Sponsored

Digital Instrument Cluster go blank?

wustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I have a 2018 EcoBoost Premium with the digital dash and was driving home tonight when the instrument cluster abruptly went blank without warning. Car continued to drive as normal. The screen magically reappeared about 3 seconds later and all seemed well again. Anyone else had this happen? Thanks.
Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I have a 2018 EcoBoost Premium with the digital dash and was driving home tonight when the instrument cluster abruptly went blank without warning. Car continued to drive as normal. The screen magically reappeared about 3 seconds later and all seemed well again. Anyone else had this happen? Thanks.
I believe there was a TSB about this. I would run it to a dealer and have them make sure you have the latest firmware for it.

Balloonatic84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Orange Fury - On Order!
I believe there was a TSB about this. I would run it to a dealer and have them make sure you have the latest firmware for it.
Does anyone happen to know the TSB that was raised for this and/or have a link to it? My new UK-spec GT has a similar issue but hasn't left the dealership yet, they believe they need to order an entire new cluster but if there is a firmware update that may resolve the issue I want to make sure they've covered that off.

Currently being told a new cluster cannot be ordered until Jan 7th, so its going to be a long wait!

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone happen to know the TSB that was raised for this and/or have a link to it? My new UK-spec GT has a similar issue but hasn't left the dealership yet, they believe they need to order an entire new cluster but if there is a firmware update that may resolve the issue I want to make sure they've covered that off.

Currently being told a new cluster cannot be ordered until Jan 7th, so its going to be a long wait!
I found it for you but I am not sure it is the same issue as what you are having. See below.

2018 Ford Mustang ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:INSTRUMENT PANEL/SOFTWARE

Year: 2018 Mustang

NHTSA Campaign #: 17V814000

Date Announced: DECEMBER 18, 2017

Summary: Ford Motor Company is recalling certain 2018 Ford Mustang vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission and a 12.4" digital instrument cluster. If the ignition is turned off when the transmission is not in PARK, the instrument cluster may not illuminate the PRNDL gear position display and the operator may not receive the "Key in Ignition" chime when the driver's door is opened. As such, these vehicles fails to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 102, "Transmission Shift Lever Sequence/Starter Interlock/Transmission Braking Effect, " and number 114, "Theft Protection."

Actions: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will update the instrument cluster software, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 5, 2018. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 17C21.

Balloonatic84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Orange Fury - On Order!
Thanks for taking the time to respond - I found this one too but agree that I don't think this is the same issue - Mine is also a manual.

I didn't get to experience the issue first hand but from what I've been told it seems exactly as Wustang has described.

Going to be a long wait it seems!

Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for taking the time to respond - I found this one too but agree that I don't think this is the same issue - Mine is also a manual.

I didn't get to experience the issue first hand but from what I've been told it seems exactly as Wustang has described.

Going to be a long wait it seems!
Hope it gets resolved for you soon. It’s a beautiful display once it’s working.

biscuit60177

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I've never had that happen thankfully. I have had issues with the color changes I make not staying and always reverting back to the default blue no matter what I try. I wonder if there are larger issues that need to be addressed with the system as a whole.

StynkyLomax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 10R80
Interesting

I washed my vehicle today and as I went to move it I started it up and got a completely blank digital cluster along with a Ford Pass alert saying "Restraints indicator lamp warning". I heard some extra ding noises but couldn't see anything due to the blank cluster. A few start cycles didn't bring it back. I unhooked the negative battery cable and waited about 30 seconds and BOOM back on. Anyone else get a blank dash at start-up? I'll be taking it to the dealership Monday for a free oil change so I'll mention the issue.

Ginger1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
Interesting

I washed my vehicle today and as I went to move it I started it up and got a completely blank digital cluster along with a Ford Pass alert saying "Restraints indicator lamp warning". I heard some extra ding noises but couldn't see anything due to the blank cluster. A few start cycles didn't bring it back. I unhooked the negative battery cable and waited about 30 seconds and BOOM back on. Anyone else get a blank dash at start-up? I'll be taking it to the dealership Monday for a free oil change so I'll mention the issue.
Yep. Same thing happened tonight. Center stack screen with HVAC and radio controls was fine, but instrument panel was blank. Unhooked the battery and went back to normal. 18 EcoBoost Premium w/10 Speed.

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
I had the display go out once while driving. Stayed off about 10 seconds then came back on. Strange!

Sponsored

DetroitMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
Mine went black today, came back on in about 5-10 seconds. This is the second time.
The first time was soon after I bought it last year and less then 1000 miles on it.
I have almost 20,000 now. It seems OK, I'm thinking maybe an update through WiFi ?? Maybe it just needed a reboot.
It really kind of scared me both times.......

mosher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
moshe
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 GT PP
2018 gt Digital Cluster go blank.
Firmware update,battery reset,all done.does not work.
Any new insights in the forum.
thanks

gnatsuM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Had this happen 3 times over the past month at highway speed. Display blanks for 5 sec or so. Took it into dealership and they said there's no TSB and could find no fault code.

JJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Mine happened yesterday fo 10 seconds, went to dealership this morning and told the same - no TSB. Maybe corrupt software? Thought they would have reloaded software to try.