Sponsored

Solo / AWE / MBRP Juggling

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Recently been struggling coming to a decision on an exhaust. Think I have it narrowed down to these catbacks. What confuses me is the high pitch tone/rasp people speak of with the MBRP Street system that comes with an H. What I'm stumped on is how the Solo Performance Mach XV and Thunder can sound so deep yet they come with an X pipe. I thought I was interested in Krona but there are very few videos and I am not completely sold on it by them. I prefer a deep tone, but the Solo manufacturer videos make them sound overwhelmingly deep, like that's all there is to them. The MBRP Street sounds good at idle and cruising but apparently gets bad above 3k RPM, although I really haven't found a video to specifically portray that. I know I want a deeper tone, like Flowmaster 2 in 2 out at the resonator with no rear mufflers idle tone but without the alleged drone. Hence Solo J pipes and AWE 180 tech. I'm also being told Borla is deep. I really like the stock exhaust tone, just not the volume. I feel like a lot of exhaust brands put their own tone in it and I'm not a fan.

Not sure what type of responses I'm expected, but just some late night thoughts.​
Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Was in the same boat as you.. Debating multiple setups, listened to countless video clips. Want a nice deep sound just a bit louder than stock and easy on the wallet. So I just received my H-pipe from Steeda. Factory mufflers will remain. Hope to get it installed within the next week, time permitting.

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
I had the MBRP Street and loved it. The American Muscle video is spot on for sound. Above 3k I describe it as frappy not raspy. Still deep but the tone changes.

I recently switched the AWE Track because I wanted more volume. It sounds amazing. It does have a touch of drone but that's to be expected from a muffler delete. The AWE Touring might fit what you're looking for. The tone is refined even through high rpms.

Cold start video from my cell phone of the AWE Track

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Not sure what type of responses I'm expected, but just some late night thoughts.
Go straight for the Krona. Don’t dismiss the Krona based on lack of internet video sound clips.
Also consider Thermal R&D Exhaust. Thermal actually builds the Krona system with a few minor differences. Plus the Krona/ Thermal R&D systems are priced right for a full 304SS system.

https://thermalrd.com/products/2015...m-gt-50-years-limited-edition-catback-exhaust

Another underrated system that NO ONE ever talks about is
ARK Performance Grip.

https://arkperformance.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17_27&product_id=220

Last edited:

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Recently been struggling coming to a decision on an exhaust. Think I have it narrowed down to these catbacks. What confuses me is the high pitch tone/rasp people speak of with the MBRP Street system that comes with an H. What I'm stumped on is how the Solo Performance Mach XV and Thunder can sound so deep yet they come with an X pipe. I thought I was interested in Krona but there are very few videos and I am not completely sold on it by them. I prefer a deep tone, but the Solo manufacturer videos make them sound overwhelmingly deep, like that's all there is to them. The MBRP Street sounds good at idle and cruising but apparently gets bad above 3k RPM, although I really haven't found a video to specifically portray that. I know I want a deeper tone, like Flowmaster 2 in 2 out at the resonator with no rear mufflers idle tone but without the alleged drone. Hence Solo J pipes and AWE 180 tech. I'm also being told Borla is deep. I really like the stock exhaust tone, just not the volume. I feel like a lot of exhaust brands put their own tone in it and I'm not a fan.

Not sure what type of responses I'm expected, but just some late night thoughts.​
Where you at in CT? Shoot me a PM you can hear my Krona setup if you want.

Sponsored

MrOldschool45

MrOldschool45
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
+1 on the Thermal R&D. They're my top pick of all the exhausts that I've had on my 2017. I've had, in this order, MBRP Street, Corsa Extremes, Thermal R&D, FlowTech, and Corsa Sport(current.) Over 4k rpm and the MBRP sounded to me like a playing card in bicycle spokes. Corsa extreme sounded good, but too loud. Thermal was what I was looking for - I wish I still had it. The sound was smooth, super clean, no drone, and as the rpms and volume went up, the nice clean tone stayed the same. I switched exhausts when I went to long tubes because I thought it was too loud, it wasn't - I jumped the gun. I ended up with Corsa Sports, which are nice. If I had the funds to pick up a new exhaust right now, I would do Thermal R&D or Krona if they're similar. Thermal R&D is priced right and is high quality.
Take Care, good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I have more options on the table now, lol. First impressions I really like that ARK setup. The name is starting to ring a bell, but I never looked up any of their stuff, sounds great. Have to research Thermal R&D more, their video didn't have much to listen to but they did a great job explaining the design.

I think I am just about tossing MBRP Street from my choices, I just don't want to buy and install an exhaust knowing there is a widely disliked aspect to it, because I know for a fact that will bug me to death if I went through with it.

My very first encounter with another 2015-2017 Mustang was about 10 months ago, he got behind me, downshifted, and then we kind of played cat and mouse. It was an excellent sounding system, and I knew immediately I should have followed him to find out what it was, but I didn't. Haven't heard any others in person, for 2015-2017 at least.

Edit: listening to more clips of the ARK, it sounds like it has a pretty raspy tone at higher RPM, and it looks like it comes with an X pipe. Not too sure about this one right now but will keep looking into it.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Leading contenders right now:

Solo Mach Thunder
AWE Touring
ARH Pure Thunder (accidentally came across this when looking for ARK)
Krona / Thermal R&D

On a side note... I looooooove this sound so much:

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I have an MBRP Street in stainless steel. I think it sounds perfect, not too loud or raspy(that I can tell, sound is subjective) I do feel that there's a slight difference in tone between stainless and aluminized steel.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I would go solo. I had MBRP and went to the Solo Mach XV and I love the sound. Random people are always complimenting on the sound of the car and ask what exhaust it is.

Sponsored

MrOldschool45

MrOldschool45
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
I have an MBRP Street in stainless steel. I think it sounds perfect, not too loud or raspy(that I can tell, sound is subjective) I do feel that there's a slight difference in tone between stainless and aluminized steel.
Agreed. I had it in stainless. It was a great exhaust. At the time I had it, I wanted a different tone in the upper rpms. In no way did it sound bad at any rpm and I remember zero drone. The build quality of my MBRP Street was cleaner than both of my Corsa exhausts. I had to scrape lots of weld splatter from both of the Corsas, not-so-much with the MBRP. MBRP is the best bang for the buck at $600(I payed) for a quality stainless steel cat back.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I would go solo. I had MBRP and went to the Solo Mach XV and I love the sound. Random people are always complimenting on the sound of the car and ask what exhaust it is.
Solo's own videos of their Mach XV and Mach Thunder make it sound like it's under water, like soo deep that it's just deep and that's it. What are your comments on their videos since you own one of their systems?

Also, how does it sound on decel? Do you still get that smooth tone like stock or does it go all out with popping and crackling. I'm hoping for the first.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I don't want to sound snobby but in all honesty I am willing to pay for a good system. I live in the Northeast and daily my car so stainless is a must IMO. The MBRP Street is probably the best bang for the buck out there for catbacks for sure, but if I need to spend $1200-1500 for something that sounds fantastic throughout the band I'm OK with that. I really liked the videos of the Street system but then I started reading about that 3k+ RPM change in tone and it threw me off course a bit.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Same. I listened to dozens of exhausts when it came time to buy for my '16 GT, and through the various cars I've owned, had multiples of just about every major brand, and the Solo system just kicks ass.

- Sounds amazing - different from pretty much every other S550 option
- Very high quality fabrication
- Modular Tips
- Tips are on ball type joints so can be perfectly aligned
- Low-to-no drone, and the drone effect can be tuned out using the adjustable J-pipes
- All three models are the same except for the modular center section, so you can go super loud (cross over), moderate (11" resonator / cross over), quietest (18" resonator / cross over), so if you start at say a Thunder, do catless headers, want to dial it back, just swap out the center section

I'll put it this way, my '16 is for sale (see sig ...) and I'm either going to get a stock system and move the Solo to the new 18/19 GT, or just buy another one. Side note: it's also compatible across Coupe and Convertibles __and__ across S550 V1 and V2 (just a change of the tips).

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
Same. I listened to dozens of exhausts when it came time to buy for my '16 GT, and through the various cars I've owned, had multiples of just about every major brand, and the Solo system just kicks ass.

- Sounds amazing - different from pretty much every other S550 option
- Very high quality fabrication
- Modular Tips
- Tips are on ball type joints so can be perfectly aligned
- Low-to-no drone, and the drone effect can be tuned out using the adjustable J-pipes
- All three models are the same except for the modular center section, so you can go super loud (cross over), moderate (11" resonator / cross over), quietest (18" resonator / cross over), so if you start at say a Thunder, do catless headers, want to dial it back, just swap out the center section

I'll put it this way, my '16 is for sale (see sig ...) and I'm either going to get a stock system and move the Solo to the new 18/19 GT, or just buy another one. Side note: it's also compatible across Coupe and Convertibles __and__ across S550 V1 and V2 (just a change of the tips).
I've got an h pipe and stock mufflers I can sell you.
Sponsored