Motor Trend compares 2019 Mustang GT Convertible vs Camaro SS Convertible

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Wow, I didn't realize how horribly ugly the Camaro actually is these days. The 2017 looks pretty good, what happened?
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
For me, its dropping the top on warm commmutes home. Its enjoying the sun. Its my wife saying you cannot be in the Mustang on a nice day with the top down and be unhappy. Its being IN an environment and not just passing through.
What he said :rockon:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The 2017 looks pretty good, what happened?
"our sales are shite vs Mustang. Let's change the looks. That'll do it."
"Hey, where did we stash the gaggle of fresh grads? Surely they can design something that looks fresh and appeals to the youth."

Forgetting of course that the 'youth' can't afford to (don't want to) buy a car let alone Camaro these days. At least not in any kind of decent numbers. Downward spiral continues.

I own both 6G cars and while I agree the older Camaro looks better, I don't hate the new look. That sill height, though, that's just nuts.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I have always loved convertible. I've got a 2016 GT Mustang Convertible right now. I have no experience with the Camaro but I do love the look and operation of it's top. The fact that it's 100% automatic, capable of operating at speeds up to 30 mph, and is fully trimmed out when down is very appealing but as you pointed out, you get those features at the expense of trunk space and that's a compromise I find totally unacceptable.

Sponsored

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
one of those things that the 6 gen camaro chassis is really good, perhaps better, but i just don't like how it looks/feels

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I would think a drop top Camaro would be the best Camaro to own. It would do away with that bunker feeling. At least while your driving with the top down. Which is about 5% of the time. The rest of the time. Same Camaro problems. :explode: I’m really happy MT likes it.:wink: But I’ll be happier when the 7th gen comes out and they just make a better designed car. GM has got their moneys worth out of this flat roof design.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've always liked my '70 Mustang convertible, but never felt I could afford a new one. They are definitely great to drive with the top down on the handful of days where it is nice enough to do so. I do envy those that live in areas where it's enjoyable to have the top down more often than not.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Never been a big convertible fan, certainly where I live it's either too hot or too cold to really enjoy it. That being said, if I went 'vert it wouldn't be for performance and I would go Ecoboost.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Never been a big convertible fan, certainly where I live it's either too hot or too cold to really enjoy it. That being said, if I went 'vert it wouldn't be for performance and I would go Ecoboost.

My Ecoboost vert is the best cruising car I've ever owned plenty of power and very good looking.

Last edited:

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Transformers are still in charge of design at GM
Retarded execs approving making decisions. Wouldnt be surprised if it was the same shit heads that approved the 19 silverado, pontiac aztek, chevy hhr. thats just to name a few.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Retarded execs approving making decisions. Wouldnt be surprised if it was the same shit heads that approved the 19 silverado, pontiac aztek, chevy hhr. thats just to name a few.
Little OT, but funny you mention the HHR. I got one as a rental once, less than 10K on the odometer. The interior was literally falling apart. I've had lots of rental cars, and those things are often ridden hard and put away wet, but I had never seen one with such low miles in such poor condition. Oh, then I noticed I couldn't see out of it. The A-pillars are about a foot wide.

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
Having to be fully stopped to raise/lower the top is a pain in my Mustang, but it's more than made up for by being able to carry a large range bag, ammo box, and bag of carbines to the local shooting spot with the top down.

BULLITTGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
The 2020 Camaro convertible doesn’t look half bad now that they moved the “flow-tie” and added body color to the front bumper/fangs area.
1C9B3FEE-233C-474D-9939-8E70903B7858.jpeg
Sponsored