible chance would have been tomorrow if NWOR ran their event at the airport, but there are Jeeps all over it...

Early next year we'll do it if Toledo is available as they're still running M3.

NWOR typically does T&T early in the year, so we might be able to run an actual test rather than just bunch of local events competition runs.

My car probably could be better with some pimpy shocks but let's assume magnaride is ok for street class.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The GT just suffers from being too soft, even with the PP1. A 200-225 lb/in front spring up from 165 would make a world of difference and would barely change ride comfort with a good damper match. 250 lb up front rides remarkably well.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yeah, not having Toledo makes any sort of testing kinda useless :(

Agreed on the GT being too soft. Needs too much front bar to keep it from flopping all over than you just have push and on the Magneride cars they bandaided that with shock tuning which can only do so much.

Schnupper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black
I finally got my front struts slotted per the FSM. Ended up getting -2.3 camber up front which is not ideal but better than stock. I also replaced my 275 squared rivals for a set of RE71r's for the last few events this year. I really enjoyed the rival's and got 140 runs on them!!! For the RE71r's I kept the 275 up front and went 285 in the rear. Added bonus the rears were almost 50$ cheaper than the 275's.... Next year I might throw on a front bar and get some struts/shocks but part of me wants to dive into CAM instead.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sort of planned to do it with them after talking to him in Peru, but doesn't look like we will get to do it this year due to venue unavailability. Last possible chance would have been tomorrow if NWOR ran their event at the airport, but there are Jeeps all over it...

Early next year we'll do it if Toledo is available as they're still running M3.

NWOR typically does T&T early in the year, so we might be able to run an actual test rather than just bunch of local events competition runs.

My car probably could be better with some pimpy shocks but let's assume magnaride is ok for street class.
Based on a couple of events with the stock front bar back on the car I like it compared to the stiffer bar I ran most of last year. Also, MagneRide in Sport seems to put power down better without giving up transient response. Note that from what I've seen/read throttle pedal mapping is the same for sport and track so that probably isn't a factor.

Regarding front camber my car started with -1.5 on both sides and increased to -2.2 with the FSM slotting. With 275 RE-71R's and about 32 PSI at the start of each run shoulder wear isn't an issue before I replace the tires (I don't flip, rotate, or allow them to get bald due to the need for thunderstorm capability to/from events)

When I ran 285's on the rear of my 2015 I couldn't tell a difference compared to the 275's but that could be "driver".

Sponsored

ahhter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I finally got my front struts slotted per the FSM. Ended up getting -2.3 camber up front which is not ideal but better than stock. I also replaced my 275 squared rivals for a set of RE71r's for the last few events this year. I really enjoyed the rival's and got 140 runs on them!!! For the RE71r's I kept the 275 up front and went 285 in the rear. Added bonus the rears were almost 50$ cheaper than the 275's.... Next year I might throw on a front bar and get some struts/shocks but part of me wants to dive into CAM instead.
-2.3 is an exceptional amount of camber for the amount of movement you get from removing only 1mm of material. I'm taking from your wording that a shop did it for you and guessing they took extra. I only ended up with -1.5 :(

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
My GT350 started at -1.2 and ended up at like -1.8... -2.3 would have been awesome.

Possible it's just an optimistic rack calibration thing too.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was very pleased that my 18 with MR had -1.5 left and right from the factory measured at home with the car leveled with shims as needed. The home gauge matched the alignment rack measurements after 1 mm slotting so I expect -2.2 on both sides is pretty close. Plus the alignment rack and my gauge rear measurements match at an average of -1.5.

My 15 came with just over -1 before slotting.

Schnupper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black
I got to try out the new tires and alignment today. Went pretty well ended up taking 2nd in the Chicagoland scca event. Lost by .061 to an M3.
Sponsored