Warming up the car before pushing it.

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
Maybe a stupid question but what are the things you look at to figure out that the car is warmed up enough to go WOT. I have a 2018 GT pp1 and usually I wait for the engine temp gauge to be in the green (indicating normal). Is it enough? Should I wait for any other reading (gearbox oil temp, oil psi, etc...) before considering the car reading to be pushed?
Sponsored

PanicSwitch89

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Manual PP1 RC
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I leave launch control turned on..."LC" will pop up next to your driving modes in the hud which means the car is telling me it's properly warmed up. To me it's the simplest way to tell.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I start it up and wait about 10 -20 seconds and go. I don’t really push it hard for the 1st few minutes.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I have a Performance Pack car, so I just wait until the oil pressure drops to a normal level. When I start the car, it's near 100 PSI, after a couple minutes, it drops to 30-40.

JR

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
When first starting up, I let it do its warm up procedure aka idling over 1k rpm for several seconds. After it drops back down to 1k rpm or below, I drive conservatively(below 3k rpm) until fully warmed up. It's overkill, but it's just how I like doing things. I check 2 things to make sure the car is warmed up. I check oil temp and cylinder head temp readings. Make sure oil temp is in the green and cylinder head is at least 195 degrees like said above.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You want the engine itself to be at operating temp (~200* CHT) before pushing it semi-hard and you want the oil temp to also be in the lower mid section of the graph before going to redline.

The others (diff, trans etc) should be fine by those points also. The biggest thing with the engine is you want all clearances to be expanded to their normal range so you don't have cylinder wall scoring or excessive high oil pressure.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
When first starting up, I let it do its warm up procedure aka idling over 1k rpm for several seconds. After it drops back down to 1k rpm or below, I drive conservatively(below 3k rpm) until fully warmed up. It's overkill, but it's just how I like doing things. I check 2 things to make sure the car is warmed up. I check oil temp and cylinder head temp readings. Make sure oil temp is in the green and cylinder head is at least 195 degrees like said above.
This is what I do as well.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I leave launch control turned on..."LC" will pop up next to your driving modes in the hud which means the car is telling me it's properly warmed up. To me it's the simplest way to tell.
I didn't know the LC light is not on when the car is cold that's interesting should test it. Otherwise I mostly watch the tires PSI if it's around 2.5 bar (factory is 2.2) mean my tires are hot enough not to kill me.

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
I’m a puss. Transmission to 150F, and all should be good. By then, everything else is up.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I wait for the oil temp to hit normal.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
What I do as well. LC will come on around the time the coolant temp gauge is about 40%. It's never good to start a cold engine and go straight to WOT. Most modern engines can handle it for a while, but you will likely pay in the long run.

OP
OP

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
Thanks all for the feedback. Looks like head temp of 195 and normal oil temp is on the safe side. I'll also might test that LC icon to see what are the conditions for it to show up.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I do the same but I've let my cars idle in the garage for about 10 minutes before leaving (going back to my first new car - a 1990 Mustang GT Convertible) - overkill and unnecessary by some estimates - but I'm old school.
Sponsored