damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
Hey everyone!

So I bought a new 2018 Mustang GT last month. Everything has been great, but I just recently hit 1,500 miles and now I believe I'm starting to hear some mild form of engine knocking. Granted, this is my first time with a Mustang or V8 engine for that matter, so I'm sure they make some forms of noises I'm not used to. BUT this noise tends to happen at around 1500 RPM's. It doesn't happen all the time. I used to have a 2012 Hyundai Accent that made similar noises (they were a bit louder though) and they had eventually triggered the knock sensor on that vehicle. I'm not getting any knock sensors tripping on the GT. Please note, this is NOT the infamous ticking noise people post on here. This only happens when I'm accelerating. Sounds like a mild rattle or ticking/clicking when accelerating, typically at those RPM's.

The reason I'm confused is because the manual states occasional knock is normal? How should I go about this? I was planning maybe trying Premium fuel and seeing if that helps? Maybe notifying the dealership in a few weeks when I do an oil change? I'm kind of discouraged about this, but then again it could be normal. I'll try and record something later today. Thank you!
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
You sure it's not the tick? Sounds like it might be.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
2k rpm rattle is normal mine starts around 2k ends around 2500

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I know the manual says it's okay to run 87, but multiple people have reported knocking and pinging on the Gen 3 Coyote when running 87. Definitely try 91-93 and see if the noise goes away.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
You sure it's not the tick? Sounds like it might be.
Isn't the tick typically just on start-up or idle? I haven't had any ticks while in either. My issue only occurs during acceleration.

Sponsored

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2k rpm rattle is normal mine starts around 2k ends around 2500
It's hard to tell if it's a rattle or knock. It's typically happening at mild to moderate speeds. I drove at about 90-95 MPH yesterday just to test it out and see if the noise gets worse and it doesn't. Actually, on higher speeds the engine sounds better.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
I know the manual says it's okay to run 87, but multiple people have reported knocking and pinging on the Gen 3 Coyote when running 87. Definitely try 91-93 and see if the noise goes away.
I'll definitely try some premium fuel this Friday and update on any changes (I have about 3/4 of a tank right now of 87).

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will try and get a recording. But went on my lunch break at work and heard it again. If the premium fuel doesn't help, I may need to make an appointment for the dealership for an oil change AND for them to check this out :-\ really hope it's nothing.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Isn't the tick typically just on start-up or idle? I haven't had any ticks while in either. My issue only occurs during acceleration.
Sorry - I meant rattle. The one that happens at 2000 rpm. They all do it. I just ignore all the funky sounds and drive it lol.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqcg038ryouricn/0FAE6FA1-E730-440A-B041-1364AB9BAB4D.MOV?dl=0

Hey everyone! So I recorded a brief and super-mild version of the noise I'm hearing. I'm noticing it happens between 1500-2000 RPM's and stops afterward. It happens right at 0:09 seconds in the video (you may need to turn up the volume to hear it as it's mild and super brief). I'll try and upload a better version tomorrow as I just figured out the video camera on the iPhone catches better audio right at the end of my drive. For those who can hear it, feedback would be appreciated. And if you can't hear it I totally get it :-) will be back with a better video tomorrow.

Sponsored
OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
I tried replicating the noise while idle and hitting the gas, but it only seems to happen when Iā€™m driving on the road.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
Update: Put in Premium Fuel (91 Octane) today and it seems to be a lot better. Iā€™ll post another update to make sure itā€™s consistently better than before.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
Very true! lol glad to see another fellow Vegas person on the forums :p So far I've noticed a big difference with the premium. Car is sounding like it did the first day I purchased it. No knocking. I'll post an update later in the week to see how it runs for the entire week.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: So I put in 91 Octane Premium last Saturday. Iā€™m happy to report I havenā€™t had any engine knock whatsoever this week. Albeit, the engine knock I was experiencing was very light (and the manual says some light knock is normal), but I havenā€™t heard it at all while running premium. Iā€™ve also obviously experienced better performance from the engine. Iā€™m going to stick the premium, as I probably should have had done at the beginning. Itā€™s just the premium here in Vegas is expensive lol 3.50-3.70 per gallon. Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Sponsored