Sponsored

Senior S550 Owners Like Black Wheels?

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
These are the wheels I'm ordering.

I do see the appeal of the black-out style that's popular now, but speaking only as one Certified Old Guy I have a deep, nostalgic preference for bright metal on cars.
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I didn't expect to like the PP black wheels on my 2015 GTPP but quickly realized that with darker colors such as Ruby Red that they look better (to me) than silver, especially "bright" silver, wheels. Therefore I ordered my 2018 GT PP with the same black PP wheels. Also my autocross Forgestar wheels are black.

I'm over 70.

sobaylouie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
OK, so there is no separate senior folder yet (and maybe there will never be), but this question is targeted at 50 and up owners. Do you like black wheels? It's fairly obvious they are more popular with the younger crowd.

I did not like them at all when they first became prevalent, but they have grown on me somewhat on cars in certain colors. (Mean look with magnetic.) Even so, I would only consider gloss black because you know when they're clean. Also, mesh style or any intricate spoke pattern seems pointless since it's difficult to see except up close. Black PP1 wheels come to mind. In most cases a charcoal or graphite will show the spoke pattern much better while still giving a darker look.

What do you think of them? :)
I am 78 yrs joung and have the blk package on my 2018 GT.....Love them easy to cln too!

Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Another hater here. Iā€™m 55 and have never liked all black wheels. They are nothing new. First saw all black on a buddies car back in ā€˜83 and thought it looked horrible then and still do, so itā€™s not necessarily an age thing. That is for all black though. black with a polished lip is completely different. Couldnā€™t get them off my car fast enough!
E41AA60B-73C8-4186-A377-8D0B92A20BED.jpeg

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
Iā€™m 58 and love the black wheels on my Orange Fury Mustang. I donā€™t think black wheels go with every color, though.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I'm 53, and had the black wheels. Traded them out for Graphite. Not a fan of black wheels.
20180801_081302.jpg
61094346_10155924388991580_5510726508609536000_o.jpg

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
61 here. Absolutely dislike black wheels. I prefer silver painted or like mine the luster nickle finish. Not a fan of polished aluminum or chrome either.
I do however now like the 2012-13 Boss 302 black wheels only on those specific cars, which I am not sure why. Maybe it is the silver around the edge to break it up. But I still do not like the Bullitt wheels which are similar.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
A very busy pattern in black just looks like a black hole from certain angles
+1.

I do not like black PP wheels, but did not want to pay for other OEM options.

Shopping for wheels that would be

- lightweight (<24 lbs each), 18-19 inch, not really looking into plus sizes.
- look classy (remind some of the old mustang wheel designs)
- fit pp brembos...
- strong. Not doung track, but autox occasionally.

Possible?

Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
OK, so there is no separate senior folder yet (and maybe there will never be), but this question is targeted at 50 and up owners. Do you like black wheels? It's fairly obvious they are more popular with the younger crowd.

I did not like them at all when they first became prevalent, but they have grown on me somewhat on cars in certain colors. (Mean look with magnetic.) Even so, I would only consider gloss black because you know when they're clean. Also, mesh style or any intricate spoke pattern seems pointless since it's difficult to see except up close. Black PP1 wheels come to mind. In most cases a charcoal or graphite will show the spoke pattern much better while still giving a darker look.

What do you think of them? :)
I am 73,and I like the old Cragar Chrome wheels,the new black wheels remind me of ugly wagon wheels.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
+1.

I do not like black PP wheels, but did not want to pay for other OEM options.

Shopping for wheels that would be

- lightweight (<24 lbs each), 18-19 inch, not really looking into plus sizes.
- look classy (remind some of the old mustang wheel designs)
- fit pp brembos...
- strong. Not doung track, but autox occasionally.

Possible?
You will need at least a 19 to clear the PP1 brembos.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
You will need at least a 19 to clear the PP1 brembos.
Very few 18 fit, but there are some users of those here at forum.

By now I'm considering these: LMR SVE SP2

They are modern, lightweight, might be associated with old classy designs depending on how you look at them.

Wish they had silver color option, but gloss graphite might be ok.

Do not cost leg and arm, but not dirt cheap either.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Generally I am not a big fan of Black wheels but prefer silver wheels. Having said that I really like the black wheels on my BULLITT. I think this has to do with the silver edge on the rim which makes a break between the black rim and black tire.