Sponsored

2020 GT500 Curb Weight and Dimensions Released

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I don't even know how they got it that heavy. The stuff we know about adds up to a car at or +/- maybe 25-30 lbs from 4000.
An easy 200lbs comes from the SC and all the coolers.
Then you have the much heavier rear axles.
Beefed up suspension components.

What can I say.......

Maybe a CobraJet themed Mustang next time?
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
4225 now add a driver.. anywhere from say 120-300lbs.. that car is going to be slow ass hell! What a disappointment from ford, jesus christ the mopar guys have 4 doors at almost that weight. Flop
Doesn’t seem to slow down the Demon. won’t slow down the 500.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
The weight doesn't matter to me. I'm not racing my GT500. Lots of people need an excuse to justify not buying a car out of there price range.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The weight doesn't matter to me. I'm not racing my GT500. Lots of people need an excuse to justify not buying a car out of there price range.
Look at it this way.
The low top speed and massive weight is how you turn a maybe into a No!
People interested in this car with that kind of money want the best and biggest bang for their money.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I think 4200+ pounds is to f#&king heavy. I also make close to 200 grand a year. What’s my excuse?

Sponsored

Flat Stanely

Yea, it's Stanley, I know
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K.C.
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Idk why people are surprised about the weight. You take a porky base model and start bolting all kinds of stuff to it....?
For people who ever compared it to a C8 are delusional. Two different categories of cars. It has more in common with 2 door Bentleys and Aston Martins, gran tourers.
If you can afford to buy at, pay ADM and track it regularly...you can afford the 10 or so different things already mentioned yo lighten the car.

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
Power is heavy. Lightweight is expensive. Everything seems in line to me, but then again people are unrealistic and want a lot of power, low weight, and cheap. Those 3 don't go together.
It’s like the old saying for production/engineering “Pick 2 fast, inexpensive and high quality but you can’t have all 3 at the same time” same here if you want light and fast it’s going to be very expensive if you want reasonable cost and fast it’s not going to be light if you want reasonable cost and light get a focus but you are not going to be fast.....lol.

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
I think 4200+ pounds is to f#&king heavy. I also make close to 200 grand a year. What’s my excuse?
Don’t need one this is not the car for you that’s fine we should all get what’s makes us the most happy obviously the GT500 does not fit that for you. I bleed Ford blue, I could afford a Mcleran, R8, NSX etc if I wanted to they just don’t fit my personality or style so a “heavy” GT500 is my kind of car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
The problem is they're tacking on $30k to the price of an (already expensive) GT350R and didn't make a single effort to make the car any lighter. Lazy engineering
Base 2020 GT350R & base 2020 GT500 are the same price.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm surprised - it's heavier than I expected. I guess it's something to talk about.

The most important things to me in a car are whether it's fun to drive and will it hold up on the track. We all know that it takes lots of hardware to keep a car cool on track. Add lots of power and you need even more cooling.

I wish the GT500 were lighter, but it makes a LOT of power and Ford has been saying it will hold up on track.

I bet the GT500 will be an absolute riot to drive on track. Just insane. Really looking forward to seeing the reviews.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Look at it this way.
People interested in this car with that kind of money want the best and biggest bang for their money.
no they dont. noone looks at 0-60 or top speed anymore

If you care about those #s, id say 90% chance you have never tried to attain them in real life.

HP sells, dynos sell, lap times sell

and most importantly, driving videos and reviews sell

Wait until it gets into the hands of some people, either magazine or private owners. The we will know if its the shit, or shit.

Until then, buyers are lined up

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
I just went and looked at the 2014 GT500 and I forgot it was 3845.
Yea, and that's another reason why I like my 2014 GT500. With good tires that car is a blast to drive. 295/35/20 front,315/35/20,out back:like:

Reactions: Ebm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Look at it this way.
Low top speed? That's a big laugh out loud. When are you going to hit 180? Certainly not on the 1/8 or the 1/4 for that matter. You wouldn't hit that on a track either. There comes a point when top speed numbers are useless.

In my opinion, the GT500 IS NOT a track car. It has several track-focused components on it that make it trackable, but there are also a plethora of creature comforts installed that drive up the weight. A true track car doesn't have creature comforts like heated seats and auto climate control and etc. First and foremost, people buy this car to either have a collectors item or for the driving experience. When I say driving experience, this doesn't translate directly to a track.
Sponsored