Sponsored

Not quite cheating on your S550 (what cars have u thought about and why, why not)

What others cars do you think of buying to replace/compliment your Stang

• Total voters

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Most of us love our Stangs, I do. It's a beast. With the mods I've done, its insane. That said, as a car enthusiast the mind drifts and I often think about other cars that I would add to my stable to complement or replace the Mustang. In reality, I'm unlikely to do this even though I've owned this car for longer than others (4+ years!) and I really enjoy it, its literally in pristine condition. Sharing my list and want to hear yours!

First - why my Stang is not perfect (no car is). I love the handling, suspension feel, speed and sound (intoxicating), looks, interior, long distance comfort, huge trunk, good visibility and ergonomics. I have only two minor complaints.

1) Back seats are a PITA with my toddler (YOGA GURUs can apply) - the rear seat is set back deep in from the door and the sloping roof line means I keep hitting my head on the glass and roof. I struggle to get out of it with the toddler in my arms. That said, he will be moving to front facing child seats soon so theres that.

2) I'd like more steering feedback from the front. It's super precise with the mods I've done and much lighter feeling (considering two piece rotors to drop more unsprung weight), but feedback is meh. I'm going to go with the lateral ball joints and bumpsteer kit to address as many people have mentioned it makes a huge difference.

What FUN I've eyed (new cars only), why and why not. It's subjective so realize many will think there are some odd ones here!

1) Civic R (Replace) - Civic R is 4 doors and more practical. Does NOT drive like a FWD thanks to Honda's black magic. Not as fast in a straight line but very good handling. Easier to drive all out than Mustang in twisty roads (or any RWD car for that matter). I challenge most to keep up with this car on a narrow backroad, I know I cant. The GT will take it on most tracks (except the very tight ones) with the stock PPs and I suspec the new High Performance Ecoboost will also do the same (not comparing modifications like mine as the sky is the limit on both cars).

Why not: FWD, FWD! Ugh. FWD (for what is a LOT of money for FWD). Sound is shitty. They took the bold design and went overboard, too many fake busy design elements and the wing is too big. It's hard to trade a sonorous V8 for a 4 cylinder T. Dealer markups.

Verdict: Dialed In from the factory. Clean up the design and make a lightweight AWD version (if its going to cost this much).

2) BMW M2 Competition (Replace)- With the M3's Inline 6, there is a lot of power and the same boisterous rowdy nature that our Stangs have. It's more agile feeling from the factory although with my mods that difference is gone and my GT has more feedback from the suspension (the only difference I notice is the front end is more quick to turn in and it feels lighter when pushed in turns Vs my GT). Rear seats are weirdly enough more easy to access. Back end oversteer is easier to manage as its more progressive.

Why not: I dont think its a 60K car. AT ALL. Rubbery shifter. Numb steering. BMW's are built to be disposable (I owned an M6), the turbo's are even worse. Doesnt really feel like an upgrade to the GT. Exhaust note is just not great.

Verdict: Price to performance ratio is not worth it. BMW is working to improve their steering in their newer platforms, jury is out.

3) Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor(Replace) - HOLY SHIT. Forget this cars official power figure. The throttle response and acceleration is SUPER QUICK. This car feels waaay quicker than its power to weight ratio suggests. Feels much quicker <50 mph than my GT. I like the interior and the exterior is not bad. VERY PRACTICAL, lots of storage. The hyper-quick steering has no feel but better turn in than Mustang.

Why not: Tesla nickles and dimes you with options. Any color thats nice is $$. So are the wheels. The real range is not 320 miles like advertised. You are supposed to charge to 90% to protect battery. Additionally, those ranges are stated at <60mph on freeway. My friends who drive the Model 3 Dual Motor like I drive my Stang are getting ~200 miles. In the winter, even WORSE. Understeers when you push really push it and does not want to oversteer on throttle. Super intrusive ESP. Acceleration quickly tapers out at 60mph, where my Stang is just getting started.

Verdict: Wait, these electric cars are getting exponentially better every year.

4) Shelby GT 350 R (Replace): Need not say more in a Mustang forum. This car is as good as it gets south of the 911 GT3 RS.

Why not: Dealer markups, concerns with long term reliability of the Voodoo and replacement costs if things go south. Oil consumption. Still has the backseat issue of my GT. A bit too wide for Seattle roads like my neighborhood.

Verdict: The best, but will keep me up at night, same rear seat access issue.

5) Camaro SS 1LE (Replace): Superb track ready (looking at your GT PP2) car for a reasonable price. I believe it has a HUD, which I like and want. The pre-refresh 1LE is nice looking although I prefer the pre-refresh Stang more. I dont like the post refresh designs of either (except the sexy Bullitt!)

Why not: This has been covered extensively here. TOTALLY IMPRACTICAL. Who the F makes a car this large with so little occupant and rear trunk room. It's ridiculous. Dark dungeon like feel with really high belt line. Same stupid rear seat access as my Stang, but worse space in the back. Horrible ergonomics including an idiotic and ugly tilted screen. GM screwed it up. A bit rough around the edges.

Verdict: A VERY FLAWED superhero. The compromises are too much. Pass.

6) Hyundai Veloster N (Compliment): This is a surprise entry. It's not as capable as the Type R, but more fun. The steering has more feedback and the car is more playful, but sacrificed outright speed. 3rd door makes it easy with the kid, although the rear is still for children (fine by me). Super cheap to buy and maintain, Hyundai has a 10 year warranty, so can keep Stang as well. The famous ex head of BMW's M division was responsible for this car. I like its looks.

Why not: Not reasons really. Yes, the interior is very functional but super cheap feeling. Yes, its FWD. But its a cheap car that rotates and that I wont mind beating on! Ugh, this one is tough. I dont care about badge snobbery but I can see many who wont do it. No heritage.

Verdict: Very tempting. No real negatives. Get to keep the Stang. Hmmmmmmmmm...

7) Kia Stinger/Genesis G70 3.3 T (Replace): I havent driven the Genesis. Both are 4 door practical sports sedans. Lovely looks, great warranties, reliability should be solid, powerful engines, AWD option (with 90% to rear torque lock option coming next year and rear mechanical LSD in AWD). The Stinger has a MASSIVE HATCH.

Why not: The current Stinger is very softly sprung and damped, the rear jiggles and wallows. The body is NOT stiff, it needs more bracing. I think the big rear hatch is a cause for this. Engine note is meh. There are hardly any Genesis dealers here so forget that car.

Verdict: Not dialed in enough but watch these cars.

8) Mazda Miata RF 2019 (Complement): Light, high revving engine, proper sporty car thats just fun, accessible, playful. It's really one of the best sports cars you can buy and doesnt take itself too seriously. I like the RF. You can get Brembo brakes, BBS wheels, Recaro seats now.

Why not: If I get another car to complement mine it better have usable rear seats given where I am in life. Wife and dad both think they are ridiculous toy-like feminine cars, go figure. No other negatives, this is a GREAT car.

Verdict: Want but not now.

9) Lexus GSF (Replace): Roomy, lovely engine, composed chassis that handles well but is very comfortable, great turn in, one of the best sports sedans made, top quality interior. A true work of mastery. Toyota and Lexus are the most reliable cars in the world.

Why not: EXTREMELY numb but nicely weighted and responsive steering, low torque for a heavy sedan, looks are meh, feels 20K too expensive. Maybe a bit boring.

Verdict: The practical choice, but I just cant sell the Stang for it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I changed from Mustang to Corvette mostly for variety, but also I wanted a car that was lighter weight and more balanced. I think the latest Corvettes have some design/construction issues that are a concern for me - the roof being the main one, but also head room is too limited. Direct injection without supplemental port injection is a concern for me for long term engine reliability.

I like BMW, but I don't like the sounds the straight 6 makes and the interior buttons on the M3 I tested seemed cheap to me. I've considered buying a used BMW with a V8, though.

I like Porsche, but value for the money is important to me. I don't think Porsche gives good value for the money. I also find momentum cars a little boring and Porsche engine sounds aren't my favorite. The cabin in the Cayman is too tight, but I have considered a 911. Just too much money for what you get, though.

Camaro is a little too much like the Mustang. I don't like the cabin's ergonomics and poor sight lines. The engine isn't that great in my opinion, not only power production but the direct injection design. I don't love the transmission either.

I'm not really interested in the other cars on your list.

I'm hoping Dodge and Renault make a deal and the Alpine comes over here with a manual transmission. If that happened I would want one.

edit: Challenger I like and if I were to give up road course driving I might buy one. I think they are great highway/GT cars. Nice and roomy, very comfortable - the car has plenty of power with the big CI V8 that I love and they lay on the road nicely.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
New replacement for the Mustang, if I were inclined: Challenger 392 of some type. Probably a Scat Pack, maybe a 1320. Arguably last of a dying breed that doesn't seem to die. And that's great.

Complement: 1986 Mustang SVO. Weird pick, huh? Well, I wanted one in high school when they were new, and there was no way to swing one back then. Or a couple years later mired in college. And after that I sort of forgot about them until the last couple of years. If it weren't for home improvement projects, I'd be buying one this year. I'll get one eventually.

Of course, the list would be bigger if I had more garage space, but I only have three stalls available for non-drivers....

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
For me will be the new 911.992 Carrera 4S eventually but this will take some time and planning to happen especially since it will not replace my Mustang but will compliment it.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I can't believe you don't have the new Supra as an option. Had it been out when I bought my car last year, I would've been torn on what to get. I also disagree with you saying the turbo BMWs are built poorly. My N54 335i was great up until I sold it with 95k miles. The only problem with it was the electric water pump going out. Surely you aren't judging BMW based on the reliability of your M6 (especially if it was the S85 V10)?

Also saying the Type R should have AWD?? That is blasphemy. The whole appeal of that car is that it is lighter and more track focused than a Golf R and Focus RS...

But anyway, if I had to replace my Mustang, I'd get a new Supra or M2 Comp.

If I were to compliment the Mustang, I'd get a new X5 w/ the B58.

Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I wouldn't replace my BULLITT with any of the above or anything else for that matter. But, I would certainly add a Golf R as a daily driver given the BULLITT is a fair weather car only, and not a DD.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I bought the Mustang I have because it fit my criteria the best, including price, so there's really nothing I can think of that I would replace it with. If I had the money, I would certainly like to buy additional cars, like maybe a C7, or for daily driving, a Genesis G70 or Kia Stinger, or any one of a number of cars that could be fun to drive, but given what I wanted to spend on a car and the capabilities I was looking for, the '18 Mustang and '16 CX-5 I have are all I need.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
When I see a Hellcat Challenger widebody on the road I am definitely drawn to it. But then I remember it weighs 4,500 lbs. My PP1 at 3,800 lbs is heavy enough. Plus, my car was much, much less expensive, and I wouldn't pay the huge $ differential for a fat widebody Challenger. I also don't like the silhouette of the rear end of the Challengers. The rear bumper is much too tall. They look great, though, from a 45 deg angle at all sides. That said, my Mustang looks better IMO from every angle.

I really like the modern Porsche 911s, particularly the GT3 and Turbo/Turbo S. Those machines are just plain awesome, but out of my price range at this stage of life.

Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Audi S6. I miss my S4, and would love the extra power of the S6

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I can't believe you don't have the new Supra as an option. Had it been out when I bought my car last year, I would've been torn on what to get. I also disagree with you saying the turbo BMWs are built poorly. My N54 335i was great up until I sold it with 95k miles. The only problem with it was the electric water pump going out. Surely you aren't judging BMW based on the reliability of your M6 (especially if it was the S85 V10)?

Also saying the Type R should have AWD?? That is blasphemy. The whole appeal of that car is that it is lighter and more track focused than a Golf R and Focus RS...

But anyway, if I had to replace my Mustang, I'd get a new Supra or M2 Comp.
I've had friends with lots of issues with their 335s, including the water pump (which was the most common issue). Having said that, It's anecdotal I guess - but I've been scared away from the brand.

I added the Supra, good call on that. Would love to read about how it compares Vs M2 comp. Apparently Toyota did a full disassemble and analysis of the engine and sent BMW a ton of suggestions which were incorporated (interview with Tetsuya Tada, Supra's Chief Engineer) so there's that. I'd go for that over the comp if 1) I could swing a two seater based on what I'm reading on the Supra, also because I didnt like the way the comp rode.

Type R going AWD is blasphemy and I agree, it totally doesnt need it. It's just my bias - I cant spent 40K or more for a FWD car, no matter how good. It's a stupid thing I cant get past. Maybe tone down the looks, add AWD and sell an Acura version.

When I see a Hellcat Challenger wide body on the road I am definitely drawn to it. But then I remember it weighs 4,500 lbs. My PP1 at 3,800 lbs is heavy enough. Plus, my car was much, much less expensive, and I wouldn't pay the huge $ differential for a fat wide body Challenger. I also don't like the silhouette of the rear end of the Challengers. The rear bumper is much too tall. They look great, though, from a 45 deg angle at all sides. That said, my Mustang looks better IMO from every angle.
Yeah, the Chargers and Challengers are a totally different experience. Heavy, boaty, comfy and really just fantastic cruisers for the wide open roads of America with old school muscle attitude. They are a unique set of cars, but not my cup of tea. I'm an SUV guy for wide open long distance cross country travel and for commute, autocross and mountain roads more of a sports car kind of guy (I consider the Mustang to have evolved to be waaaay more on the sports car spectrum while showing its muscle roots). Agreed, the rear end of the Challenger is odd.

If I were to compare Challenger or Charger Vs it would be the Stinger. I would go for that over the Dodges. I hope Kia keeps working that platform as they are off to a solid start.

Audi S6. I miss my S4, and would love the extra power of the S6
My neighbor has an S6. Thing is a rocket. Designed to be a luxurious Autobahn eater, unfortunately our stupid speed limits mean its leashed. Not a fan of the lesser Audis (S4 etc) - but I do like the looks of its sister the S5 Sportback.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
My neighbor has an S6. Thing is a rocket. Designed to be a luxurious Autobahn eater, unfortunately our stupid speed limits mean its leashed. Not a fan of the lesser Audis (S4 etc) - but I do like the looks of its sister the S5 Sportback.
The current gen S6 is quick, very similar to an A10 GT PP1 but the GT will trap 7 more mph - lighter and slightly more powerful (C&D 12.1 @ 120 mph for the A10 GT PP1 vs 12.4 @ 113 mph for the S6). That said, interestingly, my GT's naturally aspirated 5.0 liter V8 makes 10 more hp than the Audi's twin turbo 4.0 liter V8. I know which engine I would choose between the two if given the choice (the Gen 3 Coyote).

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I won’t be replacing the stang. But I will be needing a new daily soon. And an STi fits the bill. All wheel drive for bad weather. Fun. Sporty.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
the S5 and S4 are the same chassis, same engine. the S3 is a 9 second car with bolt ons and tune.

The current gen S6 is quick, very similar to an A10 GT PP1 but the GT will trap 7 more mph - lighter and slightly more powerful (C&D 12.1 @ 120 mph for the A10 GT PP1 vs 12.4 @ 113 mph for the S6). That said, interestingly, my GT's naturally aspirated 5.0 liter V8 makes 10 more hp than the Audi's twin turbo 4.0 liter V8. I know which engine I would choose between the two if given the choice (the Gen 3 Coyote).
Audi's TT V8 is severely de-tuned. Its a 10 second car, tune only. All day, any weather.
Sponsored